Is it time for dot power Dps to go?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BipolarDiva, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

Serious question. If we can't compete from the tray with no weapon. Then why would we limit ourselves in Dps stance?I'm really at a loss. I Don't hate but choose not to use a weapon. I thought this would be an option . I personally believe the game combined with so many burst powers should spell the end of dot Dps . it's not viable or competitive.
    • Like x 2
  2. Reformed New Player

dot dps is fine

i think the issue is how dumbed down the burst powers are
    • Like x 2
  3. Streven Dedicated Player

Many of us like the DOT powers. Wouldn't mind a bit more damage on the dots themselves but overall the playstyle has appeal to many. My 2 cents.
    • Like x 7
  4. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

That is AN issue but not the one this thread is addressing. However I honestly do appreciate your view as well thank you.
  5. Grumpy Dedicated Player

Unless the damage is significantly increased before GU50 hits live, hell yes.
    • Like x 3
  6. Reformed New Player

you CHOOSE not to use your weapon. The idea is that you set up your dots, combine them into a more powerful single dot, then keep that single dot going. Maintaining that dot doesn't take 100% of your time, so it is expected that you spend your free time performing weapon attacks.

very much like the Pet AMs. You pop your pet, he does his attacks, and while he's doing that, you spend your free time doing weapon combos.

Burst powers are dumbed down such that 99% of your time is spent doing the AM side and not using weapon combos. Of course, players might be able to clip range taps between the powers, but they won't be able to perform combos during the AM.

As a result, dot dps is fine.
    • Like x 6
  7. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

Thank you for your input. I disagree with them being weapon of lose out. I do understand you àre saying you approve with restricting it in this manner.I believe the opposite thank you for taking the time to respond.
    • Like x 1
  8. Electrizzaro Loyal Player

Many do very much enjoy the Dot powers....many of them also do NOT enjoy the WM combos...that is fair. I would LOVE for the Dot powers to be able to be played from the tray and I do not think it would take to much to get it done. I do not know Nature AT ALL but I do know Electric. I like to play from the tray and most of my attacks are Arc>VB>SW Alt hat would need to be done is to have that combo or even just Arc>VB, since SW is not part of the AM, do roughly the same damage as the standard WM combo for the same time needed to preform the move. Simple

There are other ways to go about it for sure...that is just one simple suggestion.
    • Like x 5
  9. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

Side note. No one liked my "big hit" ala emp, splosion idea? A GIANT insta-cast feed me Seymour plant?
    No one? :(
  10. Reformed New Player

You're literally trying to rewrite the entire mechanic. The game doesn't force you to use your weapon, you just won't be competitive as a result.

Nature and Electricity are DOT based AMs. That means you WILL have free time in between refreshing your DOT. Like I said before, the Pet AMs are exactly the same. This time is spent supporting your DOTs with weapon combos. And no, you don't use Weapon Mastery, it's a waste of dps that way.

If you want an EMP attack, switch to gadgets.

Btw, EMP is the focal point of Gadgets AM. And you want that type of power ON TOP of your actual AM? This thread is ridiculous!
    • Like x 3
  11. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

12. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

Excuse me I was going for a smile or laugh with that suggestion. I see that you are feeling somewhat combative tonight. I am not. Thank you for taking the time to post. God bless.
  13. Veritech Loyal Player

It is what it is.
    There are 5 types of AMs to choose from. If you're not happy with DoT powers and want to 'play from the tray' I'd suggest moving to Advanced Interactions, Mobile Focused or Combo powers.
    Devs have designed the DoT and Pet AMs to be supplemented with weapon attacks and I don't think we will change their direction on that (lord knows the earth community has tried).
    • Like x 4
  14. BipolarDiva Loyal Player

Maybe you are right. I find that a little sad. I. Thought Dps was damage per second. I just don't get the restrictions imposed on a power I love. It is not my intention to argue. If this is what the devs want then I will delete my nature toon. I will not pay for a respect as that allows them to make money from a decision
    I don't agree with. I'll play my other toons instead.
  15. Ariyana2015 Committed Player

Until the AM's were introduced no one played from just the tray did they? So in essence, if almost all the other powers were transformed into being able to be played by just using the tray then why can't dot powers? Nature transforms from human to wolf or whatever so technically has plenty of moves to keep a nature player busy. Its is far more complex than the 1,2,3,4 of many of the powers. The dot powers need to be buffed up a bit more so they are in line with the other powers.

Pure logic would suggest the more difficult a power is to do well the more rewarded someone should be....

(I am more interested in the powers being balanced than I am interested in just being able to play from the tray. However, my point was there isn't any reason they couldn't do something similar with these powers.)
    • Like x 4
  16. David Ivanenko Committed Player

That's the reason I love DoT and Pet powersets.

While my DoTs are up or my pet is annoying adds/bosses I can walk around rallying people, activating cogs, avoiding imminent danger, etc.
    Then again, I don't give a rat's behind about the scoreboard or being "Expendable and Carried"... I mean, "Èlite & Compet...whatever" as long as the instance is completed without much trouble or taking 5 and a half hours.

The damage on DoTs pretty much sucks right now (waiting on GU50) but depending on how instances are made from now on, DoT powers could have an even ground to do damage (no adds dying in a single rotation or boss fights that can be exploited) so I'll wait and see before jumping to conclusions.
    • Like x 7
  17. Humane Committed Player

I still enjoy playing Nature and weapon attacks are part and parcel of DoT powers and I don't see that changing.
  18. Humane Committed Player

Why? Because he doesn't care about the Scorecard? I don't either.
    With that logic it sounds like you are the type of player who never picks up anyone who is down and tries to top the card all the time. No? Sucks to be labeled doesn't it?
    • Like x 9
  19. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

At least you can actually use a full ranged loadout..
    Regards decidated rage player.
  20. MetalMario Loyal Player

The whole point is that they play differently. It's a good thing to have variety. If you want to just do a pure power spam class, half of the AM types allow for that. If you insist on an inferior playstyle for a dot class you should get inferior results so there's no problem here.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.