How To MAKE MONEY with Pvp...

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Se7enDaOutsida, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Se7enDaOutsida New Player

Sooo I've been playing since beta.. and due to disarray with my favorite game I've been on and off because I prefer pvp to most pve. I've noted the devs slowly lost interest in the pvp due to conflicts involving best methods to turn profit. So with that in mind I thought I'd finally throw my hat into the pot with some suggestions to possibly smooth out multiple ends of this issue and satisfy both pvp and pve players in one set.

So here's my grand plan ..

Suggestion for Legends Characters -
    legends characters on their own don't bring enough revenue so they need to be coupled with pve "Legends" mission. What I'm thinking is with whatever new legend to be introduced they need to be brought in with a type of origin playable mission from the comics.
    If you have let's say blue lantern flash, he should be introduced with a mission from let's say the black lanterns saga and be the only playable character the 1st time allowing players to use their own premades only after successfully completing the mission the 1st time or even another legend. Me being a pvp player would love more missions direct from the comics where I could play a certain version of black suit superman, new 52 Aquaman, Martian manhunter etc. Not just my own character. It's been done somewhat in game with bizzaro and huntress but I'd like more to this.
    These missions should function simular to the vault -
    Playing the mission repeatedly should yield not only multiple deeds but both special pve and pvp drops.

Suggestions for drops -

1. Pvp and pve gear that has 10-50 points higher toughness/defense then gear presently brought at the vendor. This way the advantage is useful but yet not massively overpowering the regular gear.

2. Making better use of ultility belts in pvp -

These suggestions should apply for both arena and open world.

I'd like to see set specific temp powers, like a fire tank getting a new temp power aoe or quantum getting a new single target attack one for each set would help to give new variety without adding whole new sets. (I do understand this could be an undertaking but I see value in the idea.) An alt to this is temp powers of already accessible abilities but random as in fire tank using an ice tank temp power or quantum using a gadgets controller ability.

. As there are builds that are by some people's standards overpowered I'd like a rare drop with the same rate as travel powers from the vault. Versions of these drops can be a new permanent power that has 30 min timer to it's use, I emphasize this as to not allow overuse) but in use gives a character type (this part is a toss up) 15 secs to a min of a MIGHTY buff or debuff. An alternate to this is a temporary power that disappears after one use but no more then one can be obtained at a time. These power types I'm calling ultimates ( for lack of a better term)

A tank could obtain "invincible" it's general resilience given a massive temporary advance in toughness/defense where they are impossible to fall by normal means, while also gaining a moderate attack buff.

A controller can be granted "Full Control" a massive buff for all stuns holds etc that makes them unresistable, While also making them completely immune to stuns holds debuffs etc. Also add a moderate attack buff

A healer can obtain "full regeneration" granting a strong continuous heal which requires no stamina to keep up. Add a moderate attack buff.

I think these in practice can be tricky but if adjusted right will allow people with any kind of build a chance to win any kind of fight with one or multiple opponents without being the only power people turn to due to the long wait time. I would like the buffs and debuffs to be Very VERY strong so that it's use isn't mute to a well built character which can go long battles without much trouble. These being usable in both pve and pvp would give both kinds of players incentive to play the legend missions frequently

Superheros often have a SUPER ability which would allow them to supass overwhelming odds. Presently in-game the best to having this is being well built or spamming a powerful move, and sometimes... More rarely... Skill lvl/build combo. this gives anyone a once every 30 min chance to overpower any build.or the alt, a one time ability to overpower everyone around them.

Clothes and auras -
    these missions should contain drops for clothing that revolves around the legend who's available for the particular mission. Earth 2 flash would produce earth 2 flash chest piece, boots etc. I'd also like specific to these missions auras that add slight bit of attack damage in only pvp. Giving the slight advantage of more power compared to standard flashy auras and given the aura more purpose

For having available powers from other sets, a new legend, an ultimate, slightly stronger gear, and a "powered" aura from both pve and pvp, I'd easily pay $15 for this maybe more debately.

Hope I didn't waste breath here lol

Thoughts/other suggestions?

Thanks for your time.
  2. Roguester Well-Known Player

Why in gods name would u ever want something like this ?
    Whats next a 1 shot trinket found in the vault?
    Instead of focusing on making suggestions for the mechanic of the game itself ,u guys seem to ask the same things that destroyed pvp and made it the spam fest it is today.
    Any benefit that any role should ever get like the ones u listed ,should be from performing a succesful counter,this would make players play more on the mechanic then on the brainless farming/looting for trinkets side of the game that ruined it to start with.

Try this example,https://forums.daybreakgames.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/the-remedy-for-pvp.261396/
  3. Brit Loyal Player

Here is the basic breakdown of PvP.

The majority of players are not interested in it. Don't get me wrong; PvP games are very popular online. However, the MMO fanbase is primarily built around players interested in PvE (and even more specifically, built around PvE group content). That's not a shortcoming of DCUO; that is basically every MMO out there. In games like World of Warcraft, or Star Wars Old Republic, PvP barely counts as more than a minigame that makes up a very small percentage of the game's total content, and while there are players who enjoy it, they are not the majority of the playerbase.

Of the remaining players who actually are strongly interested in PvP, the majority still do not actually play the PvP. The most popular reason why that these players will give is that "PvP is broken" or "PvP needs fixed." This is a misleading statement. PvP is fully functional. You can join into a match. Powers work. Weapons work. People take damage. People die. Scores are earned. Somebody wins. Rewards are granted. It does work.

However, some of it does not work how the players want it to work. In Legends, for example, our stats get skewed. This results in Health Barrels doing effectively no healing. That sucks. When people need healing, and they see a health barrel, they want it to heal them for at least 50% of their life. But that's not how it works. In Legends, the meta is adjusted so that health barrels are worthless. Whether you like it or not, that's the way it is. They won't work for anybody on either side.

Some people liked Rock-Paper-Scissors. Some people liked Advanced Mechanics. Some people hated when Pets became the meta. Some people hated shields. Some people got angry when players would wear their PvE hands to exploit the hands mod. These are things that you may or may not like, but whether or not we like them, they were working as intended. It reflects a change in the meta, where you adapt or you fall behind. And since there will never be one answer that everybody likes, because everyone's tastes are different (they tried listening and adjusting PvP based on player suggestions and it was still largely reviled), there will never be this mythical "balance" that players claim that they're waiting for. There will always be the meta, something that is better than something else, and either you adjust to the meta or you play with a handicap.

The real reason why people who like PvP don't PvP isn't waiting for fixes, even if that's what they say. The real reason is... no rewards. The players who enjoy PvP, played it anyways, even when the mechanics weren't exactly what they liked. There are lots of us who have thousands of matches in, who earned those feats and got our gear. And now if we queue up again, we get... nothing.

If they want to make a profit off of PvP, and it's never going to be as big as the profits they make off of cosmetics, mind you, but if they want to make a profit off of PvP, this is what they have to do.

CR102 PvP suit. New style, exclusive to PvP. New feat associated with that style. Players now have a reason to return. Then we need to continue introducing new PvP sets at regular intervals (it's been over 2 years since the last one). Keep the treadmill going, the same way that they do for PvE, so that players are constantly working on their gear.

THEN, monetize Legends. Sell new Legends characters. Sell new Marketplace Exclusive skins for Legends characters. What's more, bundle those Legends skins in the marketplace with a cosmetic item unavailable through other means. For example, an alternative skin for Bizarro that is Bizarro #1, or Forever Evil Bizarro, or whatever. And then purchase of that Legends Skin from the marketplace also includes a Bizarro Emblem that you can display on your character (that emblem otherwise not being available in the game). PvP people will buy it. Cosmetics fans will buy it. It moves units for minimal amount of investment. PvP makes a profit.

They could do the same with any character. Wonder Girl New 52 skin, and it comes with the combo Wonder Woman/Girl shirt and leather jacket chest style. Red Son Superman as an alt skin for Superman, and the Red Son emblem included in the purchase. Earth-2 Superman as an alt skin for Superman, and then included is the two-tone ombre style Superman hair. The possibilities are endless.

PvP players need to have gear to be grinding for. Cosmetics Players (which are honestly the whales) need to have a cosmetic worth paying for. And then, hopefully, when a cosmetics player who normally isn't very interested in PvP, suddenly finds that they have purchased multiple Legends characters in order to get some collectable styles, they eventually try them out a bit and decide to work towards some of those PvP style sets as well by earning their tier gear.

Honestly, PvP is a lot less about adjusting the mechanics. They will never be able to make everyone happy. Instead, it's just about putting something enough out there that there is a reason why they should queue up and play a match, even if there is something about it that annoys you.
  4. Roguester Well-Known Player

While what u said is true,what i said is the exact opposite of pve,if you want to make another part of the game interesting and not just a ``minigame`` make it very different,and the mechanics in dcuo is by far the best to any combat game in a massive scale out there,it is the only one that has the potential to be an esport.
    My point is make pvp gearless and as accesible as possible,meaning a lvl 1 has the same chances to win as a lvl 30, this would allow players to escape the grind and ``hard work`` pve puts you thru and wary only about the beauty of facing another player,not gear,not lvls,not powers,not roles, only mechanic wise,thats what im trying to say, make pvp hardcore different from pve, so that they never bother each other in terms of stats /balance/gear/ etc.
  5. Scarlet Mysty Loyal Player

I cannot speak for everyone, but there are powers and combos which apparently do not work as intended and that is what is meant if I were to say 'PvP is broken'. The fact that there have been recent fixes and not a fundamental change to PvP shows that the things being fixed were 'broken' as it was not working as intended. Health barrels do not (or did not I think they were fixed) work, not just barrels but healing powers were also bugged Legends for a time, because it was broken, it had nothing to do with the meta and pretty much established as not intended by the devs, healing was generally bugged after the PvE revamp.

Based on what you are saying, If all combo's suddenly became unblockable, if blocker breakers didn't work, if powers did 10x damage they were intended everything you said still holds true. You would still be able to join a match, the powers work, weapons work, people take damage, people would die, scores would be earned, rewards are granted. As we can see virtually none of the things you point to as proof of it working actually prove anything in regards to whether or not anything is 'broken' in PvP. There are pretty useless as indicators of issues regarding PvP.
    The other issue is the removal of synthetics and prefabs meant there was even less to spend marks on. Now literally all you have is to grind out your gear. Prefabs and synths were always useful, and expensive enough for you to keep grinding them if you wanted to use them. At my peak more than 50% of the mods in my PvE gear were PvP prefabs, would have been even more if I didn't already have the stacks of exo's to make the standard mods.

Also i'd like to address the whole PvP not being popular thing. See there are many things in this game people don't find enjoyable, but they are told to do it because it's part of the game like grinding for example. It is the game design which tells PvEers that PvP is not part of their game. The game could and should encourage all players to play PvP just like it encourages PvP players to PvE. As PvP lags behind PvE there are less feats and so less to be gained for a PvEer. To optimise your PvP build it massively benefits you to PvE and gain feats from that side of the game, but not the other way around. I'm not even saying it should be equal, but there should be way more feats available from PvP at this stage.
    • Like x 1
  6. Catastrophic Repercussion Dedicated Player

I agree with Brit's assertion that incentive is the primary issue affecting PvP, but lack of balancing and consideration on PvP side of game play is an issue itself. This particular paragraph especially ticks off my nerve as a semi-regular mediocre LPvP player:
    This is completely false. Not only is healing a legitimate issue that affects Legends (Donna and Bane being prominent examples), healing barrels are broken in that they are fully operational in Shadowlands 1v1 and Star Labs 4v4, where as Batcave and Ace Chemicals only SC charge is there while HP and SP is simply not affected. You really miss the mark on this particular example.
  7. IceRaider Dedicated Player

No if you haven't noticed... it doesn't matter what gear you are wearing in arenas... even in pve gear you are synced up to the minimum level PvP gear. Really the only place PvP gear matters is open world and with a dead PvP phase, pansy wannabe PvP players whining during duels at players wearing said PvP gear i n a duel and no real PvP wars taking place in the open world PvP gear doesn't matter at all.... So you and Brit are both wrong.
  8. Lord Of 5 Well-Known Player

Pvp has been broken ever since level 10 toons could go in a match and beat a fully geared player simply by using a broken power and stat clamping. Pvp players left because all the time put in on getting gear and have real skill was taken away from them because a few non skilled players complained about Pvp being to hard. Most of the Pvp players I knew were all legendary members simply because they wanted the skill points to add to their stats.
    • Like x 1