Idea: psychological effect of open world PvP.

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by bigbadron alt, Sep 17, 2014.

1. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

So I was flying around Metropolis today, and suddenly it popped up on the screen, "Heroes have won the Ring War PvP." and I was like, "So what?" Which set me thinking... what if there was a positive effect for your faction winning an open world PvP event?

Sure, you get access to a PvP vendor for a limited time. Which is okay, until you have all the stuff they have to sell. But what if you are playing a hero (or villain) and it came up on the screen that your faction had won the Ring War (or the Diamond Heist) PvP. Pride fills your character's chest, and floods his system with confidence... and for a short while he gets a bonus on his damage output? Just a couple of % or something. Or maybe his power bar fills up a little faster...

This bonus would last for a few minutes (or maybe until the start of the next open world PvP) and would affect all members of the appropriate faction who were in the right city during that time - if they leave town before the time's up they lose the bonus, and if they arrive in town part way through they get the bonus for the remaining time.

And the bonus should apply only when doing PvE content, because I can already see the complaints if one side got a 2% damage bonus in PvP. :rolleyes:

Thoughts?
    • Like x 3
  2. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Oh, yeah... sorry about the non-obscure thread title. :p
  3. ChuckLess New Player

Love it! It would be really swell to have a reason to be in PVP phase!

+1
  4. Minnion Devoted Player

Not so sure that I like it, the reason being: Faction imbalance. Heroes don't need the buff.
  5. chubbychase New Player

I don't think it would make that much difference than what occurs now...villains, when they do it, they do the open world events on the pvp phase, and heroes do it on the pve phase. They're up at the same time on each phase, so it would only mean that it may be done more often, but not to the effect of creating better pvp engagement between the factions. If the "reward" is significant enough and it is changed to first come first serve regardless of phase, there is also the problem of population: just on created accounts, there're about more than twice as many heroes as there are villains--the gap might be even larger if it accounts for active members. Finally, if one faction wins too often, lets say heroes, that will encourage people to create alts for said faction just to win said reward/bonus.

There needs to be a better incentive to do these cross-faction other than exclusive winner-faction benefits.

Not really...both phases get in a pvp state on the area of the event. Heroes who get countered by a lot of villains would still just run to the pve phase to do them, where a villain would get overrun by heroes and do the same (switch to pvp phase). This is precisely the case for Ring War, where if you have enough of one faction doing the event, it doesn't matter how many of the opposing faction are "destroying enemy target," people will still win merely based on the quantity of players attending the event -- even if said players are below 30 or tier 0. If one cannot find a reason to go to the PvP phase right now, what the OP suggested won't really change that.
    • Like x 1
  6. The Lone Stranger Devoted Player

Last time I ran diamond heist
    There were three or four heroes for every villain

You want more?
    • Like x 2
  7. Skirmish Well-Known Player

I think Ring War and Diamond Hiest need a serious revamp to the rewards they give, 1 Mark of Valor isn't worth it and once people get the 100 for their feat they never do them again, ever.

Given how quickly people can gain Marks of Valor doing various PvP maps, I'd like to see there be a Ring War/Diamond Heist Reward Box that offers alot of Valor Marks plus a chance for some nice base items or an exceptional recovery kit. It would make Ring War/Diamond Heist not only worth doing again, but alot more interesting as there would be people on both sides there to participate in it.
    • Like x 1
  8. Minnion Devoted Player

Personally I think a better idea would be new open world PvE content. This new PvE content would:
    • Be exclusive to PvP phase.(It's purpose is to get players moving around in PvP phase and to give players something to do while waiting for PvP to happen in the open world.)
    • Reward PvP Marks. 1.It would help players gear up a bit faster, 2.Provide an incentive to do open world activities in PvP phase.

Another change I'd like to see made to PvP... CR based random loot drops for KOing other players in all PvP.(It's about as random as getting loot drops from trash mobs, with the loot table being based on the CR bracket of who you just knocked out. T1 players might drop T1 PvP gear, T2 players might drop T2 PvP gear when knocked out... Well you see where this is going right?)

And lastly I was thinking maybe add an opposition multiplier for Toughness when running around in open world PvP phase.(Basically your toughness is multiplied by the number of players that are attacking you at one time.)
  9. chubbychase New Player

Some of us would be happy to just see Influence back in the game, which was the currency for doing exactly that. With it, you could buy sodas and some other goods from a vendor.

Hopefully, if they do that (or whatever they do to it), the mission will be available to complete multiple times a day instead of just once. I recall showing up to both events just because we (people I played with) would know that there would be folks trying to complete the mission whenever it happened, since it was repeatable. Right now, you may see a number of people or you may see a ghost land not worth attending to, since those that do care or need the feat/gear can't grind it and those who just want to fight at the event aren't really hopeful that anyone will be there.
  10. Minnion Devoted Player

I've never seen that currency... Then again I only started playing about a year ago...
  11. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

The faction imbalance is a good reason not to buff the imbalance to make it worse.

However, it would be nic if it could have an effect on the looks of a city (there is a positive and bright version as well as a negative and dark version of gotham and Metropolis in the Origin Crisis DLC):

• heroes have the upper hand: many peaceful civilians on the street, positive mood, many contsruction sites that started the rebuilding process in the city
    • villains have the upper hand: burning buldings, broken windows and shops, fleeing civilians
  12. chubbychase New Player

This is when they went away as obtainable currency, and you can probably still see the "influence" stat under your "cash" stat on your character tab (didn't notice them removing it):
    https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/psa-spend-your-influence-now.149673/

Before that announcement and early in the game, the currency was mainly used to buy initial pvp gear and styles, but I hated farming with passion and used influence to buy soders for self use and also for spare change (farming people was more entertaining even though the ROI was low). There was a lapse in me playing the game, but apparently at some point you could buy other minor things (I'll let someone else enlighten you on that bit). RNG boxes (base items? cheap consumables? single bits or bytes? something not extremely valuable?) and pvp consumables would be a great application for influence marks, though. And I wouldn't complain if they brought back the ability to buy soder colas with it either.

generic info: http://dcuniverseonline.wikia.com/wiki/Influence
  13. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

That's a good idea too.

I think a lot of people (including the moderator who moved my original posts here) are misunderstanding my idea.

I had no intention for it to provide any sort of buff or popularity boost to PvP (didn't realise there was a problem with getting PvP players). The idea was simply to make the announcement, "Heroes/Villains have won the Ring War/Diamond Heist." actually mean something to more players. After all, it must be important, because the game announces it to the whole city, so why not make it feel a bit more important?

It would not, in any way affect PvP matches, but would simply be a game mechanic simulating the morale boost of "your team" winning one of those PvP events.

Sort of, "Hey! We won the Ring War! I feel good! Let's go take down Arkillo!"
  14. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

You mention a bounty - these should affect it too...

Lets say there was a score, which updates weekly. PvP events and bounties in the city should have an effect on a score, which ultimatly makes the city a positive, neutral or negative mood.
    • Like x 1