Iconic and Movement Trees Love

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BumblingB, Sep 28, 2021.

1. BumblingB I got better.

Iconic Tree has received a little love in the way of artifacts for Lasso and Heat Vision or the utility of them like Sonic Cry, Frost Breath, Amazon Deflection, Hard Light Shield, and Neo Venom Boost, of course not forgetting Robot Sidekick for free damage. (To a lesser, the 25% SC ones for EOG spam, but that's for another thread.) But there are a few that just completely get ignored, because they aren't meta or real serve no purpose and would make a great addition to the game to be looked at. Also, it would be great if this was expanded on. You can start looking at the Legends characters tray powers to add to the game. Would be enjoyable to have like Hal's Strafing Run or Lex's mini bunker buster. What about Kilowag or Arkillo's mini jackhammer?

As for movement modes... They are not as good as the other counterparts... I know the concept of balance vs standardizing is frowned on, but there are definitely movement modes that make for a better selection of utility than others. To the extent, I'd almost say that it wouldn't be bad to make them part of a generic tree open to all. Like, why can't a flight use black flip or a superspeed use low pressure? This would make more sense.

Also, why do we need to purchase these with skill points still? *points to signature link*
    • Like x 5
  2. Proxystar #Perception

Yeah I'd like to see them all revamped so they're all useful and viable, they should be all equally viable to the extent that they're practical to put in a legitimate loadout/rotation, otherwise, what are they really there for other than for cheap thrills in content that isn't serious.

Also I agree, it probably wouldn't hurt to just have them available in similar fashion to power points at this stage.
    • Like x 3
  3. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

I'd be okay with a little updating just to close the (bluntly overwhelming) gap between Whirling Dervish's damage output and speed of function, and Everything Else, but that's mostly because I'm tired of hearing people blaming Precision output disparity on weapons combos themselves, since those are usually not the most egregious culprit for the imbalance in question.

Plus it would be nice to see some of the Flight Damage Abilities be, you know, useful.

As for "All Movement Modes can use Any Movement Ability" - within reason?

Like, as a Flight character, Galea could, in theory, do *some* of the Super Speed or Acrobatic Movement mode stuff, and vice versa, but certain "Physical Ability Question" things (like the fact that she can hover in midair and kill things) should remain solely accessible to the chose Movement Mode, and certain others (Inertial Flywheel comes to mind) would, as a result of the mechanics of the movement themselves, remain similarly inaccessible to anyone outside of that movement mode.

I don't have anything to gain from the immediate accessibility question as it regards Movement Mode Abilities (I have enough SP not to have to pick) but it does make a certain sense that the accessibility to the functionality itself seems like it would be an innate part of the Movement Mode in question so sure?
    • Like x 2
  4. Canadian Justice Committed Player

Not just Iconics and Movement Trees, everything needs a balance pass. All powers, weapons, everything. I'm fine with niche abilities. What's not fine is abilities that serve little to no purpose. Or duplicate abilities where one is vastly superior to the other.
    • Like x 1
  5. Magnificent Loyal Player

Agreed. While they are at it I wouldn't mind seeing a refresh of gear mods so that every role in every powerset had something they could put on each piece of gear which is actually relavent.

For instance, as a Fire Tank with Flight there is no leg mod you're going to use. None. Your options are limited to only if you are using Fireball, Flashpoint or Overheat. While Fireball is the big taunt, a maxxed Lasso is much better for pulls (if your target is a boss it single-targets that and taunts it, if your target is a trash mob it grabs the whole group and drags them to you). Flashpoint could be used as part of a juggle rotation but bosses generally aren't knockdown-able and the heal return is too small to be worthwhile. And then no Fire Tank should ever be loading Overheat. Ever.

On another point I'm going to use the mention of accessing the Legends HL power graphics to once again push my idea of their hiring extra FX people to make power skins to sell on the Store. HL is the easiest as you can make themes for pretty much any occasion (construction theme, Halloween, cartoon, etc making sure it makes sense for that power) and then allow mixing and matching (so the Construction skin for Mini Gun might be a Nail Gun and you could have that an Anchor graphic from a Nautical theme which would replace the Light Weight graphic).
  6. Eve YouTuber

This. I feel like I could put these skill points to better use if I didn't have to put them in movement abilities or Iconic abilities.
    • Like x 2
  7. Proxystar #Perception

Yeah I still think all they need to do is go in to the other movement trees and make alternatives equally viable to dervish, the only trouble with that, is that people complain about dervish but then when you suggest making equal alternatives, complain you just want to make everything clone cookie cutters, so shrug :D
  8. BumblingB I got better.

That is why I mentioned the unpopular beliefs on copies.

I think rocket assisted flight and dive bomb and inertial flywheel would be excluded as I can't imagine they would work well development wise. But back flip, whirling dervish, low pressure, etc are just powers with animations. Heck, skimming already has a skin of flight.

So I agree with kimone about within reason, as movement specific powers should stay specific, but the attacking ones can bleed over. (Kind of like the white foot mod.)
    • Like x 1
  9. Proxystar #Perception

Oh I agree, with a bit of damage balance to some you could easily neutralize the issue with dervish, without even touching dervish really.
    • Like x 1
  10. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

I've been wanting this for a while. Movement abilities and Iconic abilities can really spice things up for characters.
    • Like x 2
  11. Mentaldope40 Dedicated Player

Bumpity bump
    • Like x 1