Imagine the day DCUO looked and felt like Fortnite!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by GothamKnight38, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

They need to find some kind of workaround. Im always going to bring it back to no new powers, but theres alot going against the “ fun meter” right now. Now new powers and old graphics are at the top of my list… besides the tunic of greed not getting fixed.

U know, its just been so long since we got something thats not story .. a graphics update really wouldnt make the game more fun, nope we need new abilities
  2. Jason Martin Dedicated Player

They don't have to take the current game down during that time lol. I don't know where you guys took this idea.
    • Like x 1
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

It would take over a year to rebuild DCUO on a new engine.
    • Like x 1
  4. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Imagine if the people who want DC to look and feel like Fortnite... just went and played Fortnite instead.

Man, I hate the look and feel of that game.
    • Like x 2
  5. Toshknight Loyal Player

your talking about the engine, it plays smooth, the build is very unique, they have john freakin wick, yea i would love to see a Star wars, a marvel, a dc, an action rpg story based linear exploration game built on the epic engine, would be great, is epic on it's own engine or is it on unreal? i have said the same thing, but a MMO like that would be hard, and take years, but would be cool. if you wanted it to be stylistically as diverse as dcuo, that would take a long time. but yea.. the models look cool in that game, and they move and play fluid well as well, thats what happens when a game is developed nearly 7 years later in time, and even just in the last couple years they started adding real IP characters. but no argument
  6. Toshknight Loyal Player

for sure, if they were just to take DCUO and convert it to that art style, its not just the look, its a totally new game basically as your saying, i think it would take at least 3 years to build the base and all the asset for a game the size of dcuo, it would be better to just make a new game. but thats not really a reality, a linear 3rd person action rpg , not online would be better IMO but thats another conversation.
    • Like x 1
  7. Toshknight Loyal Player

you dont like the smooth movements and great control optimization ? i mean i agree fortnite is not a amazing game, but the company has put TONS of money into it from all the SKIN buyers and it is not a sH#$Y game at all, but yea... it is annoying, it is crazy how they get access to marvel, dc, Star wars, "LOL disney litterally had a emperor reveal event" that was apart of the actual release of canon to the crappy episode 9" they have everyone, master chief, God Of War, John wick , the Flash, tons more and now rick and morty , the game is basically a big commercial in a way, in a marketing strategy it's a shoe horned in brilliancy of marketing characters and IPs but you can almost hear the TOP Brass laughing at all the money they are making off all the people that spend 20 dollars on a skin pack, oh yea ghost busters....lora croft. the walking dead, LOL it goes on
  8. Aduzar Light Dedicated Player

If it looks like a BR I'd rather it looked like a certain Spellbreak than Fornite!
  9. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Exactly... it's a mess. No cohesive theme. It has everything in it. Waiting for the day they announce a Kitchen Sink skin.
  10. darth_paul Dedicated Player

Yeah, no thanks. I played Fortnite for about 3 days with my son, and it was kind of fun, it's pretty much just one note. Sure, DCUO is dated, but so are a lot of other games that people still play, and I like the graphics of DCUO, and the customization is light years ahead of anything that Fortnight could come up. Plus, unlike Fortnite, you don't have to buy all of your costumes from the MP in DCUO, and they're not just limited to mix and match parts of just three or four pieces.
    • Like x 1
  11. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

i don't like fortnite.

I think maybe a graphical update might be okay, I don't like the gameplay at all though.
    • Like x 1
  12. Apollonia Dedicated Player

There's a lot of really silly replies to this post. The OP is saying they want a graphics engine update. They aren't saying they want Fortnite's animated art style and they aren't saying they want DCUO to play like a MOBA or Battle Royale game. They just want DCUO to look like it isn't a ps3 game anymore.

It's objectively true that Fortnite's graphics are better, more polished and more modern looking than DCUO's. It's not an attack on DCUO or DCUO's dev team. It's a consequence of using Unreal4 vs the Unreal3 engine that was developed in the early 2000s.

A graphic engine update is critical for DCUO to continue long term to compete with modern games and attract new players. Also players will not continue to play this game how it looks now, for another 9 years. This is literally the most common feedback on this game that the devs are getting when you look at all points of feedback (forums, YouTube, Twitter). The next most common feedback is new powers etc. btw.

Yes it would take time to do the upgrade but it's required to keep the business running and that work would be done while the current build of the game is still being developed/updated anyhow, so no players here would notice that work getting done anyhow. And before anyone says the work would take away from what's coming out now; it would not. The Dev teams producing content for the current build of the game are not the same ones who'd be tasked to create a new build of the game with a new engine. Totally different departments. It's just not true and anyone suggesting that is misinformed.

When you argue against a graphics engine update on this game, you're arguing against improving the game and condemning it to shut down years sooner than it has to. Or if it doesn't literally shut down, it'll have so few players playing it may as well shut down. So if you enjoy playing this game and want to keep playing it; stop arguing against this. Or as a bare minimum; stop trolling the people/threads asking for it.

No update = no players = game shut down. Instead of 9 more years, you'll get another 2-4. It's just that simple.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  13. willflynne 10000 Post Club

And you know this how?

Unless we are actually working at Dimensional Ink, the best any of us can do is guess, even if we have some insight as to how the industry works. And even those with insight may well be wrong in their guesses.

I think you might be right about your assertions if we were under ideal conditions, but the events of the past year alone mean we are NOT under ideal conditions. Some places are just now starting to get back to pre-pandemic normals, and the new normal that's likely to take shape may produce a whole new set of challenges and obstacles that we can't see yet. Add in that (last I knew) Dimensional Ink/Daybreak was still looking to hire for positions and that pretty much guarantees that they probably aren't in an ideal situation.

From my own observations over the years, the bigger the project for the game, the more it becomes an "all hands on deck" situation. A bug bash update for SWG back in the day was asked for repeatedly, and the devs straight up told us that an undertaking like that would mean a slowdown or stoppage of new content updates for the game, and that's exactly what happened when they started the bug bash update.

I've seen nothing from the dev team here to suggest that an even bigger undertaking like a graphics engine update would be easier to handle and that it wouldn't take away from something that drives player engagement to a higher degree than shiny graphics: new content releases. That's not to say it couldn't be done as you outlined, but until or unless the devs say they can do so you're going to be very hard pressed to convince me that a graphics engine update wouldn't affect the live game in any way.
    • Like x 1
  14. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

To be fair its been around 5 years since we got anything new besides story
  15. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

im also very confused why people in here are thinking the op wants to turn dcuo into a battle royal. I dont even think the op was saying change the art style. I just don’t understand why anyone would be against upgrading to a new engine when we literally Havent gotta any innovation to the game since water .
  16. Nanak New Player

Ok some of us are showing our age by saying that we are satisfied with the looks of this game today. I was around to play Superman on the Atari and in retrospect yes these graphics are better. Honestly for new generations this game needs A major update. Heck If you take away all the new shiny accessories, mats, chromes etc the gameplay becomes kinda stale and repetitive. Heck there would be no such thing as little Bo If the gameplay and graphics were the things keeping this game alive. Introducing style items was one of the best things the Devs did. As far as Fortnite goes, Its more of A slap in the face that you can play as Superman running, shooting, talking trash and ultimately kneeling before Peely before getting headshot but in DCUO It so hard to get upgraded Superman emblems or even his most basic of styles.
    • Like x 1
  17. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

False.
    • Like x 1
  18. Apollonia Dedicated Player

Is there content other than TCs, story missions (open world or instanced content) and artifacts you have in mind or are you objecting to the 5 year timeframe?
  19. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Are artifacts considered "story"? And yes there is other content I have in mind.
  20. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

* any new animations im sorry. Artifacts are fx to my knowledge there isn’t a artifact that brings a new animation, instead they bring up purple shields or turn heat vision blue.

Gear & tc are included in story. Its been 5 years of nothing but story, on recycled maps with recycled adds.