If you want Marks from lower content, why not make alts?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by DCUO Addict, Apr 30, 2019.

1. DCUO Addict Committed Player

This is a genuine question. When I’m burnt out on current content, in the mood to play a different power, or have a new character concept, I make/play an alt. This isn’t a toon that needs OP items or max augments and artifacts, just a way to enjoy the game.

I get the frustration and arguments about the new game update, and I’m curious about what drives people away from making and playing alts for the lower tier content.
    • Like x 3
  2. Jade Rebel Dedicated Player

I used to but now I got 13-15 alts near endgame lol
    • Like x 3
  3. recoil2 Dedicated Player

because they need the marks on THIS characters or THAT that they primarily use. marks and some of the items bought with them are non transferable.
    • Like x 3
  4. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Not to nitpik but you do realize you can not just email an alt MARKS. Sure I have 30 alts and a bunch of them are still getting marks from older content but I can't just stick a bunch of marks as an attachment in an email and send them to my main (at CR 267). Also can buy armor with them on an ALT from a vendor and then just email or send that gear to another ALT using my shared bank. Now honestly my three high CR alt (267, 265, and 256) really don't need many MARKS these days.... and mostly the ones they get are used to by Catalyst boxes to increase my artifacts. SO the marks I get from Lower CR alts just stays with them.
    • Like x 1
  5. SkullGang Devoted Player

What use is getting marks on an alt when they need to be used on a main ? Players don't want to get marks for the sake of them, they want to use them.
    • Like x 1
  6. DCUO Addict Committed Player

Right, but many of the complaints are about tradable things like tradable vendor auras or having enough catalyst caches. Or about being burnt out on current content and having nothing to do after finishing dailies.
    • Like x 3
  7. SkullGang Devoted Player

You forget that value has actually been taken out of episodes due to CR relevancy. It doesn't need to exist when episodes have their own currency. At this point they shouldn't even offer episodes to be bought because at some point you stop getting marks from them. I bought AF3 when it came out but now its lost value because I can't earn marks from that content. Why no one has realised this is beyond me.
    • Like x 2
  8. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

Good question.

Being an inexperienced MMO player, I work to max out 1 player first. I actually passed my better half because she actually started playing an alt, before you could buy feats, and then had to go back and run content so she could then get her main caught up. Most of the feats at the time were very time consuming being a whole lot of feats being tied to styles which was tired to the wonderful RNG in the game.

The experience for me had it's effect.

Later, as I got better, I focused on creating a Controller capable of being as strong as all the other roles, which would've been fine until they started messing with the rock, paper, scissors of PvP, and basically handcuffed the troll role to where we would have to get lucky to beat any role.
    • Like x 3
  9. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You haven't lost the ability to play that content, earn feats or purchase rewards. What do you need Ancient Coins for? Old gear? Base items? That content dropped in 2016 so I doubt you're still grinding for the Minotaur's Visage or the OP collection pieces.
    • Like x 3
  10. DCUO Addict Committed Player

Again, genuine question, what do you do with Ancient Coins after finishing the vendor gear and collections? Mine are just collecting dust.
    • Like x 1
  11. DCUO Addict Committed Player

What do you need them for on your main? The only thing I can think of is old vendor styles, and I can farm those on alts and buy the feats. If I'm not watching carefully, my main characters cap out on MoVs every week.

I know it sounds like I'm arguing for GU 94. I'm not. I'm trying to understand other players' approach to the game. It's true that I don't have a strong reaction to GU 94, but I'm not dismissing concerns about the change.
    • Like x 1
  12. Brad Sisto Well-Known Player

Not everyone has activley played the entire time they have had accounts in the game. People take breaks from the game, drop sub for months/years, come to the game later than others and haven't done everything and anything under the moon as each Episode/DLC came out.

Having different currencies makes it so you can keep that one focused on a specific piece or pieces of content instead of having EVERYTHING from 31 down using Source Marks(former MoV) which have a highly limited source to be earned.

Source Marks are now used for Gear/Base Items/Collections for Eps 31 down, For Styles from 00 and 22 vendors, Constantine for Artifacts and Catalysts, Your Base Mods and Qwark conversion at 4 to 1 prices.
  13. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

My problem with 94 is always looking at it from the angle of someone who is at 160 or so today. Unable to get into AF3. Yeah, those of us who were around in 2016 will benefit from it, and will have little impact overall, but it's another change that basically drives everyone to end game content and spending replays if you are new/recent.

It goes live tomorrow...so we'll see how it pans out. At this point arguing pros/cons is pointless. It is what it is.

Reinheld
    • Like x 2
  14. SkullGang Devoted Player

Ok here's a situation I would be in if I returned to the game. My CR is above relevancy for AF3 so no Source Marks for me. I have not bought everything on the AF3 vendor. I don't want to pay for a membership. I want to play and complete the episode I paid for. Where do I get the source marks from ?
    • Like x 2
  15. DCUO Addict Committed Player

Good question. Episode content (on duty) and Death of Superman (until you're CR 263).
  16. Brad Sisto Well-Known Player

Oooo thats an angle I hadn't thought of someone who OWNs a piece of content AF3 to Deluge that isn't a Subscriber but is out of CR relivance but doesn't have the different rewards from that content obtained. People have this same problem if they own anything PRE AF3 right now before the new GU Launch.

There is only two piece of content that I know that will allow you to get MoV now and Source Marks later but only up to CR 253 and 262 respectively. Those pieces of content are the Open World and Instances of the Death of Superman/Doomsday Free DLC that everyone Level 10 to CR 262 gets free. The Second is running the EVENT Instances of the current Free Preview/Event Episode as the open world Missions REQUIRE you to have the Minimum CR of the Episode iteself while the Event Instances allow anyone from Level 10 to the minimum Episode CR to get Marks. The Nothing else will give you the currency you need unless you are a member and in CR relivance.
  17. DCUO Addict Committed Player

I'm not saying that the relevancy window is good. I totally understand why folks are relating this back to the game update, but that's not the point of my post. What you're saying speaks to my question. Why not farm marks on different alts at different levels, trade the tradable items (some styles and catalysts) and either buy the non-tradable items on your main with the SMs they get or buy the things for a feat on one of your alts and buy the feats (or styles) on your main with replay badges?

My question isn't, "why are you complaining when there's this great solution here?" My question is, "what are the barriers, obstacles and turnoffs to playing alts, especially for this purpose?"
  18. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You get source marks from everything. You get the majority from content you are in relevancy for same as MoV, you get a source mark as a loot option on content you're not in relevance for.

You can still play and complete the episode you paid for.
    • Like x 1
  19. myandria Item Storage

Hmm...

I have tested this theory out by creating a near end game character on the test server and here is what I found out:

You would have to get the Source Marks from the content you are CR relevant to, then go back to the AF3 vendors and buy the items you want. You can still play the AF3 content; however, you wont get Source Marks from it, just loot/base items/money. Since you haven't finish the AF3 content I can only assume that you may want to also play it to complete feats.
  20. Shark Dental Devoted Player

The core of the question is more about the effect of the change on queues for said content.

If OLY or GOM doesn't pop anymore, it doesn't matter if you're trying to run them on an alt or a main, does it?