How much data does the game use hourly?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Miss Martian, Sep 30, 2021.

1. Miss Martian Well-Known Player

Hello. Hope y'all having a good time.
    I was curious to know how much data the games uses, just that.
    My Internet Service Provider caps me with a lot of data usage restrictions and apparently I've used up 5GBs during 3 days not having downloaded literally anything special, just played DCUO for some hours running through content and not staying in one place.
    I know that's actually a really low amount of data, but that's what my ISP does, and it wasn't like that a few months back.
    So any idea how much we need for an hour of playing? I also don't use any voice chats.
    I appreciate your attention.
  2. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

No one replied to help ya so im bumping your thread.
    I have no clue on the answer, just givin u a bump :)
    • Like x 1
  3. Miss Martian Well-Known Player

I appreciate your kindness and attention. :)
    Probably no one knows...
    • Like x 1
  4. Jafin 10000 Post Club

I did a little digging around the internet to see if I could find an answer. When I Googled how much data MMOs typically use per hour the answer it gave me was that they usually range from 40MB to 300MB an hour. I found a thread in here from 2014, which I had actually answered in, that stated that I had a 40GB monthly limit on my broadband at the time and I never went over it, playing 6-12 hours a day (I was on summer vacation from college at the time which is why I was no-lifing the game). And finally I found a thread on the Gamefaqs forums from 2012 where someone said they called DCUO's/SOE's customer service line and the rep told them the game uses about 40MB an hour.

Hopefully that helps, but there isn't really a definitive answer. All the assets for the game are on your computer/console, so I presume that all the data you're using is really just transferring button inputs to a server and then receiving the response information.
    • Like x 2
  5. Miss Martian Well-Known Player

Absolutely helpful and appreciated Jafin. Thanks a million :)
    • Like x 1
  6. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

BTW, have you checked your network security? 5GB in 3 days with the usage you describe is excessive. It could be that someone is leeching bandwidth from your network (even unintentionally).

Check your WAP and firewall settings.

Also, there is a good chance that your ISP is clocking your usage inaccurately if your router has been in continual usage over a long period of time. it is a good idea to reboot your router and modem once a week or so.

I would check your ISP for feedback online and see if you can find out if they are hitting you for data usage just for having an active internet connection. This is called rounding up and is NOT acceptable. Companies do this with gift cards all the time (service fees for no service and half penny rounding).

Finally, data caps are almost always more costly than unlimited for people who do a lot of online gaming and video streaming. If you are using Netflix, Hulu etc. it can really push you up fast.

Want to get a good look at your usage? Check out this great guide!

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/find-out-whos-eating-your-bandwidth-with-these-tips/
    • Like x 2
  7. The Doctor Time Lord Committed Player

• Like x 2
  8. Miss Martian Well-Known Player

Thank you so much for the thoughtful heads up. I will most definitely look into it.
    • Like x 1
  9. AGGUSTEN Well-Known Player

I spend the internet with my cell phone, I usually ask for 1 GB for 3 days, or how much I have the possibility of 2 GB, if in 3 days it has happened to me that I have run out of internet to play, instead other times, it simply expired My period of time (that is, I would not spend 2 or 1 GB), I would tell you that in 3 days this game will spend 800-900 MB, it also depends on how long you play, sometimes I run out of 2 GB, but I browse the Internet doing other things, but if you spend a lot.

I consider that it spends a lot but not quickly.