How toxic is this community really?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Scarletboy, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

The toxic people you encounter either here or in any other MMO, I would just put them on ignore if they attempt to stalk you in game. The thirsty creepers are the ones that really make me uneasy.

And as Dominic has said, CHAT is filled with toxic nonsense at times depending on where you are located ie: Little Boh, Watchtower, Hall of Doom. Those are mostly people arguing about losing a duel or worse winning a duel and rubbing the victory in face of the defeated.

I still believe the majority of DCUO’s community are good people.
    • Like x 5
  2. Proxystar #Perception

My experience.

Casual players are typically incredibly nice and fun to play with, not a care in the world.

Players playing elite content, routinely way more serious and thus much more toxic because of their expectation of others and their desire to succeed at everything.

TLDR - competitiveness drives toxicity when some players forget it's a game.
    • Like x 10
  3. bboy-rei Well-Known Player

The community is fine for the most part, otherwise the population would be even worse.

From personal experience toxic situations:
    -PVP in general
    -Occasional arguments on public chats
    -Runs with randoms in regular content where the instance requires more than just pew pew damage
    -Elite runs through LFG and something goes wrong
    -Scoreboard chasers
    -Creepers when you use a female toon
    -If playing as an iconic toon, iconic leagues who criticize your looks and power choices
    • Like x 7
  4. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

Yeah, that's pretty much my experience. That's why I mostly PUG regular content and avoid running Elite alerts and raids with randos. I don't like drama. Although even in some regular raids, even on EU server, some people can occasionally get pi**y. Into The Dark Multiverse comes to mind.
    • Like x 2
  5. Scarletboy New Player

What exactly is a try hard in this game? People who want to be the best? Maybe they can help the game by helping other players get to where they are so the ques have more players in them. I didn't ask for help but the wiki helped me figure things out. It took me a long time though. Wasted money on things I didn't understand and all that.
  6. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

No. Most likely they hurt the game, by forgetting this is just a game for kids and treating other players like sh*t, if they are deemed not "gud" enough for Elite and Elite Plus.
    • Like x 3
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

True enough. But especially in open world areas or hubs, it doesn't hurt to have a chat channel set up that gives you some...silence from the nastier noise. ;)
    • Like x 2
  8. beardrive Committed Player

A tryhard is somebody who's going to top the scorecard, while ignoring everyone else in the content.

It has been my experience with DCUO over a number of years that toxicity on the EU server has mostly been weeded out by players who will no longer play with those people. Newer toxic players who are angry enough leave within the first 6 months now.

You will find hateful speech, though people are more often than not quite helpful.

/Ignore username will take care of the rest
    • Like x 2
  9. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I tease this community a lot, but it's not the worst online community I've come across, not by a long shot. There are those 'Leetists who think all other players are there to ensure the game is enjoyable for them, and them alone, but they are by far the minority.
    • Like x 1
  10. Dene Devoted Player

I *want* them to behave like that but what Flying Moon said is more how they generally act (not all just a few bad apples that ruin it)

NO NO - in fact its a cool fun part of the game.. if anyone is annoyed then please ignore them and you do you!
    • Like x 1
  11. Limey Committed Player

This is a prime example of the subtle toxicity you'll find, a pseudo-smart-*** that is actually embarrassing themselves by failing to understand the contextual differences between "is this community toxic?" and "how toxic is this community?"
    • Like x 1
  12. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

During last years Save the Universe event in the Kandor raid someone started complaining about my characters inadequate artifacts and got me kicked. Put that bastard on my friends list and I am just waiting...WAITING fr the day we're in a group again so I can do the same!!!

Fortunately I haven't seen this character log on since about a week after that. I found over the years that the truly toxic ones don't stick around for long.

I have a weird threshold. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. I also crack wise a lot which tends to catch people off guard. For the most part I'll play with anyone...as long as they don't have a vulgar screename
    • Like x 4
  13. FatL69 New Player

Very, very, very toxic. Go to hod for a few minutes and you'll see constant arguments where ppl are being crazy toxic.
  14. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I guess I see these things as relative, compared to other MMO's, it's pretty tame. Compared to any public gathering place IRL, and Sweet cheese and crackers, it's a rhetorical cesspool. I can count the number of people I've blocked (and it's a source of amusement to my friends how easily I block people) in the past year on one hand.
    • Like x 1
  15. Hraesvelg Always Right

Or someone that eyerolls every time someone uses the nebulous and ill-defined term "toxic" to mean anything from "He disagrees with me and didn't tell me all of my ideas were wonderful!" to "He uses specifically targeted slurs and physical threats!".
    • Like x 1
  16. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I've come to use the term to define people who insist that the game be run, the way they want it run, regardless of other players. Further, when they're challenged on this, resort to insults that wouldn't be repeated in other mixed company. I'll give an example from a few years back. Myself and a number of league members, who were gay, were running, and we pugged a DPS. This DPS was constantly flying blind around corners, and when we caught up to him he was either knocked out or on the verge, the tank would then have a hard time getting the situation under control and half the time we would have to wait for this guy after he respawned. Over voice he was consistently using a three letter slur to describe other members of the group, and whatever popular culture figure happened to pop into his head. Hearing my normally talkative league mates going into silent mode it was obvious they were uncomfortable. I asked this guy to tone it down, and he asked me if I was a three letter slur. I'm still very proud of this response, "No, but the weekend is coming, who knows what will happen" You could practically hear the vein in the side of his head nearly burst. This led to a stream of slurs about me, my ancestry and my current relationships. I had no problem starting the vote to kick, and the positive response from others happened in record time.

That guy was toxic
    • Like x 3
  17. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

Yeah, buzzwords are annoying... Few days ago my 65 year old mother, who lives in Eastern Europe and fairly recently started using social media (meaning - Facebook) told me on the phone, that she'd just found out that some members of our family, whose behaviors and/or characters she's disapproved of for decades, are what's called "toxic people"... My eye-balls hit the back of my skull. :)
    • Like x 1
  18. Emoney Dedicated Player

Under no circumstances should you create/join a chat titled 5v5. Unless of course you are really curious how toxic players can be. ;)
  19. Scarletboy New Player

Ewww what a 4 letter slur starting with a d he was ! I understand that too I'm gay and I would definitely like to avoid hangups of any kind.
    • Like x 1
  20. beardrive Committed Player

Hahaha! Our HOD has less than ONE message per day, and it's usually "Need 7 for OPxx". XD