Info about MarvelUO, and a tibit of info on DCUO

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Savior Prime, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Savior Prime Dedicated Player

An unannounced MMORPG based on a Marvel IP is in the works at Dimensional Ink, the studio behind DC Universe Online and subsidiary of Daybreak Game Studio. The game's development will be led by Jack Emmert, who designed City of Heroes and who currently leads development on DCUO. The project is a long-term one, so don't expect to hear more until 2023 at the soonest.

The news that the game exists came via an investor presentation from Enad Global 7, the company that owns Daybreak. The presentation lists it as "Unannounced MMORPG" and says it's a "Marvel IP based massively multiplayer online game." Dimensional Ink is based in Austin, Texas, and currently runs DC Universe Online.

Daybreak has had a lot of success as a publisher of MMOs, especially the ones that have sustained an interested audience despite never rising to the top of the heap. They're the publisher of Lord of the Rings Online, which is getting a revamp to go along with Amazon's TV series. DC Universe Online is also scheduled to get an upgrade, with "a graphics upgrade and the largest expansion content to date" scheduled for 2023.

Dimensional Ink's website has a space for an unannounced project, but little else.

Received from this article

https://www.pcgamer.com/a-marvel-mm... based on,currently leads development on DCUO.
  2. Jcal Dedicated Player

Old news, friend. :)

We've had multiple threads already. Exciting times ahead, but we'll have to wait to hear more.
    • Like x 8
  3. the solowing Steadfast Player

Ill believe it when i see it. Investor calls use too much fluff jargon for my liking.

"CD Projekt joint-CEO Adam Kaciński has praised Cyberpunk 2077's performance on PS4 and Xbox One in an investor call"
    • Like x 2
  4. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I read this and got excited as well. Then I read it again, then I saw the news stories. Once my initial excitement subsided, it became very apparent that information is really slim. First, the Marvel MMO, we may be a year away from an announcement only. An MMO takes years to develop, and you can bet Disney is going to be all over QC. Second, we knew about the graphics upgrade. And I'm not sure how the "biggest expansion ever" isn't the same hyperbole that we hear every DLC. Hall of legends was called the biggest DLC ever. When lairs dropped, that was the biggest DLC ever, when crafting came out....you get the picture.
    • Like x 4
  5. zZzTorrOzZz Committed Player

6. Harlequin Devoted Player

Stopped caring right there. Look at his portfolio and the systems (monetization) he has brought to those games and you will learn why.
    • Like x 1
  7. KneelBeforeZodd Dedicated Player

In the other hand the game peaked players (coming from a almost 70% downfall) and profit with him on the lead. So it's a double edged sword.

And it can't (I mean, it's pretty hard) be worse than the other Online Marvel games (Marvel Heroes and the Avengers game were both P2W and had a bad combat) so right there he already wins a lot of people.
    • Like x 1
  8. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

If you mean "Marvel's Avengers," it's not at all pay-to-win. For literally less than a week there was an option to purchase two-hour or one day or two day XP boosters (1.5x), but the reaction was so bad, that disappeared in under a week.

Aside from that blip, there's been zero options to pay to win; the only thing you can buy after purchasing the game are cosmetics.

And the combat is fantastic. The big problem with the game is that there's little variety in levels or enemies. Only in the past month did they finally add a single difficult end-game raid, so the game gives one little to look forward to after reaching endgame. Once you're past the initial fun, you have little left to look forward to but repetition.

In any case, it's not really an MMORPG; it's more of a single-player/squad type game that allows random strangers to join your group. Though the matching/lobby also sucks.

But it's a lot of fun to play before you get to endgame, even with not much variety and pretty much only robots to kill.

IMO.
    • Like x 3
  9. Burning_Baron Loyal Player

neither of those games have bad combat. what are you talking about. nor were they pay to win. COstumes in Marvel heroes just cost an arm and a leg.
    • Like x 2
  10. Illumin411 Loyal Player

Avengers was never pay to win and the combat is actually it’s shining strength. It’s the sluggish pace of endgame content rollout (they just released their first raid) and it’s loot system (which just got a bit better with the recent update) that has been holding it back. For a while it was super buggy but that has been majorly addressed.
    • Like x 1
  11. Savior Prime Dedicated Player

I'm mainly excited about the "DC Universe Online is also scheduled to get an upgrade, with "a graphics upgrade and the largest expansion content to date" scheduled for 2023."
    • Like x 2
  12. Controller Devoted Player

Good Times for both Marvel AND DCUO.

Just PLEASE give me some Blue Marvel in the Marvel MMO.

13. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

This seems familiar somehow.... ;) ;)