Is DCUO an MMO for DC fans only?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by DC Urban, Feb 11, 2018.

1. DC Urban Committed Player

Do you have to be a DC fan to truly appreciate and enjoy DCUO?

Honestly, I am not referring to the posters whom really know about Batman or Superman, I mean casual mmo goers whom never read a comic book.

Me, I am somewhere in the middle. The ES series got me into RPG. I was amazed at the degree of character customization, which got me hooked on the notion of playing a game through your creations of mind.

From there, I started to just play rpg games such as Fallout, ES, etc. From there, I got into MMO through PSO.

Then I discovered CoX, only to find out it was non playable (LMAO).

I am not a hardcore comic book fan. I read a few, but not often. There is a disconnect; with every Superman, Batman, or Flash content that gets released, I am like "Meh," but everyone around me are like "Awesome" referencing events I never heard of lol.

Don't get me wrong, I know a little something about Marvel and DC, mostly Icon, cause he is Black lol, but not really a hardcore super hero fan.

As I mentioned, there is a disconnect. I enjoy CO, I enjoyed goofing around on the CoH icon playground, but why can't I get into DCUO? I am thinking to myself, it is a superhero mmo, just like the aforementioned two mmo, the game-play is not horrible perse, where is the disconnect? Ever since DCUO's inception, I always envisioned of playing a truly unique character, this is not the game for that because iconics are what drives this game.

I have already figured out DCUO is not the mmo for me, but before I jet. I wanted to know your thoughts on this, Do you have to be a DC fan to truly appreciate and enjoy DCUO? Before you scream yes, If you have a Batman, Flash, or WW inspired character or two, I am not referring to you, but rather, casual mmo goers. I spend most of my time talking about other super hero mmo while here.

There are many mmo I can jump on and enjoy, like STO, but the heavy DC emphasis is a turnoff. Are DC fans the ones whom truly enjoy and appreciate DCUO?
  2. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

I'm not a heavy comic reader either, I like DC but I'm not a nut over it. I guess I appreciate gameplay more then story and content, so while others may be gawking and throwing parties over deluge and the Superman arcs, the people like me who wonder if/pray that the content will actually be enjoyable are left in the dark.
    • Like x 1
  3. GalaxySniper Loyal Player

There are a lot of ppl who love comic books but hate DCUO and their are ppl who love comic book and love DCUO. It a matter of preference towards the individual.
  4. GingerOnTheRocks Well-Known Player

Honestly I think DC fans are what keeps this game afloat. It attracts fans that otherwise would be playing better games. If you take away the DC from the game, purely from an MMO perspective you are left with a game that has a somewhat interesting combat system and content, but broken pvp and so many pay to win mechanics.

Coming from other MMOs (WoW mainly) when I first started reading through the forums I was surprised to find a lack of outrage, in some cases even acceptance, of all these money hungry mechanics plaguing the game. It kind of makes sense when you realize most players are coming from the ps4, where there is a lack of choice in MMOs. I think if most people had experience of what most other MMOs offer in terms of fairness (again I think WoW is pretty much the gold standard) they wouldn't be here.
    • Like x 4
  5. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

You don't have to be a hardcore DC fan to get into the game...but it helps immensely. What is required to a larger degree is being a SUPERHERO MMO fan. On the console side there is ZERO competition for Superhero MMOs, and only a trickling of the typical MMO fare. Whereas the PC side is littered with typical MMOs and only two Superhero MMOs. So it's either Superheroes in general or DC specifically....if neither does it for you, you should be looking elsewhere, and I don't say that to push people out of the game. It just doesn't make much sense to be here if neither one does it for you.
    • Like x 1
  6. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

I was never really heavy into comic books .. Just not available in the area I grew up in without a pretty long car trip. But i am an old fart and I was around and watched the ORIGINAL Batman TV show with Adam West. After that I got into the animated TV shows and then the animated movies... and then of course the live action movies began... I have seen every single Batman movie starting with the two starring Michael Keaton.. and YES I suffered through that horrible ordeal with George Clooney.. please let's not dwell on that and just try to forget it LOL

I'd say to truly enjoy the game you should have at least some interest in the world of Super Heroes. it is much more entertaining if you know who the big bad boss your battling is and can relate to the fact that your character just defeated Darkseid or Felix Faust or Trigon and you now share that accomplishment with who ever your favorite Super hero happens to be.

Makes things a lot clearer as well.. Now it has been announced and beginning in April we will see and be involved in a huge three month celebration of Superman's 80th birthday... The event will revolve around Superman's epic battle with Doomsday. SMALL SPOILER ALERT for any not familiar with this story line.... (although these days all you have to do it goggle it to see the same thing ).. The story is that DOOMSDAY is a genetically engineered killing machine that Superman faces in combat and is actually killed by the monster. Eventually Superman returned .. seems its not all THAT easy to kill a super powered Kryptonian. But if you go to Metropolis you will find the huge statue and giant chest emblem in the park. And click the Kiosk and BOOSTER Gold will fill you in on how those are there to honor Superman for dying to save the city from Doomsday. its a very well known story among comic book fans and was adapted into an animated film not to mention being shown as the finale of the Batman vs Superman Live action movie.

Not sure exactly how or what they plan to do in game using THAT story line but as players we will get to be a part of it. A player with no clue may enjoy getting to bash a giant killing machine monster but the comic book/TV/Movie crowd will get a lot more out of it.
    • Like x 4
  7. golddragon71 Dedicated Player

I'm a huge comic book fan and not the best gamer. (I almost quit the game due to the snobbishness of long-term MMOers)
    I love DC online because it allows me to have my own creations interact with the established heroes of the DCU even if only in a marginal capacity. Also I like representing characters who aren't shown in any real way in the game itself (Wally West Flash for example)
    Lord knows I've seen fans of other Comic Companies add their favorite characters into the mix. (how many hulks do you see in the course of a day?) I really have no problem with it either. i say, the more the merrier (after all, when are we EVER going to see an official Marvel vs DC game?
    • Like x 2
  8. Tilz Loyal Player

Never read comic books, but like some movies and tv showes :D
    I guess I am just here
    • Like x 1
  9. Attackfrog Active Player

I like dc comics.

I like marvel comics.

I like making and leveling a hero in this game.

The end game in this game is just stupid (play the broker/pay real money to collect fashion pieces for sps...?) Yeah this end game blows hard, but the character creation and leveling are really fun, even for non dc fans.

You would have to be a dc fan to love end game in this game, but otherwise, it's still a super fun super hero mmo.
  10. krytine Loyal Player

I get what your saying I do. What I do like or did was when they ran with the most popular story lines its been years since I have read any comics and it gets me when the more obscure lines come out. It gets the directors devs everyone more freedom to put thier vision on things and frankly I am tied of everyone else's vision other then the big stories that did well in the comics that hooked a lot of people. But the biggest thing I like about this game was the interactions with others and that is nearly gone to. So I am hoping for some major improvements before I walk away. But several of my real life friends got me hook on it and we get to bs have fun. Hanging and distressing from work.
  11. Skandov Well-Known Player

Couldn't have said it better :)
    • Like x 1
  12. Zlohsac Committed Player

I think there are a couple different types of players in DCUO. You have the full-on DC fanboys that get excited about the content, they go nuts when it's announced that they'll be fighting a well known DC super villain or fighting alongside their favorite DC superheroes. They're generally your lifers, they'll be here for as long as the game is around.

Then you have superhero MMO fans (I would fall into this category), there's a decent chance they came here from CoX looking for a superhero MMO to fill the void that was created when it went offline. Or, they came here looking to check out DCUO and see what it has to offer.

I think this game really is for the DC fanboys. If you take away the DC-oriented content, you have a game with a good combat system and...that's about it. Everything else is done better elsewhere.
    • Like x 1
  13. BestPlayerAfrica Well-Known Player

kinda .. u gotta rly like DC to not instant rage quit the game once u understand all the money-grab mechanics imo
  14. WhiteW0lf Devoted Player

Ive never read a comic book in my life, but I am a huge superhero fan. And DC is my favorite. I like the shows and movies. My knowledge of the comic book storylines mostly only exists because I play this game and read these forums.

Ive been playing DCUO for 7? Years...maybe 8? But DCUO was my first experience with mmo's and it is my first love. I've taken short breaks but I always come back.
    • Like x 2
  15. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

I think there's a lot of overlap. I'm a DC Comics fan, but before I started playing DCUO, I was only really interested in Batman. DCUO exposed me to a whole variety of different DC licenses, many of which all have crossovers. I've become very fond of a lot more DC franchises and characters, which has made me a bigger DC Comics fan than I was.

However, the reason I chose to play DCUO in the first place was because I was blown away by the concept of World of Warcraft and discovered that DC Comics was doing it's own version. So I didn't pick this game up simply because it had the DC Comics logo on it. It was the idea of having your own character and levelling them up to make them stronger, to fight stronger enemies, which drew me in.

But when I consider the question "would I continue to play if the game is stripped of the DC Comics license?", I think I'd have to say no. That leads me to conclude that I'm mostly here for the lore.

That doesn't mean I don't care about the integrity of the game and the experiences it offers because that's very important to me. But I honestly don't think I could care any more if the license was stripped away and everything became generic, original properties.

It's a tough one, but I'd say I'm 75/25 here because of the lore.
    • Like x 1
  16. JKwak Well-Known Player

I m not a big DC fan honestly, some times I don't even get the story line of some dlc's and I have to ask other players what actually is going on I did not get the earth 3 dlc for example and I think I have to ask many questions on the death of Superman dlc everything I know is he died.
    But I like superheroe themed mmo's and when City of heroes shut down I tried champions and I did not like it, the only other game at this time was Dcuo and it was much better, not as good as Cohen and I was not able to recreate my old main heroes because power sets are to different, but good enough.
    If a new superheroe mmos comes out and it's better (for me) than dcuo I m out, until then it has an undeserved second place after coherent.
  17. the solowing Steadfast Player

For those diehard, no. The IP will draw them here but the game play lacks staying power. It's more a novelty that wears off after the story is finished
  18. Black Prime OG Devoted Player

I enjoy comics, but not crazy about them. Most of the in-game stories are ok. The best, and some what misleading, video, advertising, or whatever you want to call it is the very beginning intro video. Everything else is some what of a let down. The game is advertised in that video as being a bit more gritty and violent. That's not really the case.

PvP used to keep me coming back, but that's not the case much anymore.

I think the fact I've put so much time into this game, I just don't want to start over on another game is a major reason I keep coming back.
  19. spack2k Steadfast Player

i came for DC stayed for the UO
    • Like x 1
  20. SkullGang Devoted Player

Being tied to DC is a good and bad thing. It's good because its well known and attracts players that enjoy the comics etc. Its bad because its becomes limiting it what it can and cannot do. A lot of game features are locked out due to it being tied to an IP.