How toxic is this community really?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Scarletboy, Mar 22, 2023.

1. Scarletboy New Player

Newish player here and I've had many good interactions but most people claim the community is toxic? What are everyone else's experiences?
    • Like x 1
  2. Eshmaki New Player

Stay away from PvP and elitist.
  3. Essential Exobyte Dedicated Player

It’s toxic. Everyone thinks they da best at dcuo. .00001% (aka like 8 ppl) of the players are ridiculous try hards and ruined the content for the rest of the players. But I digress.
    • Like x 1
  4. Irvynnge Loyal Player

there are, absolutely, a lot of knob 'eads out there. but, honestly, man, most of us ain't that bad. it's just that the knobs are noisier. stick with it. it's no different from the world outside your window. don't let the begrudgers get you down.
    • Like x 10
  5. Dene Devoted Player

Finding that good group and gaining friends in DCUO makes a huge difference.. also don't try to impress people.. just play the best you can but have fun and then the good people will be there.. it is the try hards that ruin it for eachother and themselves
    • Like x 5
  6. Talks2MuchSense Well-Known Player

The Community isn't as Toxic as some would claim. As long as you're willing to learn and are OK with being wrong about things sometimes, it's perfectly fine. On the Forums all you'll need to do is keep an eye out for 3 specific groups of people and add them to your Ignore List:

1) The Members who constantly blame Players for issues despite there being extremely clear evidence that the issue inherently originates within the game and/or the games systems. They'll hilariously claim its down to "player knowledge" because in their world they've never considered someone, let alone many people, might know better than them. It's an ego thing.

2) The Members who will argue a point to the ground despite some extremely simple Math disagreeing with them. Add them to ignore instead of trying to teach them, they can't be taught.

3) Members who jump into Threads and post their own Subject Matter despite it being off topic and being an attempt to derail the Thread, just so that they can try to shine a light on a subject they have an unhealthy obsession with. You won't run into this too often luckily, but you'll see them eventually.

As long as those 3 are on Ignore, I can almost guarantee you'll have no problems at all on the Forums at least. Everyone else can be something the 3 examples above can't be, reasonable.
    • Like x 2
  7. Scarletboy New Player

What exactly is a try hard in this game? People who want to be the best? Maybe they can help the game by helping other players get to where they are so the ques have more players in them. I didn't ask for help but the wiki helped me figure things out. It took me a long time though. Wasted money on things I didn't understand and all that.
  8. Scarletboy New Player

I like to show off my creativity with my characters designs does that annoy people?
    • Like x 1
  9. Scarletboy New Player

Solid advice
    • Like x 1
  10. Scarletboy New Player

Wow seem like you really have experience with the toxic players. I will steer clear from confrontation with them.
  11. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

Good idea. You may also want to be wary of
    4) Members who think they have simple solutions to all game's problems and the only reason no one takes them seriously is because they "talk too much sense"... ;)
    • Like x 4
  12. Limey Committed Player

Not as good as FFXIV, but not as bad as reddit.

Avoid shout chat in hubs and metro/Gotham and you should be fine.
  13. Drathmor Unwavering Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  14. Talks2MuchSense Well-Known Player

Ran into a few here and there. Eventually I set up those 3 categories for myself and the Forum has be great ever since. I even see there's someone looking to join the ignore club in here already by posting nonsense with no context or explanation who didn't even have the guts to tag me in their reply. Probably someone who had their previous account closed by the looks of it. I'll leave it to you to decide if they look like someone who would have reasonable opinions in the future or if they'd be better suited to losing their say going forward.
  15. Hraesvelg Always Right

Guess what...every community is "toxic," be it game related or in civic groups or workplaces...even the people who weaponize the word "toxic".

You'll have nice people, you'll have jerks, you'll have trolls, you'll have try-hards, you'll have snobs, you'll have generous people with time and resources. It's called being a primate. Fasten your seatbelt and welcome to the world.
    • Like x 2
  16. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

Speaking from my own experience I would say the DCUO Community are made up of mostly good people, the good outnumber the bad or toxic. Our community is made up of people so naturally there will be mean people in mix just as there are in any other MMO. Each MMO has its own toxic population mixed in with the good.

I only occasionally encounter someone who is toxic, mostly a few creepers.
    • Like x 6
  17. GermanM Committed Player

There will be toxic people in all games that promote competition, as is the case with this one. There also will be toxic people in games where mechanics punish other players if someone make a mistake, as is the case with this one (again).
    From 1 to 10 I would say that the range of toxicity here is 5 in normal content and 8 in elite.
    • Like x 1
  18. Ryazan Dedicated Player

Pretty much the vision I have when outside of elite, pvp and feats. The inverse of what you said is how I feel it is outside of regular content.
    • Like x 1
  19. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

Pssst... Little tip: if you click on the avatar of the poster, you can see who's had the same account since 2013 and who started theirs - say - on Nov 28 2022... :)
  20. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

I've read some pretty crazy stuff in general shout chat in HoL/WT/HoD and LFG/Trade chat over the six years I've been playing this game that makes you go wut??? Oh and the occasional pugged Raid if someone is really cranky because they haven't had their Snickers bar that day. If general chat in DCUO ain't qualifying for toxic behavior I dunno what would be at this point?
    • Like x 2