Idea for material skins.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Kanmaru, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

I was wondering if instead of materials covering the entire piece of gear you applied it to, why not have material's the ability to be used in our 'Color Palette" section? You know how each gear piece has 3 adjustable color palettes but 4 main palettes right? Well in those very palettes why not let us mix material skins or normal coloring with one another on one piece of gear? I think material gear coating an entire piece of gear can be too overpowering and make it look a bit too much. I wish I could change the tip of my gloves to a material but have the bracers a metallic gold look. Or the trims in a set can be the material skins but the rest will be normal colors or other mixed materials from the combined palettes.

What do you guys think?
    • Like x 1
  2. StealthBlue Loyal Player

This has been asked for in the past, and infact was originally intended, but they ran into some tech limitations so we are only currently able to apply material to entire pieces. I believe this was answered in the dev discussion thread about ideas for materials, but I don't remember which page. What I'm not sure about though is if that limitation was due to the game engine or due to the PS3. If it was due to the PS3, we may be able to do this at some point in the future since the PS3 is being dropped at the end of January.
  3. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

Ahhh, I see. That makes sense. Hopefully this will be re-addressed next month or soon.
  4. Megzilla Developer

From what I understand, it is not possible with our tech and how we set up our channels. It is not a PS3 limitation.
    • Like x 2
  5. Kanmaru Dedicated Player

Oh darn. That would have increased customization to unbelievable heights. What would make it possible in the future?
  6. Megzilla Developer

A time machine

(Our engine/tools don't support the tech requirement to do it. But I am not a tech person so I am unable to extrapolate other than I've asked and have been told it's not possible with what we have.)
    • Like x 3
  7. StealthBlue Loyal Player

Thanks for the clarification. I figured it was probably a deeper issue than the PS3, but you never know from the outside. I hadn't thought to ask about this again, i have several league mates that want this, so I'm glad it came up.
  8. Icon Active Player

Seems like there's quite a few things not possible, how unfortunate. The fact that some older games had this capacity and beyond makes one wonder if it is truly an engine/tool issue or some other factors involved. I hope for the future of this game this will be something that can be addressed and not simply brushed to the side.
  9. Kzinti Committed Player

Can we use the Nexus of reality :p
    • Like x 1
  10. The Anxient Loyal Player

Any idea if we will ever be able to apply material to emblems or skin?
  11. 1 ncmike Dedicated Player

It is possible to make styles that use some of the materials in them just like the Astral Alloy it has the cosmic material in it so maybebin the future we could see something like that on the vendor or marketplace.
  12. Megzilla Developer

I think it would require rebuilding a foundational system which is not feasible.

It's on my list of things to ask about.
    • Like x 6
  13. majosea Dedicated Player

what about this for a material or a skin its the Energized Shield from fos 3 already in game .

i[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  14. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

It was not due to the PS3, just how their system was built.
    • Like x 1
  15. Bodziony Active Player

I understand the limitations of assigning a material to individual slots, but is there anyway for the material to not affect the eyes? Like the slimline masks, Dark Knight, etc?

As for a new material, would a simple flat material that you can color be possible? This would help styles that previously didn’t match be able to look more aesthetically pleasing.
  16. Sugr Bear Committed Player

Actually, astral alloy looks a million times better than cosmic. It has multiple colors in it and more going on, I wish THAT had been the material.
    • Like x 2
  17. Dazz-252 Committed Player

When I first ever got a material that is how I thought they would function but that was just my desire of expectations but with DCUO you always have to have low expectations for "quality" content. Money schemes and rehash are their main priority. Costumer satisfaction last.
  18. stärnbock Devoted Player

ps3...?
  19. Icon Active Player

20. KHALONofOGUN 10000 Post Club

It's about the way the game was originally designed. Those games that you mention that can do that had every intention of doing things of that nature, so they were designed that way from day one. Materials was not something the Devs were thinking about over 8 years ago...so they're stuck with certain tech limitations. The amount of resources necessary to rebuild this game to allow for that and other things, well...that would be building a brand new game with no new content for well over a year. Long story short, not happening. That's not to say that they may not get new tricks up their sleeves in the near future.
    • Like x 1