How much?!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by 9001BPM, Sep 3, 2021.

1. MrWood Well-Known Player

This is how I can tell you are a bling loyalist. This is absolutely a terrible price, and you wont buy it. If you do, I'd love to see the receipt.
  2. Shark Dental Devoted Player

How is it disrespectful to offer a range of options? Can you see how contradictory your statement is?

1. For that price they better be mandatory for having the best DPS!

2. Such a high price when I can get just as much DPS from a less expensive version is DISREPECTFUL!
  3. OnlyNomad The One Above All

He'll buy it though, because he's a blind loyalist,
    [IMG]
    • Like x 1
  4. MrWood Well-Known Player

Price point... this does not need to be explained lol. Use some of that logic.
  5. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I just wanted to invoke the power of Hentai to destroy my enemies. :(
    • Like x 1
  6. Magnificent Loyal Player

I understand economics, it's one of my Minors. What I don't understand is putting out something players want but then but putting it out in an unfinished and/or underperforming aspect (after having been tested and gotten feedback indicating such) and charging a premium for them and believing people will actually pay it. To me, that's the insulting part. Their belief that we are not savvy enough to understand that forking over that amount of cash for Legendary Allies is a ridiculous loss of ROI versus what we can get from Rare and Epics.

Now that I've said this, watch them nerf the Rares and Epics. :confused:
    • Like x 3
  7. Shark Dental Devoted Player

This is the same argument players make in every MMO when there's a shiny they want (which is exactly why they're offered).

"That outfit is AWESOME but it's not worth $50! Talk about crazy! (The target customer doesn't care and buys it anyway, generating profit for the game).

"That optional _____ (insert cosmetic) looks SICK man! But $150 for an HEIRLOOM/CAPE/HAT/WINGS/etc.?!!! They're crazy! That's worth like $10 most!" (The target customer doesn't care and buys it anyway, generating profit for the game).

"Optional superheroes that we've always wanted as companions, sold for $25 in the marketplace?! They're crazy!!! We've been asking for them for 10 years so obviously they're worth $7.50 at most! I would go as high as $12.00 maybe!" (The target customer doesn't care and buys it anyway, generating profit for the game).
    • Like x 1
  8. Plowed In Loyal Player

Yep, hey look at that, another non-vertical system of progression for us to engage with. It’s as if they’re a game company with a strategic plan to continue growing. :) :p

<snark intended>

[IMG]
    • Like x 1
  9. Shark Dental Devoted Player

As far actual bugs, I agree there. That's a serious problem with such a premium item.

As far as DPS goes, you understand that you're arguing in favor of the devs introducing p2w into the game, right?
  10. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

The problem is I have four characters, quadrupling the price. If it’d had been redeemable for every character, I could have bought it. Pricing yourself out of the market won’t make you any money.
    • Like x 2
  11. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Also, I forgot to mention. Have you considered that perhaps the "Legendary" price doesn't have to do with how the allies perform but which allies they are? I wouldn't be surprised if the target demographic for this aren't even end game players but ones who roleplay or want to hang out/show off a certain caped crusader or wonderful woman.
  12. Magnificent Loyal Player

Perhaps you would understand it better if you weren't cherry-picking my post?

For $22.50 (members) - $25.00 (non-members) there is negative return on investment in purchasing Legendary Allies versus purchasing Rare or Epics when comparing their DPS and buffs. This is compounded when you understand that each one of the Legendary Allies has at least one broken or fairly useless buff.

To charge such a premium price is to expect that people will purchase it at that price point. To expect that people will purchase something at a premium price point the seller must believe the purchaser will see at least that much value in the item.

We are being charged a premium price for items which do not have premium performance and in some cases are broken (and known to be broken before being put out for sale) compared to their lower-cost alternatives (see my comment in the last post about ROI). That there is enough belief among Daybreak that people will spend MORE money on LESS performance (or even EQUAL) means they believe there is not enough among their customer base who understand value. In other words, they believe people are stupid enough to spend MORE money on things which perform LESS well.

Yes, that's insulting.
    • Like x 3
  13. Shark Dental Devoted Player

Look at it this way. The people who are willing to make high-value purchases for exclusive items, only do it if the item is exclusive. So, these people are happy to pay $25 for each one because it's BATMAN, etc.!"

Players such as yourself are probably willing to pay $40 for all four allies, or maybe when it comes down to it... ugh, he's not that important ... $20 for 2.

So, just one target customer has just spent more than 3-5 regular customers! And even the regular customers will eventually likely spring for at least 1 legendary ally at $25.

Is this worth it? Well, I'm guess the answer is yes because companies generally consider all of these factors when determining pricing in the first place. The devs know the purchasing habits of their target customers, how many there are, and what the ratio is of these players versus others.

P.S. - I'm not criticizing your purchasing habits at all. I'm not the target customer for any video game company. I'm a cheapskate, lol. I'm the "uh, I'll wait for it to come to GOG" client when it comes to video games.
  14. Shark Dental Devoted Player

See my latest post to you.
  15. Tiffany6223 Loyal Player

Hi meow, I just wanted to note that since the game is Free-to-Play, monetization has to occur somewhere. In Final Fantasy 14, the sell everything from styles to emotes and everything in between inspire of having to have membership to play it. It is not uncommon for a mount to sell for $29.99 or more.

Yes this is shocking as I don’t think there is an example of this in DCUO prior to Episode 41 but it is a common revenue generating tactic for games to do. I am sure we will see more of this in the future; I think we will have too due to the new nature of the game.
  16. Magnificent Loyal Player

That's a valid point but at the extreme jump in price it's an incredible mistake. We all love styles, it's what they are really making their bread and butter on, but charging $22-$25 for what is essentially a shorter-duration Iconic Sidekick or Henchman isn't going to sell.
    • Like x 2
  17. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

I’d been looking forward to getting Aquaman for weeks. I wish they’d said how much it was going to cost before, so I didn’t get excited for nothing. I’ve been having a rough time with the update and this was going to be some consolation. :(
    • Like x 2
  18. Major Shenanigans Well-Known Player

IMO,
    This is ridiculous.

All I can say is that these things are going to fail.
    LMAO
  19. Shark Dental Devoted Player

I agree with that. I think they made too many changes at the same time and it kind of backfired on them (hence the survey).

1. Go completely F2P and make membership not needed (members probably weren't thrilled with that). Goal: Bring in more new players and returning players.

2. Make earlier content infinitely harder than it used to be or a major slog for end game players. Goal: Scare away the new players or make returning players feel like DCUO is a chore now?!! That's sarcasm, but yeah.

3. Release the brand new monetization system that will replace the money from lost membership revenue. Goal: Make money and show new players just how expensive the new DCUO will be?!! Again, sarcasm.

Like, I think they should've let the new membership have a month-long honeymoon honestly before the whole OMNIBUS DCUO = ELITE PLAYERS WILDSTAR Update. And then another month before the ALLIES = HELLO MONEY! update.
  20. Major Shenanigans Well-Known Player

To add to this sentiment.
    There is a reason why Time capsules do so well.