I just want simple answer from anybody from Daybreak Game Company.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by BƖack, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

The PvP community has always vehemently disagreed with each other on even the most basic concepts and options in PvP, and has only ever included a small fraction of the population of DCUO. Overcoming that hurdle is perhaps impossible. It would take an enormous amount of time and work to unscramble the state of PvP now, define a new direction, and execute that new direction successfully, which again may well be impossible.

It seems to be a low probability that we would find a new or old design most players enjoyed. It seems to be a low probability that we would be able to execute it to the standards we and you require. It seems to be a low probability that such an update would meaningfully change player behavior with regard to PvP. It seems to be a low probability that any revenue would result.

It also seems likely that undertaking such an effort would mean not doing at least one episode that year, and more likely that it would mean not doing two episodes that year.

The potential impossibility of finding a liked design, unlikely possibility of success, unlikely chance that more PvP would be played, unlikely return on investment in terms of revenue, and the near certainty of giving up episodes to undertake this kind of update makes PvP not a top priority for now.

That said, it still remains something the team wants to do overall, if we can find a way around the above hurdles.
    • Like x 25
  2. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Perhaps, but we tried this for 6 months two years ago, and only ever seemed to make players angrier and louder, as - again - many strongly disagree with each other. Tweaks were not enough, and players demanded more.
    • Like x 7
  3. Iconic Simulation YouTuber

They have said exactly that on maybe occasions. During the AMA for augments, they allowed ppl to ask off topic questions. The same stupid pvp balance question was asked and Mepps said that there is no upcoming future plans for pvp.

Edit: Nvm the Great Mepps hath spoken!
  4. Plowed In Loyal Player

Add to your edit... “again...and again...and again”
  5. BumblingB I got better.

On the concept of "old" design, when was PvP the most "active" for the "longest"? Was it before F2P? Was it after immunity update? Was it during the time when we had the RPS for roles in play? Before Last Laugh? During Last Laugh? After Last Laugh? First PvP season? Second Season? I can't imagine this information being lost to at least find out.

I think a considerable amount of players wouldn't mind reverting back to a model that at least was tolerable? Over the years, update after update, it became more and more annoying to play that the general populace just says eff it and walk away from it. I'm not a PvPer, but I did PvP enough to know that it was at least better long before last laugh. When best gear was the avatar bombardier.

Could something such as finding the most played time be used as a model for it and what comes out of it, be what we get?

I don't want to lose out of a DLC or two a year, but the state that PvP is at right now and for how long it's been like that, does make it impossible for new players to experience a big chunk of the game.
    • Like x 8
  6. Coelha Well-Known Player

It's understandable... It's sad the decisions taken in the past have such a bad impact in the game right now both PvE and PvP... Well we can't change the past.

That said, I believe Legends PvP is in a better position than Arenas, are there bug fixes/small balance changes for it in your plans ? And a little bit off topic, maybe for Legends PvE? Increasing the damage done/decreasing the adds/bosses CR could make a big difference.
  7. recoil2 Dedicated Player

the point mepps is trying to make, is the people asking to improve pvp are like a hornet or really REALLY painful and venomous wasp, they're nasty and defensive and stabby enough as is, but once you go and disturb the nest they get even MORE venomous and even more of them get riled. the problem with pvp players is that they DON'T know WHAT they WANT. smart people don't even get into pvp because if they have shout turned on, they can see all the hateful, racially disrespectful, and outright noxious and toxic things pvp players outside legends and arenas where there are no chat channels say to each other after losing. it's as bad a problem as gold spammers with their bots everywhere, sometimes 2 or 3 in chat cutting off communication.
    • Like x 3
  8. BumblingB I got better.

No no no, they KNOW what they want. The problem is, what they want is an one sided exploit that only they can do. The problem is, the devs need a balance that is not only fair but can be utilized by both experienced and inexperienced alike.

When they added the ranking system to queue it had also a negative aspect. Players would cheat it. They love steam rolling.

Honestly I think the worst stuff they did to pvp were things like the reward changes and seasons. They seriously wanted to go an esports way, but not enough was built to actually utilize it.
    • Like x 2
  9. Cyro Committed Player

The reason i stopped playing and let my sub expire is because my two favorite parts of the game have died, sm and pvp. I felt no need to be the best, to grind the insane amount of grinding that is now required. With pvp i wanted to get more sp to get an edge on competition. I wanted to advance my character for the sake of pvp.

when i was done with the latest episode i would play pvp, pvp would keep me around and interested in the game, it was something to do and something i enjoyed. Without pvp and without sm i see no point in ever rewarding my sub.

If you ever do go down the route of fixing pvp please send out an email, i dont check this often
    • Like x 3
  10. DanXVII Committed Player

Just before Weapon Mastery came out it was at it's best IMO.
    • Like x 2
  11. eanur Well-Known Player

(Probably should write this in the pvp thread but since this post is up ill put it here)

I understand what your saying about pvp being too much of an effort to fix but how about instead of trying to fix regular pvp instead you guys look at legends pvp. Legends is broken like regular but the issues behind it are not complicated to fix.

For starters balancing the characters will be a lot easier then balancing the whole of PvP you only have a few characters that needs tweaking and your good on balance. Next you got to give an incentive and i think the major flaw in the past has been separating PvP and PvE. People used to do legends for the marks to get better PvP gear but since people don't like regular PvP anymore they don't do legends so give people an incentive to do legends PvP that in a small way helps build your character. Keep the old PvP marks as rewards but also reward people with ninth metals and augment fragments, which with the grind going on would be appreciated, and also combine the legends PvE and PvP feats together to allow people to get these skill points another way.

I think also going back to the old map rotation would help but not to the extreme of when PvP first came out. Rather then having 1 of each size match have like 3 x 1vs1, 3 2vs2, 3 4vs4 and 3 8vs8 maps going on on a rotation. Introducing new maps surely wouldn't be too much work as there have been plenty of PvE maps since over the last couple of years that could easily be changed to PvP style.

Legends PvP has always been a good feature to this game and it don't really require half a years work and a missed DLC to fix.
    • Like x 1
  12. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Start with Legends please. arena is understandibly too complicated to start with - and impossible to "sell"

1. fix bugs
    2. go back to the 3 tap rule
    3. do minor balance fixes
    4. sell new legends
    5. make fun replayable PvP missions
    6. make a vendor that sells styles and base items for marks of legend
    • Like x 5
  13. Arqueiro Robusto Well-Known Player

How about just taking a surveys for the direction of PvP? I think I have talked to many player that would like a return to the days of the RPS system and other changes. The best change you can do for PvP right now is return immunity back to 3 seconds. Immunity and the power spam the is the main issue with PvP right now. Everything else we can be patient with.

The surveys have proven to work. I suspect this thread will have much more attention soon.
    • Like x 1
  14. Isif Committed Player

The answer was given, but I guess ya still poking around for a "better" answer. Hyper-persistance usually gets threads locked.
    • Like x 5
  15. Shark Dental Devoted Player

I'm just quoting what the devs have said in the past. They said it was a small minority.
  16. Shark Dental Devoted Player

To add to everything said, I would like to point out the ramifications of Mepps' comment regarding losing an episode or two for pvp.

In many MMOs tweaks are CONSTANTLY happening to the powersets based primarily on their effect/imbalances in PVP giving unfair advantages, etc. These MMOs often release far less PVE content each year than DCUO, focusing more heavily on PVP than PVE.

So it might not even be possible - or at the very least profitable - to pay attention to both PVP and PVE, and we all know which one pays the bills around here in terms of replay badge sales, subscriptions, etc.

In all likelihood, returning PVP to an optimal state wouldn't just be a large one-time undertaking, but a constant, year-in-year-out distraction that would lead to fewer DLCs EVERY YEAR. And, might I point out, bland DLCs with no mechanics or new instances, in comparison to the richer DLCs we got like E3 or TJC.
  17. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Just wanted to say how nice it was of you to take the time to clearly spell things out in this post Mepps. Very well written, respectful but direct. Thanks.
    • Like x 2
  18. Soul Dedicated Player

You know, the argument that the customers can't decide on their preferences and therefor there is no reason to attempt to make revenue out of PvP is a bit absurd.. especially considering the most successful video games in the market as of this moment are all essentially based on PvP and PvP only..

The issue here isn't with the customer, the issue has always been the lack of importance given to the subject by your management.
    Your initial concept for PvP in this game proved potent enough to intrigue a large number of people, a lot of which had no special interest in the DC genre specifically, including myself.

The unique combat system you have in this game, and the unique RPS role system you USED to have in this game, were great selling points that could've played a major role in this game's success..

However, I would agree that at this point you should minimize your losses, and I'm very happy a decision was made to be upfront about your intentions regarding the matter. A lot of (Obsessively) loyal customers waited years holding unto a speck of hope for PvP, pretty much all of them finally gave up the last two years.

This was fun while it lasted, thank you. :)
    • Like x 6
  19. Proxystar #Perception

If it's all such an effort in futility just change some stuff and see how it goes, it's literally not like it can get any worse Mepps.

Maybe chuck the rock paper scissors element back in and see what effect that has for example, put movement mode debuffs back in, see how that works out.

Like I say it's literally not going to get any worse when it's already at rock bottom.
    • Like x 7
  20. hoaxone Committed Player

If scrapping pvp all together in this game meant more memory and space to create better and bigger content,would people be down for it?
    It's pretty obvious people,they arent gonna mess with it anytime in the near future and theres other games to get a pvp fix.
    • Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.