Is It Time For Ranged Weapons To Get An Over-All Buff?

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by JMBOO, Feb 16, 2013.

1. JMBOO New Player

Plain and simple, I personnally think that it is time Ranged Weapons got some over-all love.

With the unbalanced Blockbreaker window and melee weapons having a +20% control resist and +15% Critical Hit Magnitude innate buffs, I really think it is time to swing the pendulum back a bit to make ranged a bit more viable again.

I would definitely like to see the Blockbreak/Block windows balanced for all weapons, as it is just a terribly implemented mechanic the way it is.

I think this would definitely help ranged users, especially in PvP, as they would no longer have the 2-3 seconds of vulnerability after throwing a blockbreaker.

This, in turn, would make this part of the system much more reliant on skill, as blocking would actually have more of a downside, especially if they are able to fix the over-all stability of how the Block/Blockbreaker system works.

Also, I think ranged weapons should receive some sort of innate buffs to bring them more in line with their melee counter-parts.

Maybe something like 3-7% Crit Hit Chance and 10%-15% Control Resist.

I understand why they buffed the melee weapons, however, I honestly think that it is time to give ranged users some love again.

Anyway, anybody else have any thoughts on this matter?

The floor is all yours.
    • Like x 4
  2. TrueMarvel New Player

Nope. Ranged weapons don't have the same risks as melee.

Melee is kinda like Big Risks= Big Rewards
    Ranged is kinda like Safe=Moderate Rewards
    • Like x 1
  3. Sechuran Fox Dedicated Player

In other games I generally find that to be true, but here I'm not so sure. The distance required by ranged is easily bridged with a lunge and all characters have a lunge at creation. I just don't think that ranged is actually that safe.
  4. JMBOO New Player

Well, I think it depends on the situation, as you can get pulled from the back at any time, so ranged is not as safe as it may first appear, at least from my experience.

Also, in PvP, I see ranged being the riskier of the two options due to the window imbalance and having no innate buffs.

I do see your point, however, and thank you for the thoughtful response.
  5. TrueMarvel New Player

Actually concerning PVP, you might be right.
    But I kinda consider it to be a combat mechanics issue that the devs need to fix rather than ranged need a buff.
    so yea. I just might agree with you on this now that I've thought about it more
  6. Try Hard Well-Known Player

I would agree,and also have to disagree with the "risk" melee users claim to have,the staff spin and other ranged attacks of some of the melee weapons make it so you can safely melee from a ranged distance and have all the crit/clip benefits making ranged weapons seem less attractive.I don't know what they could do but I know something must be done.
    (Must make it clear I don't want any kind of nerf to melee weapons but would like something to be done to ranged weapons)
  7. YodaDog New Player

+1. Im not complaining about MA, but since the switch, I just havent been comfortable with it so Ive been healing arenas with my bow. Its just not nearly the same.. Even when I work the RPS right and counter properly, the damage just isnt there. And the fact that practically noone uses ranged weapons in arenas, proves the OP's case well enough for me.
  8. Gwalir Loyal Player

I've always thought they should just buff the Square moves of all the weapons. This way, someone using Focused Spin from Staff won't get the buff, while someone who is using the Lunging move from Bow is.
  9. TK PUSHA Dedicated Player

i think there is definitely room for discussion on the matter.

It would be nice to see Range get buffs that were different than the melee ones to encourage variety of play styles.

MOre than anything, In regards to PvP, both Range and Melee weapons need the counter attack system completely overhauled before anything else should be tweaked.
  10. Radium Devoted Player

I wouldn't normally agree, but the fact that all melee weapons charge range moves hit harder than anything a range weapon puts out means it's time for one.

I see 3k crits on DW and Staff from a distance, why can't other weapons see those numbers (animation time withstanding).
  11. RamsesVIIX New Player

Range weapons or a must in Prime, had to switch to my CC Rifle dang those Avatars!
  12. Shadow Vlad New Player

^ makes sense
  13. NCR RANGER New Player

I want more combos for the weapons we already have.
  14. ArcSin1 New Player

They really aren't the lunges easily cover the distance, basically the lunge is the ranged attack for melee. Since gu13 ranged is pretty unplayable for pvp.
  15. Disasterpiece New Player

I used staff in melee for week 1 of DLC3 release and had no problem melee DPSing prime and getting the speed feat. Range isn't a must anywhere, what is a must is situational awareness. You just need to know where the boss' blind spot is and where to stay away from.
  16. Volaron New Player

^ I haven't ranged since inner.With the whole risk >reward it's the complete opposite in pvp. Range is VERY dangerous to use. in PvE once you get it down meleeing isn't hard at all (even if the bosses now block.)
  17. Riot New Player

+1
    It's beyond time for a ranged weapon buff.

The theory of risk/reward is flawed. Melee weapons put out huge crits safely from range.

Ranged weapons can engage close range and take all the risk while putting out minimal damage.

Secondly, melee weapons are allowed 3 normal hits before being countered by block.
    Counter Intuitively, the weaker range weapons are 100% countered on all normal (non block breaking) attacks by Interupts.

A buff is in order.
    • Like x 2
  18. RamsesVIIX New Player

Yeah I usually brawl with hard light, but just noticed an overall better score with the rifle since I wasn't getting so up close to those avatars.
  19. Disasterpiece New Player

You aren't doing better damage because you're range, you're doing better damage because rifle is better for light jump cancels. Go into melee range with that rifle and watch how much more damage you get.
  20. RamsesVIIX New Player

Also I get scared when I'm in Prime so I like to stay back.