I wish there was more current coverage of DCUO

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Twilight Avenged, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Twilight Avenged Dedicated Player

I keep up with many gaming outlets online and in magazines. I next to never see anything on DC Universe Online. If not for myself and hundreds of other YouTubers and Twitch'ers there wouldn't be much coverage of this game online anywhere.

I rarely even see this game pop up on the hordes of top 10 lists out there, no matter what the topic.

I just like the game a lot and it makes me want other people to like it.

I want it to get the attention it deserves on a professional media coverage level.

and...

I just...

[IMG]

(and no, talking about the recent closing down of the PS3 servers doesn't really count)
    • Like x 3
  2. Harlequin Devoted Player

As of this instant, there are 11 streams up on Twitch with a grand total of 35 viewers. Most of them are watching Trex. Do the rest of the hundreds have hot dates or something?
    • Like x 4
  3. Twilight Avenged Dedicated Player

..........yes, they have hot dates right now.

*side eye*
  4. Harlequin Devoted Player

I'd have to make a drinking game out of watching a DCUO stream. Every time a time capsule dropped, you'd have to do a shot.
    • Like x 2
  5. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

It's a 7 year old game built for a console that very few companies support any more, using an engine which has a vastly superior successor being used to develop more modern games. There's nothing really much left to say to the mainstream audience about DCUO, other than when new DLCs come out, which up until Earth 3, only really appealed to existing end-game players anyway as you needed a monetised account with a high level character just to see the new stuff.

There's no casual appeal, like Overwatch, PUBG or Fornite or whatever flavour of the month is and there's also no competitive/PVP scene, either, which is a trend amongst the titles mentioned above. There's also SO.MANY.PAYWALLS in DCUO, 30 around content alone, that it becomes a hard sell when so many other games are giving you everything pretty much for free. I guess there is the option to pay up to $180 per year to play this game via a subscription, though...

You can't really expect (video game) mainstream media coverage when there's just nothing going on that makes DCUO stand out, these days.

I'd just run around the Hall of Doom for 2 hours then sign off. No shots for you :-} #TeetotalToriTV
    • Like x 9
  6. Twilight Avenged Dedicated Player

I know! trust me I know.....I just want it anyway and the mythical waves of quality new players it might bring.
    • Like x 2
  7. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

$120 is yearly, and they just had a $80 sale for the 2nd Black Friday in a row. Possibly still too much for what we get, but don't give them any ideas about raising the rate.

Agree on the rest of it though, except for the most part I find watching the rest of those games on YouTube videos just as boring. Twitch is a bit better but watching someone play a video game is not the same as playing a video game....no matter what game it is. Unfortunately the most interesting DCUO videos I can think of are the loadout videos or base tours, neither of which would mean anything to someone who does not play the game, nor would they entice new players. Maybe if we had slu__er skins for the toons...?

I doubt this game will get more coverage anytime soon unless a major graphic revamp is in store for us now that PS3 is no longer 'holding us back'.

Reinheld
    • Like x 1
  8. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Not surprised if most of them were watching Trex.
    It is always fun to watch Trex play the game. :)

I get 15... 20.... 30?? people watching my stream on Youtube..... but usually by the end of the stream it will be like 100+ people who watched the stream..... but some only watch part of it.... which is why sometimes even if it only shows 20 people watching..... by the end of the stream it will show 100+ people who watched.

And some will watch it after the stream which will raise the numbers higher to 200+ or 300+ depending on the video.

So the rest of the hundreds do watch.... they watch the rerun once they are back from their hot date. ;) ;)
  9. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Yeah, my bad, I meant to say "up to $180". I'll go back and change it.

The $120 per year price is better, but you don't get that price unless you put down the full $120 in advance. Making it an expensive investment and very unlikely to appeal to the brand new player who is still unsure about whether or not they want to invest in the game.
  10. Harlequin Devoted Player

I used to like you. Meanie.
    • Like x 1
  11. MrMigraine Devoted Player

I feel you, man. :)
    • Like x 1
  12. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

While i agree with some, not all, of what you wrote i will say this. I have seen a tremendous increase in ADs im getting on Facebook and youtube. Whether that has to do with certain pages i liked or not, its still way more i ever saw before.
  13. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

Could you elaborate on this?
    • Like x 1
  14. Proxystar #Perception

Facebook serves ads based on your likes, page visits, cookie tracking and the like, much like google.
  15. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

Put a battle royal mode in DCUO and watch the number of streamers and onlookers explode.
    • Like x 1
  16. DC Urban Committed Player

The rest of the hundred do not exist.

ppl stream games like Fortnite, WoW, Pokemon etc, games that can make your channel grow. If someone wanted their channel to grow, would it behoove them to stream an unpopular game? Those fortnite bruthas have over 1k ppl watching them most of the time.

Maybe they do not get coverage, because the situation is less than ideal. I am sure they would tout about their subs or population if it were booming.

"The game has been incredibly popular on the Sony consoles and back in the summer of 2014 it was the number one revenue generating free-to-play game on the PS3 and PS4"

https://gamerant.com/dc-universe-online-xbox-one-release/

DCU was somewhat popular for a short -time. It ruled the PS3. Not that PS4 or PS3 were booming with F2P mmo in 2014...but if you are the slowest person to win a race, why not brag about it eh? Doubt that number holds true today, with other f2p games on PS4. TERA and BDO are also coming to PS4/Xbox One. Those Steam numbers gonna drop fast yo:D

DCU is in a bad spot. That article even mentioned how it was never a popular mmo. DCU mmo IP needs a reboot, unless they are making large gains, but i doubt they are because we would surely hear about it. Too much competition out there, even in the small superhero field.
    • Like x 2
  17. Vagrant Committed Player

I try to stream and do youtube videos about the game as much as possible. I just wish there was more conversation from the devs back in the day. Believe it or not Mepps and Spytle would talk to Trex and SuperPatriot a lot on their podcast. You don't really see that much anymore.

Any help from the devs to help us spread the word about the game would be great to see one day.
    • Like x 3
  18. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

its a nice sentiment. as harsh as i've been on the game since the revamp i really do love it. i don't think it's ever lived up to its potential. not even close. seeing things the way they are is heart wrenching. the game is already dead. i was hoping he whos name rhymes with smack would have been the solution. what we've have now is a small playground of game devs trying to build up their portfolios with pretty pictures trying to latch onto the next big thing.

its weird. by rights dcuo should be one of the most sought after games out there. its playing in the dc universe. it has the justice league, the titans and the justice society. its home to hit cartoons, tv shows and movies.

why isn't this game a bigger deal?.

one way this game could get some kind of media advertising is if it were to be packaged with all other dc themed games out there as part of one large media push. a commercial that features a smattering of all of dcs games through the decades. manufacturers do this all the time (my product is going in this magazine. pay me this amount and i'll advertise your store along with it) but something of this scope would be big and would require a few legal and advertising wizards.

another would be to try to get dc to run a few in house ads featuring upcoming dlcs.. they did early on. you can find house ads for the two face, catwoman and penguin instances around the time the game launched.

maybe they can get a pity deal.
    • Like x 3
  19. DC Urban Committed Player

I am harsh on the game as-well, because I think it should be bigger. What DCU suffers from is catering to the smaller DC mmo fans, that is fine if you want nostalgia. If they want $$$, catering to mmo fans in general is the way to go. Proof? Look at other superhero mmo..There are either shutdown or struggling.

As crazy as this may sound on a DC forum, if DCU were less "DC" it would be more popular.

Just look around, many ppl want anime, fantasy, or general styles. Numerous travel powers, or other things which conflicts with DCU's vision. These ppl are ignored, and Batman, Supes, and Flash are shoved down their throats. May sound crazy, but a lot of ppl play DCU to be original or RP, not to be Batman or Superman.

Their thinking is this, the most profitability lies within the iconic characters; Marvel Heroes Omega displayed how this narrative is false when the generic Champions Online outlasted it.
  20. Skandov Well-Known Player

I agree to disagree. It's not the DC brand itself there's the problem, but the game quality. And also the amount of microtransactions stuffed down your throat. Believe me, other players hear about these things when they're in search for a new mmo to play and they don't consider DCUO at all, because the game is so outdated, the devs don't do what's nessesary for the game to shine. The only two reasons people play this game is either 1: They like DC Comics or 2: They're console players looking for an mmo to play, because mmo games are few on console and they just pick up DCUO.

I'm in on number 1, I love DC Comics, but honestly the game is so outdated and devs doesn't make the right decisions. If it wasn't a DC lore game, I would be gone long time ago (I'm on PC) the game is just not good enough to compete with other mmos out there doing most things right.
    • Like x 4