Work In Progress Introducing The R&D Gear System!

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Mepps, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

I think you may be combining a few things.

If you are only using R&D, playing 5 days a week, about 6 weeks to make one item. You do have the ability to play more or replay.

If you are getting drops AND doing R&D, 6-8 weeks to get all four items depending on your luck.
    • Like x 2
  2. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We are not designing the system as a replacement to getting drops. If you choose to get no drops at all, and only to do R&D, you will take a long time. That is intended.

Unlike before, you CAN progress this way, but it's not what we recommend. We recommend playing the whole game.
    • Like x 3
  3. Veritasum Loyal Player

See below:

EDIT: Sorry Mepps. Not trying to steal your thunder.
    • Like x 2
  4. Pez Fedora Developer

Like mentioned before. They're complementary. If you're playing and collecting gear scraps - that means you're getting drops. If you're getting drops, you'll run into rare pieces actually dropping. R&D works in conjunction with drops, not opposite.
    • Like x 1
  5. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Updated the FAQ:

Q: Does salvaging gear for R&D components count for salvage feats?
    A: Yes. When you salvage gear, you still get the same R&D components you have received previously, plus the new gear scrap component. Salvaging is unchanged and still counts for salvaging feats.
    • Like x 4
  6. TRELL1 Well-Known Player

Lol the response to my error was strong.
  7. TRELL1 Well-Known Player

I didn't intend to make it out as an alternative. I just want to know if you should have all 4 of those best pieces via R&D/drops within the time that it is best.
  8. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Makes sense. To be clear, you should not. You're welcome to take as long as you want if you want to go that route, but to stay on the bleeding-edge of new content, you need R&D plus drops.
    • Like x 1
  9. ChillCat Loyal Player

So if I were to look at the best way to maximize my time/value, would it look something like this?

1. Ep 18 drops and I start playing the content regularly
    2. I mod and apply rare dops. Anything less I salvage but hold on to (DON'T craft) the scraps in my bank
    3. Round about week 6 after Ep 18 drops, I will use the inventoried scraps to craft any rare pieces I haven't gotten through regular play
    4. Rinse and repeat by rolling over any unused scraps into the following Episodes 6-week salvage window
  10. Greenchain Well-Known Player

You had me at Weapon Reward box!!!

This is the best thing to come out since I've been on DCUO.

My only last request to this is bringing back a precision based gear set for my HL and Celestial toons.
    • Like x 1
  11. BigBabyGeezuz Dedicated Player

I don't think rings and face should ONLY be R&D. I've been paying my sub for four years, I don't always want to play 10 hours a day/5 days a week. It's a nice option to craft, but it shouldn't be mandatory to get the best gear. I prefer to spend my replays on raids till I have all the drops I want.
    • Like x 2
  12. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

Sounds like good news. I'm sceptic about the costs until I see them but I think many peope who get hung up about taking a long time to craft a full set (or are already crying and throwing a tantrum about noobs getting a free pass to endgame) are forgetting that rare gear isn't needed for progression. Vendor gear is enough and crafting a full set of rare gear is neither needed nor intended. And most low SP whatever noobs can already get through endgame by grinding out vendor gear or getting carried through rare drop content so this is no issue whatsoever, just a display of misinformation or ignorance.

Downside of the 3 month thing and components not being tradable is that for most those plans will be one-time only, and the components will be trash after 20 weeks. Upside is that this potentially extends the lifespan of content from the beginning of a cycle to until the last episode of the cycle gets replaced, apart from marks.

Lastly, "Weapon Reward Box" wowowow :D
    • Like x 1
  13. akaivy Dedicated Player

Darn you answered my question but I asked it wrong. Does crafting count towards the crafting feat is what I meant to ask.
  14. Trexlight Devoted Player

You wont truly rely on R&D Crafting to make an entire set unless you spend a LARGE amounts of replays and remember Gear from Ep18 wont be replaced until Ep21 so it'll still be the best for 3 months
    • Like x 1
  15. Marcellus Moore New Player

Thanks Devs! You are AWESOME!
    [IMG]
  16. Mr. Awesome Well-Known Player

Good system. Really like it so far. Still looking it over.

I'm not sure how I feel about having to choose between buying a plan with marks or buying vendor gear. Considering they are slanted to be similar prices.

Q: Why can't vendor gear be upgraded? You might have answered this. If so you can just quote your previous answer.

Very glad that gear will not become obsolete within the first month.

I am not sure how I feel about raids still being put on a pedestal.

Q: Doesn't this still screw over the smaller content players?

End Post
  17. SixSigma Well-Known Player

Mepps (and/or and Dev), is there any chance that the Omnipotent Gear is going to be included in this somehow. So that we can either create updated Omnipotent Gear. Example would be an Omnipotent plan where you could only create one of the components from salvaging the same piece of Omnipotent gear.
  18. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

There are probably a lot of ways to maximize based on your playstyle and preferences. That sounds solid. :)
    • Like x 5
  19. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

If you're not on the bleeding edge, you're not on the bleeding edge - and that's completely up to you. That said, it is also up to you how much those rings and face are worth in terms of stats and CR.

The huge benefit that is related, is standardizing to exactly 4 drops every time (and with increased drop rates to boot). It means each month feels the same, rewards the same, is the same in terms of drop rates. No more months that feel off or different because there are more or less items.
    • Like x 3
  20. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Yes.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.