Impaling Ice while in ice dps stance bugged

Discussion in 'Old Arkham (Bug Archive)' started by NexGen, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NexGen New Player

I've not noticed this anywhere but Nexus, but 100% of the time, when an ice dps uses impaling ice, aggro is immediately peeled away from the tank. This was tested with many ice powers, and none had the effect other than impaling ice.

How to replicate: tank taunts as usual (bitter winds, for example) and all adds either snap to me, or remain with me. Ice dps uses impaling ice within 1-2 seconds of the taunt and now tank is ignored with all adds leaving the tank's side and swarming the ice dps. Happened 10 for 10 in tests, was tested on the hallway adds leading to the split bosses in nexus, as well as the Lex bosses in all rooms.

To be clear: I am not referring to a random targeted skull attack. I am speaking of the regular melee enemy attacks that have never left my side in years of tanking. Also, no other powerset can peel them from me in this manner no matter what move (or equivalent finisher even). It is only impaling ice. The ice dps was not in tank stance. The enemies were in my face, punching me all about the head and body, and the taunt was fresh. The dps would even wait to ensure I just taunted, and they would still snap to him.

It is basically being considered a taunt while in dps stance. Fire does not have this problem, nor does gadgets, quantum, sorc, or mental.

Other notes: the person who was getting killed after every impaling ice just used a power respec token to switch back to ice. Had him relog, switch to tank and then back to dps, and even waited a full day - same results every time.

Bottom line: impaling ice is taunting, and stealing all aggro, even when the tank is doing it right.
    • Like x 31
  2. 478874 Dedicated Player

+1, this explains a lot for some things I;ve seen as well.
  3. Radium Devoted Player

Jesus...
    Seriously? Thats whats doing all this?

I mean, I've had some weird moments in Nexus, I'll be off to the side while doing my rotations and the bosses will just keep coming for me over and over and over. I've seen them actually stop and look at me without doing anything while the Tank is popping powers just trying to get him to turn. Just me.

Same thing in Family Reunion, I can't really DPS that raid. Batman follows me like the Terminator and all I can really do is a quick combo with Impaling Ice and Frost Snipe.

I thought I was crazy...
  4. NexGen New Player

Can you add to the conversation? What did you notice?

At first, I thought....well, maybe I just didn't catch that add, or maybe I was sleepy and it was my fault. That's not normally the case though, so we went to testing in the hallways with no other dps helping and me (ice tank) and the ice dps working on one add alone. I'd have aggro, fresh taunt cast, and the enemy is on me as he should be. Immediately after impaling ice: boom, thr enemy is hunting the dps down like he owed him money. It negated my taunt fully. Is it impaling ice? Is it because I'm ice? Who knows, but the only move that did it was impaling ice.
  5. Potent New Player

broken power is broken
  6. NexGen New Player

G
    Glad to hear it - not because it stinks, but because it helps confirm things a bit lol.

In this case, was the tank also ice?
  7. Radium Devoted Player

Yeah actually, he was. But the fact that this makes any Tank turn like that is mind boggling.
  8. NexGen New Player

I ask only because I am unsure if it's an ice tank/ice dps thing, or if the tank has no bearing. I can check later, but for now, it is certain that impaling ice is 100% peeling away from ice tanks.
  9. 478874 Dedicated Player

Yes, I can add.

Ran Nexus this past week with the league, a group a highly skilled, hyper aware players including one player who is Ice DPS. He normally tanks but he wanted to DPS this round, so we just grabbed another tank from the league. Anyway, he was taking an abnormal amount of damage and died a few times at the start of the raid, from what appeared like the Lex's were suddenly dropping aggro and just going after him non-stop. As a healer, I take it personally when players die under my watch regardless, so I began watching him more closely to try to preempt whatever was happening to him. It really did seem like the lex's hated him much more, almost like he was taunting them away from the tank. As I said, this player is quite good, so I know it wasn't any sort of loose play or risk taking on his behalf. At the time I don't think any of put two and two together with Ice DPS powers possibly taunting.

Anyway, by the end of the raid, it had become a joke for that run because the lex's were going after him so often, for no obvious reason. I know for a fact that he was running impaling ice though I also suspect, now that you mention it, that it could affect more than just impaling ice.
  10. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

HAHA wow, that explains a lot. I was raging one day cause I was asked to DPS on my ice guy. Second I started going I pulled agro and died. Picked up, boom agro again, dead. Picked up, agro again, dead. ARRGGGGGG, picked up again, dead. WTFFFFFF!!!!!1!!1!

In the end I ended up just saying screw it and going back to my quantum guy to finish the raid helping them out =).

Ran it again the other day but using snowball where I usually use Impaling and didn't have the issue.

Can't say 100% sure that it's impaling but it definetly doesn't contradict what has been said here, looks like impaling is acting funky.
    • Like x 1
  11. 478874 Dedicated Player

Yes, our tank was Ice as well.
  12. Radium Devoted Player

Well I'll be the one to say it.

Our first Nexus run I died 97 times, I more than doubled just about everyone.
    • Like x 2
  13. NexGen New Player

Our guy switched to snowball as well and everything behaved as normal then. Not much of a finisher though, using snowball instead of impaling ice.

I'm not one to pander for upvotes or "likes" but I will ask for it here, in the initial post. I think the devs stated once that the more votes, the higher the priority for bug fixes.
  14. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

Hmm i can see if it is happening with the fire version today maybe. The only thing I can think of is that its an ICE Tank + ICE DPS problem where it thinks the dps is actually the Tank for some reason. If that is the case then yes a tank hitting for 2-4k damage is going to jump everyone on the aggro table instantly.
    • Like x 1
  15. Flightboy New Player

+1 With this theory I'd like to run as tank and see if impaling ice still has the "aggro steal" effect with another tank class. Although hearing Morty grunt after buffing himself only to get one shotted immediately afterwards was pretty funny!! Lol.
  16. thenewkidd New Player

use Impaling Ice also...

I don't think it gives you a Defense buff if you use it.. but you can use it to grab back aggro then Reflect to protect and block.
  17. NexGen New Player

Read the thread next time. I'm not talking about a tank using impaling ice lol. That's....a strange concept. Please stay on topic.
    • Like x 1
  18. NexGen New Player

Mass det or snuff out do not do this. Quantum and sorc do not do this with their 35 and below move. Gadgets photon blast does not do this. Mental's finisher does not do this. ALL finishers have been tested and only one was doing it - impaling ice. I may get on my fire tank or see if Flightboy will tank for more testing.

If you get the chance soulburn, please let me know if impaling ice is peeling from you as fire.
  19. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

Im thinking it has to be like same powerset tank and dps problem, i know it doesn't do it if the tank is ice or earth when I use it as a dps so it might be an ice only problem, ill do some testing if i can and let you know if fire tank + fire dps has the same issue
  20. thenewkidd New Player

The subject was "Ice DPS is stealing aggro by using impaling ice"..

OK...
    That's a problem... and its on topic to say...
    "For the time being.. use impaling ice to grab aggro back".. it's on topic.

I read the thread, I was offering a solution to the problem until the "bug" gets fixed.... Yes it's 'strange' to use as a tank.. but if it's a super "aggro getting power".. the next test should be if YOU use at and someone else uses it.. do you still lose aggro?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.