If the Devs ever decided to.....

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Gimpy, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Gimpy Loyal Player

Make any content solely for the purpose of teaching new players how to play the game,,,,,

would any of You long term vets be willing to devote time to help those new players learn?

There are quite a few of us that have the time but how many are actually willing to "mentor/teach" new players so the community would gain a larger number of skilled players at end game?

Personally I would be willing to give an hour of my time 2-3 times a week to see an improvement in our community.

What would YOU be willing to do?
    • Like x 5
  2. Menelaos Dedicated Player

Been doing it for years, so yes I would.

Regards,
    M
    • Like x 1
  3. spack2k Steadfast Player

i would if i had more free time but atm i just don't have the time ... after doing my daily event grind on 6 chars + af3 content on 2 chars I am glad i can log out ... so no i simply don't have enough free time to invest in new players, maybe 1h on weekend.
    • Like x 2
  4. Gimpy Loyal Player

1 hour would help someone even if it was every other week or just once a month.
  5. Great Architect Loyal Player

Replace "new players" with "unskilled players", and I'd give my time.

Not all train wrecks are fresh off the Brainiac Ship, and not all new players come to the game with zero knowledge of MMOs ;).
    • Like x 3
  6. Belthazur Dedicated Player

I would support this.
  7. Dawn_Dove Level 30

I need minions !!!!!
  8. Gimpy Loyal Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  9. Dawn_Dove Level 30

They are so beautiful..... I'll take them <3 !!!!!!!!!
  10. Skull Collector Committed Player

If they had done it right in the first place, we wouldn't need vets to help them learn. If they were to implement it now and do it right, we still wouldn't need to help them learn. I hear what you're saying and appreciate your willingness to go the extra mile, but as someone who's been here since 2011, I simply no longer find much value in helping the larger majority of the player base now. Any good league should be teaching these things to it's new recruits, but good leagues are seemingly rare, and new players are suffering from high CR's blasting ahead through content giving new players no opportunity to learn at all.

The game needs more options available to help new players, other than the player base. We need things like options in alerts and raids where the group can vote to 'activate clamping' for higher CR's in there with them. We need tutorials that explain what PI's are and how they work, what each roles perks really are, etc etc. I used to help new players learn all the time, but with the state the game is in now and it's future's uncertainty (for many of us), I just don't see how making that effort is a pay off for me personally anymore. Too many people bail on this game to put the effort in anymore. That's my two cents, anyways.
    • Like x 2
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Given the number of times players have said, "It's not MY job to teach them" (not to mention the amount of vehemence exhibited by those players when expressing that viewpoint), you'll forgive me if I find myself somewhat skeptical about the number of players willing to teach.
    • Like x 1
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I can't subscribe to that train of thought because I don't think there's a tutorial that could or would cover it all, much less cover it to the extent that some would want to see.

Between unexpected or new variables introduced into the game (differences between power sets, new game systems, etc.) and the fact that some aspects of a tutorial will either be ignored or completely missed by some players (we all learn and absorb information differently), it's very difficult to imagine a tutorial that covers it all and for every player out there.

That's where the player base itself comes in. We're right there and we can answer questions a LOT quicker than the devs can. On top of that, it's something from my own experiences that can and will help build a more healthy (or at least less toxic) community within the game.

And yes, it's better when the person asking for help actually wants to learn or isn't just looking to leech off the efforts of others. But leaving it all to the game isn't going to work, especially with a live persistent game that can be subject to change.
    • Like x 1
  13. light FX Steadfast Player

If someone asked i would. But im done just offering advice to people. U can only be told "eff off i know how to play" so many times.

I also gotta say ive always found the vets must help and teach newer players view to be strange. Why? Because we are all customers. We are all paying to play to have fun, for entertainment. If u buy a 1 player game for xbox or ps how do ya learn and figure things out? Well today with yt and twitch and google its even easier to find some info. But before all of that ya had to figure stuff out on your own.

There is nothing wrong with helping someone or giving advice. But ive always felt the game itself should have a tutorial that teaches new players. You have reached level 10 and can now control might be the worst tutorial for teaching that role that i have ever seen in a video game. What else does it even tell ya about trolling? IIRC nothing.

Plus whenever i tried a new game in the past i would hit all the buttons and see what happens. Today so many people want their hand held through everything. Idk guess im too old school.

Like i said in above in my post^ Getting told to eff off or having things said about your family gets really old. Once its happened enough my view on this topic changed. I even realized a ways back that the way i was offering advice and how i sounded may be rude. So i changed it up. And im talking the last 1-2 years now ive gone about it differently. I make sure to sound super calm, talk slow and clear, and be nice and say things like "hey i know an easier way u can do this. Mind if i give ya some advice?" Some of the responses ive gotten i cannot repeat on here. When it happens enough it gets old like i said.
    • Like x 2
  14. Saint Nutella Loyal Player

Can't teach people who don't want to be taught.

I was doing Wastelands with a 140 earth DPS (I was 139) and I realized the dps was ridiculously slow. I knew it wasn't because of CR because I was able to beat adds quickly. I check scoreboard and I'm doing *10x* his damage.

I was so stupid to not notice he was using ROBOT SIDEKICK instead of crystal. I understand that AMs can be difficult for some to comprehend (some just don't bother to read) but they could at least watch a video. It's not normal to be at 140 CR and not know how to contribute to a team as a dps (that's what happens when you allow players who dont even understand "block" to advance to 100 CR with the click of a button.

Anyways I tried to help as NICELY as humanly possible and told him he could only do sufficient damage with crystal. He told me I was wrong and someone a CR lower shouldn't be teaching (mind you this was my ALT). I told him to check scoreboard and he called me a hacker. I ended up proving him wrong which resulted in him saying kys (for those who don't know that means kill yourself) and leaving.
  15. ozzy1111 Dedicated Player

so many times, people have tried...and tried...to teach people how it works. just to be told...fuccc8k off..no thanks. the way the game is now, there is little time to do anything but...GRIND!!!!! this game could have been. and could be...but, all we get is more $$$grab crap.
  16. Gimpy Loyal Player

Believe me when I say I understand why people are saying no, I have been through everything imaginable in the past 5 years.

I also understand the single fact that at some point in time each and every one of us who are a "vet" are teaching the "unskilled" players weather we actually want to or not once they impact end-game gameplay.

I actually appreciate that suggested change from new player to "unskilled" by Architect so let's just continue the conversation with it in place. Because that's what we have at end-game content and yes they are as toxic as it get's and quite a few of them are those doing the YT vids others are getting knowledge from.

Replace "new players" with "unskilled player" and let's leave any mention of stat clamping for those other threads.

The content should be enjoyable for the vet too you know.
  17. Darth Piper Loyal Player

Even as someone who's been playing for a while, I would still go in to learn from people who've been playing even longer. Sometimes, others might have a slightly better strategy that will help you improve your game as well. Can you look to a league to help? Sure... but then you get a very limited set of opinions. I wouldn't mind having live strategy sessions with people whose experience runs the gauntlet... those who've been there since the beginning and playing that role/power all the way to the new players attempting to learn their powers.

It never hurts to listen to someone else's experiences once in a while... because it will help your game play too. :)
    • Like x 1
  18. spack2k Steadfast Player

I also believe that truly unskilled end-game players are not worth the time also because u can show them loadouts and rotations and explain timing but u can't show them timings and this game is all about making the right decision at the right time.

Also new players can evolve to skilled or unskilled players, skilled players can adapt,adjust, improve etc no matter if new or after a longer break but unskilled players remain well u know ...
  19. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

helping other players out can be fun but as with everything in game its all in the timing. i run the t6 league hall content almost daily because i love showing off my league hall. its designed around the content to make those instances more fun. i always go with minimum force and make ure the other players have stuff to do. i always find the best way to teach gameplay is by example. do something that looks cool or fun and other players will pick up on it.

i think rather than creating an instance where one would learn their role we need more content that will bring healers, controller and tanks to the forefront. undead ads that only a healer can hurt or at least disable for the dps to burn immediately comes to mind (like in final fantasy games), bosses a controller can drain through using their power dumps, etc etc.
    • Like x 1
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

That's the thing, though, I'm not referring to folks like yourself who have actually offered assistance. I'm talking about players who flat out refuse to even try to help at all. Some of them will complain left and right about other players not knowing about the game but won't even lift a finger to help those people learn.

I can respect those who try and help and fully understand the frustration and discouragement they feel when they are basically told to take a long walk off a short pier for their efforts. But those who gripe and moan about other players and don't even attempt to help? That's another matter.
    • Like x 2