Is Captain Marvel even allowed to be in Legends? (From a Legal Standpoint)

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Hero of Justice, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Hero of Justice New Player

As the title says, does anyone know if Captain Marvel could even be in Legends nowadays with Shazam the new name of his character? I know he's in the game itself but Shazam has gained traction as "the" name in the three years that DCUO has been out. Would DC allow a Captain Marvel Legend when he's known as Shazam now, or are there legal barriers blocking the use of the name after the change?
  2. CCBatson Dedicated Player

The only legal barriers I am aware of is in terms of publishing titles. DCUO could have Captain Marvel in game (and does) under either name. I suspect though, because of the efforts of trying to make a clean break, that even though the setting of DCUO is not the Earth Prime of New 52, they might choose to use Shazam as his name over Captain Marvel.

Personally though I'd just be glad to have him and Mary in the game, regardless of the name. And I really would love Mary to be "White" Mary, rather than "Black Mary" but I suspect there'd be more demand for "Black Mary".