How Would You Rank the DCUO Raids?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by ObsidianChill, May 24, 2019.

1. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

2. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

Watched your video. Great work! I agreed with many, disagreed with some but that's what makes horse races!

I was thinking that it really is a pity that so many players never got to experience raids like FOS2 and Inner back when they were new and VERY challenging. Some of the best times I had on the game were those early days trying to beat those #%$@#$# raids! :)
    • Like x 1
  3. recoil2 Dedicated Player

overall i'd rank them about B or C, nice and all, but not very diverse. new genesis now and the atlantis/justice league dark DLC's were interesting and used some very creative new assets, and of course while the raids themselves would probably be fun if done right; we don't have "raid" people in DCUO, the raids are fine, the players and hours on end long que times? not so much.
    • Like x 1
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Can't really answer that because I don't raid, at least not in the traditional sense.

I've done solo walk-ins on old raid/alert content during the CR differential days and run the Doomsday fight a grand total of two times (to gain eligibility to buy the Superman emblem on two characters) but that's it.

Still, any feedback is useful, so there's my answer. :D
    • Like x 1
  5. AlyceNefarios Well-Known Player

How come you don't raid? seems rather strange not to do Any raids!
    Don't you need the rewards to level your toons? the SPs from feats?
    What's the main reason you don't do them?
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Raids I particularly found disappointing:
    Hand of Fate raids: huge fail, trying to migrate open world on a PS3 was a nightmare
    League Hall: Lockdown - totally forgettable gameplay, keep adds off the artifact, dodge AoEs
    KCT - just bad mechanics and terrible cut-scenes
    Starro TTB - unless you were working towards the no death feat, the only thing that made this raid interesting was the mind control mechanic
    Crown of Thorns - forced into swimming movement, adds are ridiculously over powered, this was a pain in the *** to tank and as a healer I did more countering to keep King Shark off the DPS than should have been necessary
    Throne - Sea Beast fight was ok except for the limited space to move around, Corum Rath fight just felt too long
    Shattered Gotham - I'm just going to keep Man-Bat trinket on my utility belt forever
    • Like x 2
  7. Darth Piper Loyal Player

So the short of it is, the Nekron fight of BLackest Night and the Doctor Fate fight of Fellowship of the Arcane are basically the same... DPS sit around and do nothing other than acquire and deliver objects in order to make the boss vulnerable to damage. Kill the adds and new ones spawn. Black pools of death vs ankh bombs. Until I watched the video I never made that association directly.
  8. Miss Adora Loyal Player

I agree with most, but I disagree with Hall of hades, having Cerberus run around made the raid fun. The fight as them selves not so great but Cerberus did make the players stay on their toes, or he can show out of nowhere.
    • Like x 1
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Too many incidents of other players trying to play the "you must be THIS tall to ride this attraction" game for my taste. Even before CR became a part of the game it was taking place pretty regularly, so I decided to heck with that noise. It's my free time and I won't allow my enjoyment of the game to be dependent on the (at times) ridiculously high standards of some other players.

As for SP I really don't sweat it that much. I'll go for the feats associated with the content I do run, but that's more for accomplishing the challenge rather than for the feat points. The closest I've come to chasing feats for feat/stat points is getting styles off the Rare Style vendor, and I've just got one left that I need to finish for my villain character. Plus I've never been a min/max kind of player, and in my experience getting gear tends to make more of a difference with difficulties I have with content than getting SP.
    • Like x 2
  10. AlyceNefarios Well-Known Player

"you must be this tall to ride this attraction" - lol!
    Well, sure, that's always been the worst part of the game, all the dikheads insisting about the only way to play.
    That frustrates me, but I ignore them, and raid anyway. Who cares if they object to my toon not being optimal? Fk them. I'm here to enjoy myself :D
    • Like x 1
  11. MsTickle Fate Devoted Player

I was in a raid with a guy some weeks who spent the entire raid not just screaming at everyone that they didn't know what they were doing, but being as insulting as possible while doing so. When challenged, he said that he's in the military and he knows that to make people succeed you had to break them down before you can build them up.

He went on further to explain that he was being a drill sergeant to the raid party and that it was "necessary."

I pointed out to him that this was ridiculous because -- wait for it! -- DCUO is a game, not military training. And people didn't sign up to be treated like they were in boot camp.

But he insisted at ever greater length that as a military person he knew better, and everyone had to listen to him for their own good, and they'll never succeed otherwise, and that was about when I said "kthxbai" and left.

What a nutjob. Why he thinks players in an MMO should be treated exactly as if they were in military boot camp, I can't say. Highly limited imagination?

Anyway, speaking of players who insist on their way or the highway, and being pompous twerpy dingbats.
    • Like x 2
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

To me it's the atmosphere/environment that kind of attitude can create. It's tough to feel like raids are a welcoming place when you have people essentially declaring "You can't come in here!" before you even step foot inside, especially when the people who made the game say you're good to go.

But this is becoming something of a tangent now so I'll stop there. :D
    • Like x 2
  13. AlyceNefarios Well-Known Player

wow. that's quite an amazing comment!
    overall, those people, even less extreme versions, have always been the worst part of this game, for me.
    and you are right, it does comes from a lack of imagination. they can't innovate or be creative, so they all follow what others have done, and claimed to be optimal. anyone doing anything even slightly different threatens their sense of composure and confidence. it's so irritating.
  14. AlyceNefarios Well-Known Player

yes, I agree totally. it sux.
  15. recoil2 Dedicated Player

for me the biggest reason i don't raid, is simply the sheer incompetence. now you have no need to worry about me screaming like a maniac, but if by the 4th or 5th wipe on the same boss/raid area and or the problem player/s refuses to listen to politely put forward sound advice, then i leave. i've found this to be a problem at EVERY tier and level of DCUO both in raids and alerts, so it's not just snobbish elites or inexperienced players specifically, this is a problem even at end game in tier 9 going on tier 10. what use is it if i exhaust every heal i have if the entire team jumps into a swarming mob clearly too strong in numbers for the dps to tackle without a strategy? this is the number one reason 10/11 of the 11 teams i took into blackest night failed utterly, no thought or stratagem. one thing that would help would be if players weren't indoctrinateded to do nothing but DPS from level one all the way to tier 9 (in the case of CR skip tokens). till we teach new players that DPSING isn't the only role needed for success, and start teaching said players how to do other roles effectively, raids will simply be inoperable.
  16. TheOracle Active Player

What is your motivation behind this Chill?
  17. EconoKnight XIII Legion

I would guess the continuation of making this OCUO (ObsidianChill Universe Online). You do realize he and his friends are running the game now?
  18. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

To do something different, most of what I upload has never been done by others in dcuo. I don't want to just upload a duo or an alert and talk for 20min I try to offer something each time I make a vid.
  19. HL4LYFE Well-Known Player

i jumped into DCUO like a month before Orgin Crisis released, so i couldnt rate anything prior to it as i never played it at level, an i was gone from Blackest Night till Atlantis so i couldnt rate those either. What I can say is Dox an Nexus are still my all time favorites, pre nerf, I could be a lil biased as well because this was also before GU36, A&B was pre GU36 but i hated all the zoning, especially as a PS3 user at the time.
  20. RealTegan Dedicated Player

I started to rank the raids and realized I wasn't giving anything a higher than D... so I guess you can just say I hate raids in general.

That said, it really depends on who you are running with. Before my league fell apart thanks to Time Capsules, there was a core group that was great fun to run with. They made sure I understood the mechanics, and didn't carry me so much as guide me through older raids and alerts.

I dared Shattered Gotham yesterday and got a pretty fun group. Laughing about falling off the rocks, waiting for people to catch up and just chatting while they waited. It was a good experience - but I detest that raid. With any normal pug group I just clench my teeth and endure it to get the currency. This group made it feel like a game.

So, I guess what I'm saying is my favorite raid is one that's run with a good group. The mechanics and style are less important than the people.
    • Like x 2