Work In Progress Introducing The R&D Gear System!

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Mepps, Oct 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Superskull85 Devoted Player

Considering you have no idea what "6 weeks at 5 days a week without Replay Badges" amounts to in terms of effort I think you should hold you reservations. As an example if it means running all Solos, Duos, 4-Mans and 8-Mans during those 6 weeks, 5 days a week then that means quite a bit of effort for 1 piece of gear. It is not exactly a "FREE Ride to End Game Content" since you would need to play that same "End Game Content" to be able to craft that one piece.

Also to everyone else you should keep in mind that it is not intended to replacing rare gear outright. It is intended to guarantee at the very minimum 2 pieces of rare gear in the slots you want in the 12 weeks the gear is relevant. It lessens the luck but is not intended to complete replace it thus why it will take a long time. It is similar to rare styles and why they have a higher mark cost.
    • Like x 7
  2. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

You just may need to save it for a while...
  3. ChillCat Loyal Player

I'm confused. How did you find a gif that is both completely inappropriate and 100% appropriate (as a replay) at the same time? ;)
    • Like x 4
  4. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

I'm going to go ahead and note the exact date and time of this post. ;)
    • Like x 15
  5. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

The key thing here is the type of scrap you get will be different based on what content the gear comes from.

For example, the green item level 122 gear from Episode 18 will salvage into one kind of scrap, and the green item level 132 gear from Episode 21 will salvage into a completely different kind of scrap. Each kind of scrap builds the gear from its 3-month cycle.
    • Like x 2
  6. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

Increased number of bank slots confirmed!

;)
    • Like x 2
  7. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Going the R&D-only route is pretty crazy, and *not* what the system is designed for. It is designed as a complementary way to progess along with drops. You can choose not to get any drops, but at that point you're playing a very different game.
    • Like x 3
  8. akaivy Dedicated Player

Thanks. Will creation of gear count towards the salvaging feat?
  9. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Aw. :oops:

1) TBD as we work out the exact cost specifics. Similar to vendor gear or a higher.
    2) TBD, but non-Members will be able to participate.
    3) No. Vendor gear is not salvagable.
    4) Each 3-month cycle has its own scrap to build its own gear.
    • Like x 3
  10. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

You have it right. Month 1's gear costs won't change when Month 2 hits, but Month 2's gear will require more scraps than Month 1's. Why? Once Month 2 is out, you can run both Month 1 and Month 2 content every day/week, and so on.
    • Like x 2
  11. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

There is a mark cost involved in both the plans and the Matter Enhancers, so don't celebrate too much.
    • Like x 1
  12. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

At launch, this will only apply to Episode 18 content. So not quite.
  13. akaivy Dedicated Player

Not at first and maybe not at all. It appears to only for the current ep starting with 18. They said they might add older content later.
  14. akaivy Dedicated Player

Darn it. Mepps can type fast.
  15. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

1) Sort of - remember scraps come from all content, not just raids, and raids being weekly while other content is daily means there are a lot of scraps to be found in non-raid content, and that's part of our calculations. But, to your point, non-raid content costs a lot less in badges to replay.
    2) The items you build with R&D are identical to what drops, and we're not digging into any changes there right now.
  16. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Re: Elite. We want to see how the system goes, and, well, Episode 18 launch is really soon. We're killing ourselves to get this designed and implemented on our current schedule, and it's just one thing that can wait. We don't want to in any way devalue the feeling of accomplishment that comes from Elite.
    • Like x 7
  17. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

We made it to page 3!

I think anyone breaking down the amount of scraps required will realize this isn't a free ride to anything. We have taken this general concern into account by designing this as a complementary system to drops - which are definitely something achieved.
    • Like x 19
  18. akaivy Dedicated Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 14
  19. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

I want to jump in here and talk about how long gear is best, or "relevant" as you say here. Each month's gear, every Episode's gear, is best for 12 weeks. The next month's gear is best for another 12 weeks, and those periods overlap. The rolling content window also applies to gear. I think that's what you're saying, but I wanted to try to spell it out for everyone.

Episode 18's gear is the stuff to have all the way up until Episode 21 launches.
    • Like x 1
  20. Delta795 New Player

• Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.