Ice Dps PvE Guide

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by Note Worthy, Jul 4, 2013.

1. N4TURALKILLER New Player

You'd know something about being an average joe dps huh, I mean the video you posted on the first post showed you 2nd in dps with the 3rd dps trailing you by 21,000. The ice update did nothing for bolder. Its still the same power that misses enemies, gets blocked by teammates, and gets dropped when you get hit. Ice boulder is garbage period. Been there done that. I have refrained from commenting in this thread for some time hoping that it would die out because there is so much bad information in here. Btw the whole "preserving power" and keeping "your dps to power ratio good" is garbage because bolder is a waste of power anytime it misses, gets broken, or gets dropped (which is very common). Also that same damage that boulder is sometimes causing when it's not being blocked, dropped, or missing could be cause ALL the time with dual wields charged attack and many other weapons charged ranged attacks. These attacks don't miss, consume any power, require you to reposition yourself, and don't take up a load out slot. Anyone looking for good ice discussions check out Radium's Ice Guide because a lot of the advice Note Worthy is trying to give is just bad.
  2. Note Worthy New Player

I can tell by the language used that you really just want to argue instead of learning. I said an average joe dps if you used RG which im pretty someone like you who doesn't know about power interactions would use. I was second behind a light dps running a rifle at the time grapsing hands dot was stackable, and at the time that quantums time bomb was giving fake damage, even if the quantum wasn't using time bomb it is easily one of the best powers in t5 raids Boulders damage is what changed not the details of the power, and btw the cc effects of getting knoced down can easily be avoided by speccing into a little dom or avoiding possible cc. In the video shown in the first post the boulder would rarely be blocked so the only way your thesis would be correct is if someone like you who is inexperienced and arrogant is behind the control of the boulder. Btw dw's charge attack splits once more than 1 target is established so if you using that in raids or dps in general just letting you know thats not the brightest idea. And most charges like boulder if you're in the animation of preparing the charge can also be knocked out so if boulders cc is an issue talk about the charge bb issue as well. Radium's guide is good for teaching you power interactions, and btw i've seen your forum posts back when you were a new member. Ik for a fact you're new here and that you don't know much about powers in general. I've been playing since beta ik every power, and weapon like the back of my hand. If I'm saying something its to help you. I don't know why you decided to go to a peaceful posts which if you read many other viewers comments agree that it is a great posts and you ofc the new guy to forums is the only one to disagree and ofc agree with a guide that doesn't even give you modern day loadouts, but would only tell you power interactions and try to compare both of them.
  3. N4TURALKILLER New Player

So much lol in this idk where to begin. So i'm the new guy huh? You joined 3 months before me bro so stop posing lol. How do you "know for a fact" that I don't know much about the powers in general? B/c I disagree with you about boulder? That's comedy. Also yeah DW splits damage after 1 enemy but still does around 1000-1800 per enemy for me non crit with ice bash up and a %50 modifier. I just want readers to know there are a lot more options to do the same or better damage as your almighty boulder and these can't be blocked or miss. Also what's this in your last sentence about Radiums guide not being modern day? o_O You jelly?

PS If your DPS was so low b/c of the HL and Quantum power exploits then prove it. Post another video of a FULL nexus run with you using boulder against 2 full T5 dps and post the results. Of course you'll put the gear inspection on video so we can be sure they're full T5.
  4. Note Worthy New Player

you dont get the fact that i said in certain raids like pw in previous posts i said that you may replace it with snowball. Radiums guide is very old, i said it wasn't modern because of the updates down to fire and ice and many power interactions that aren't including.
  5. Burncrow New Player

Any suggestions for ice dps with melee weapon skill or no?
    • Like x 1
  6. Note Worthy New Player

ice bash, bitter, snowball, finisher, tempest, sc/venom/move of your choice
    • Like x 1
  7. CmRoddy New Player

This is not impressive at all.

First of all, almost all the damage you did in the Nexus portion of the video was yellow damage. If you are talking about "managing your power" then why are you constantly draining the Controllers of power? I guarantee that your Power In stat was higher than almost everyone in that raid. As an Ice dps I always have less power in than the other dps and I still keep up or exceed in damage out. Why would you ignore your precision damage? Ice has alway leaned towards precision. Personally I have precision/might expert in my reds, precision/power in my yellows, and precision/health in my blues. 1348 precision and 2888 might. A good ratio that I believe allows ice to excell many people's expectation.

Why do you even have ice bash in your loadout if all your damage is might based anyway? That's a waste of a power slot considering how little you use your weapon. Just be consistent with your spamming of powers and get rid of ice bash. And don't tell me that you are using it so you can get chill effects. You can use less power using Cold Snap to stack chill effects. Ice bash only increases the crit chance/damage of weapon attacks.

I know you are going to respond to this negatively. You are probably going to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about or that I'm a second rate player because I think your loadout is bad (pretty terrible, to be honest). But if you can't handle the criticism from others then why would you even post this? Why take the time to show players how to best drain your controllers of power and keep their recharge from hitting the healers? As you know, a controllers recharge only hits four people in the group with the lowest power. If you are always low you are always taking power form the controller instead of that much needed power going to the healer.

Edit: and I just noticed how you dislike reflection in dps stance. That's just asinine. It's saved my life more times than I can remember in Nexus/Wave. Why? Because I save it so that I can clip out of a cast time or weapon animation so I can avoid getting hit. As natural killer said, it's far from worthless.
    • Like x 1
  8. Note Worthy New Player

I switch powers often so im not even might based you may not have even noticed the whole part of the video where i emphasized teh bow clip with boulder but ofc its important.

increasing crit chance and damage is worth the space. you can look at almost any dps loadout and they have some type of buff in their loadout ie wired, carnage, warped reality, the fact that it builds chill effects are a bonus.

I haven't responded negatively towards anyone. If you look at my posts i've stated in the beginning I don't wanna anyone down but these are my valid points that contradict yours. btw I more than manage to maintain a good amount of power in as this isn't my loadout for everything.

If your close to death in any raid and need reflection to save you, you shouldn't have been standing where you were, or you were out of the healers range. easily can stay close to other dps or out of the boss' range to prevent this without the need of the power. not to mention the cd for it is extremely long and if you were looking to get to ice form the fastest you could've just used cold snap, which has a much smaller cd and if close enough can apply a dot.
    • Like x 1
  9. CmRoddy New Player

Yes, you had that part in your video explaining the loadout but in the practical application of the loadout you barely ever used it. All we saw was yellow numbers. So you're wrong here.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to have; quite the opposite actually. I'm saying that you having it in your loadout is a waste. Why? Because you don't do any weapon damage! I realize that it can clip with WT and has a fast cooldown but the only positive you are getting from it is chill effects. You could just use Cold Snap which uses less power, the same cooldown, and would just give you the chill effect stack.

Irrelevant. I was talking about your loadout in this video, not your loadout in other instances.

Do you actually think about what you say before you type it? Did you even bother reading and comprehending what I was trying to say?

First of all, reflection itself isn't made to save my life; the clipping that it allows saves my life. Don't give me this "you shouldn't have been standing where you were" argument. That's asinine. Everyone here knows that some hits can't be avoided and sometimes the boss will turn around and randomly hit areas of the map. Doesn't matter where you stand.

Second, why are you telling me about Cold Snap as if I didn't know about it? Read my original post, man. I talked about it as an option to stack Chill Effects.

This just shows me that you really don't take time to understand what other people are saying before responding to them.
    • Like x 1
  10. supah koopa Well-Known Player

cmrodney are you ps3us?
  11. Note Worthy New Player

1. the amount of yellow numbers in multiple target loadout is obviously gonna be higher than the amount of white numbers, as it is a might based loadout. If the boulder and bow clip wasn't important i wouldn't have pointed it out at all. the boulder and bow clip when compared to a hb user using this loadout would make the hb users cycle in the multiple target loadout 2 secs faster, and in single target 4 secs its not as important with dps as it with making a faster cycle will putting in the damage because eventually the bow user would overlap the hb user in speed because of how fast the boulder clip is compared to hbs. If you're gonna be using exaggerations such as we only saw yellow numbers why would it even matter.

2. Ice bash crit effect is not only for weapon but it also applies for other moves in general. Sure it has a weapon buff but it will also he,but once used it will give you critical ability damage(10%) along with the little tick it does every few hits. cold snap would really only be useful in a melee scenario otherwise it really would pale in comparison to ice bash.

3. I understand perfectly fine what you're trying to say, but i'm also saying that there really shouldn't be an issue with dying in t5 content at all unless you don't know what you're doing. And by your own argument of the randomness of bosses aoe capabilities do you really think that with reflections long cooldown and short duration because of the fact it runs on dominance and most dps have below 200 dom that it would really be able to be popped atm of time where the bosses uses said move, or that atm of time it would hold up because of the users low dom.

I'm not making posts just to argue against you like i said in previous im saying that there are certain flaws in what you are saying like ice bash. use the move go into power interactions and click on ice bash and tell me if I'm lying. I do research for all the powers in game its not like i would just use simply because in the power tree it says chill effects which seem to be so important, which btw you could just use frost wave and enduring damage mod and get the 60% damage increase for 20 secs in which you would have the time to throw about 5-6 boulders clipped with snipe if using a loadout correctly. 60% which can be attained in a measly 4 secs for the hard cast of frostwave compared to all the cooldowns of ice bash, reflection, cold snap can't match the speed bonus or loadout space of just running enduring damage and frost wave.
    • Like x 1
  12. CmRoddy New Player

Exaggerations? Go back and watch your own video again and pay attention, please. The only reason I mentioned the yellow numbers is because you were harping on "managing your power." Well when a DPS needs to do nothing but spam his powers then that DPS is not managing their power very well. I never said it wasn't important to your loadout, I never said you didn't do it at all. I said you were just spamming powers and ignoring the amazing precision damage that ice can do.

The little tick Ice Bash gives is hardly relevant to anyone's damage is it only hits twice per cycle and the hits range from 200-300. Hardly a huge damage booster.

I'm going to say it one more time so you can get it because obviously you don't.

Reflection. Is. Not. Used. To. Absorb. Damage.

It's used to clip long weapon and power animations in order to get out of a one shot field and to build chill effects. That's it. Stop trying to say that I'm arguing that it's used as an actual shield to take damage because I'm not. And for the record, shield absorption isn't just based on Dominance, it's based on Dominance and Restoration.

I run Frost Snipe, Ice Bash, Frost Blast (60% buff), Wintery Tempest, Reflection/Cold Snap, Impaling Ice. It's a pretty fast rotating loadout where I can do a ton of weapon damage as well as pretty good might damage. I rarely drain the controller of power and I'm never last place.

Your loadout is depentent on playing on the PC, not PS3. That's one thing you don't seem to get. People have been saying that in this thread since the beginning and you are still trying to argue. Your loadout is not consistent on the PS3, mine is and since the vast majority of players are on the PS3 then the majority of your audience is receiving irrelevant information.
    • Like x 3
  13. CmRoddy New Player

Yes
  14. TrueOlympus New Player

This loadout is useless on the PS3. Not trying to be mean or spiteful. Its just not feasible on the ps3
  15. Rygasonaryan Active Player

As far as using Ice Bash or Cold Snap, I traded cold snap once thinking I could get better time with cold snap, then I realized, Cold Snap cannot clip anything, so Ice Bash is still in my loadout. So Note, if you are using it for the clip I understand. I actually don't use Reflect either, I was using it for the clip, but traded it out for Res Gale.
  16. Rygasonaryan Active Player

Checked out the Video, I wish Boulder could work like that on PS3, I would definitely use it. Also, I do see why you use Ice Bash now cause I see the Prec Damage you are using. It only looks like a lot of Might Damage because of FB and the Boulder throwing multiple yellow numbers up off of two used powers. I tried the boulder on PS3, and when I throw, it acts as if it is stuck on my hand, and I have to keep hitting the throw button until it is gone. So I scrapped it. I was trying to see if I could implement Avalanche into my loadout once also for another dot, (first hit makes the dot) but I put that to the side for another day.
  17. CmRoddy New Player

OK, I actually took the time to get this information

I rewatched the Nexus fight and saw something very interesting. You cast Boulder 31 times total (give or take one or two casts).

You hit your target 17 times.

You completely missed your target 14 times.

Talk about a waste of power? Yes, I think so. Your boulder got blocked by teammates, Atlantean Seamen Trinkets, Watchers, bad positioning, interruptions, bad/early clipping. Even on the PC with it's smooth throw animations you can't reliably use this useless move.

Dude, you were behind the first place DPS by 103k and only ahead of the second place by 21k. As I said in my very first post, this loadout isn't impressive at all and now I'm not even impressed with it's use on the PC despite the better performing platform. A 17/14 hit and miss ratio is just not good at all. It's pretty terrible actually and I hope people realize that before they start using this in raids.
    • Like x 3
  18. Soulburn32 Loyal Player

Thats pretty much what everyone told him from the start that the risk of doing no damage was to high to make up for the high damage when it does hit.
    • Like x 2
  19. TrueOlympus New Player

Sir... You win this thread
    • Like x 1
  20. Note Worthy New Player

You can't completely base the ratio of hitting and not hitting on 1 raids I've done multiple raids where the group is spread out and tank isn't in cone area where boulder would it. I would really like to know what loadout you would use in a raid compared to what I use since you say it is a "terrible" loadout. What would be a good loadout consisting of reflection because i would love to see it.
    Threads are made to benefit the public. The fact that you are saying "you've won this thread" shows immaturity.