How it feels to go premium after being legendary member?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Wallachia, May 17, 2020.

1. Wallachia Devoted Player

As per title says,

I know there was a thread about this months ago, but my POV is different: I want to know what changes in practice. I know there is the money limitation and lack of lair, but what else should I know, aside of that I will keep my currently made characters.

I really miss this game, so I want to play it even without subscription.
  2. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

It's mostly surviving off 2000 dollars (save as much soders), going without base mods, the lack of inventory space (better use bank alts), you basically give up broker use cause you'll never be able to buy/sell and yeah the loss of utility belt if you didn't buy it. And if you didn't buy episodes and it's not open you can't do feats. Honestly though? A lot of players hate free2plays and I understand the sentiment. Imagine paying for a game while others get it for free? Plus unless you're really good already your raid groups will be carrying your Premium butt. I hate it when you wipe because the F2P was too squishy due to broken gear. I know many others will echo this but just buy a Legendary membership for as long as you want to play dude.
  3. Wallachia Devoted Player

That`s the problem: I can`t. I live in Brazil and we don`t have local-specific prices, we pay in dollars, converted to our currency. This means that whatever the subscription costs in USA, it costs about 6 times more for me.
  4. Irvynnge Loyal Player

if you could muster up enough money to buy the lair system & the utility belt outright, it would make going premium a lot smoother.
    • Like x 2
  5. AquiloFury Committed Player

Agreed. I have several premium accounts, the only thing I miss is my lair and my utility belt. As a premium member, your cash cap is 3k now, that is still very limiting though.
    • Like x 1
  6. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

Oh shoot yeah that sucks for Brazilians. I used to see a lot of Brazilians on but I wonder if there'll be less because of the price jump?
    • Like x 1
  7. Dominic Blue Dedicated Player

I
    I don't know why they don't offer the Lair system to buy but I guess it isn't manageable?
  8. Wallachia Devoted Player

That is a great idea. I have some DB cash lingering, as I was trying to get the CR jump token before the price increase forced me to cancel my sub, maybe I can get one of those.
    • Like x 1
  9. Irvynnge Loyal Player

you can buy both the lair system & the utility belt in the marketplace. I think you can only buy them if you're not a member, though? if you try to buy them as legendary, it says, "already granted" or "granted", something like that. also, they're included in the Gear Up pack, are they not? I remember that I got mine by buying Home Turf.
    • Like x 1
  10. Legasei Well-Known Player

Just buy the lair system and utility belt so you can be as productive as the players that have those already. If that’s not p2w, I don’t know what is. Get used to having fewer inventory spaces and 3000 cash spending limit. That’s going to slow your progression down quite a bit. Also you will be deleting lockboxes and other things as such due to inability to open them and lack of inventory space. It can be tough as a premium player. But If you don’t have a cooperative circle of friends to run content with you, then you’re better off as a premium player anyway.
    • Like x 1
  11. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

That and then some but yeah I have friends from there and they haven't been on since the price jump.
  12. L T Devoted Player

If you don't own anything at all, you'll probably miss Lairs and Utility belts most. Some things are just way harder without those. Also inventory space.
    It's actually 3000 now. Still not enough to make any use of the broker, which takes a lot of the game and turns it into praying for really really good luck.

I'd suggest you do the death of superman event dailies and stock up on probiotic-- it sells for more than sodas. In the latest content, sodas drop from dailies, so if you do a lot of the open world stuff you'll likely accumulate a lot of soda fast.
  13. Critical Massacre Committed Player

I like premium because it’s hard to justify to the wife why I have to pay 15 dollars a month for a game but I can spend a little from time to time and its no big deal. You def need to belt and generator but it’s easy to justify spending 20 bucks for a free game. The 3000 limit sucks but I just keep like 6 pieces of gear for sale every time I hit my limit I sell one. I’m not really interested in the broker because I like using the stuff I earn or find, and not depending on others. I buy episode content I like and I don’t if I don’t like it. That means I spend about 30 bucks a year on this game and I can walk away and come back and not be totally screwed because I actually own the stuff I like.
    • Like x 1
  14. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

First off, premium is 3000. No one who has subbed (therefore spent more than 5$ in game) is F2P anymore. Second, F2P and Premiums aren't normally running around in busted gear unless they really don't know how to money manage. It's not a bi-product of being F2P or premium, it's a bi-product of not planning. You can have stacks of soders, Enhancers, Probiotics or whatever to help pay for fixing gear mid raid, and if it's out of raid, each one of the daily missions you cash in is about enough to fill your wallet and fix your gear from whatever the previous day's damage was. Premiums or F2P who complain about not being able to fix gear (especially out of raid) need to plan better. The only time when the cash cap is an issue, is the broker, where it's crippling, but for those cases you need to get better at trading. Exos are currency as long as someone wants to trade, as are Arti cats, Augment cats or rare drop items like OP collections.

As far as the OP's question, my biggest difference is inventory/bank space and the obvious 'exclusive' things like treasure boxes, promethium boxes and access to episodes (right now free though..so good time to try premium). The inventory/bank issue only comes up if you are running multiple sets of gear, saving things (like Nth, or base/collection items) or run a lot of low content as the crap drops in there are way worse than current content. Even the access to end-game gear or augments (without episode purchase) is not game breaking though, it will just keep you out of end game runs (but without the ep...no issue)

If you want to come in as premium, stock up on soders or whatever...invest in the Bottled City Soder as well as it saves you from consuming your stacks you'll need for repair/purchases. If you were open to investing the $15 a month before, buy the episodes as they come out to keep at 'endgame' levels. Spread over 3 or 4 months I'd guess the investment would be the same for the ep as it was for the sub before the price change. Get a friend or leaguemate to help you with selling items of great worth or trade them for items you need from the broker when you get something of value.

BTW. IF you (the OP) are planning on staying premium, a good investment is the 'gear up' bundle. Includes the lair, utility belt and shield weapon. I always suggest that, a 2nd armory, teleporter and the portable workstation as the minimum purchases for this game...when asked. Past that everything else can be done same as member that matters with a little work. I'd say run without that stuff for a bit and see how it goes. I'd expect a summer sale in a month or so...maybe you'll get lucky and get something you need cheaper than today.
    • Like x 2
  15. Wallachia Devoted Player

Thank you all for the answers so far.

I got another question, speaking of which. Can this 3k limit be increased in any ways? I mean, will I be able to buy more money space (escrow or something like that?) or am I stuck with 3k until the devs decide so?
  16. Irvynnge Loyal Player

you'll accrue money as normal, it's just that anything over 3000 is locked. you can buy escrow tokens in the marketplace to unlock access to that money for a limited time.
  17. Brit Loyal Player

It is very challenging to go from being a Legendary player to being a Premium player that spends no money. That is the emphasis.

Being Premium where you can only play in the Event tier content of the newest Episode and that's it, it's boring and redundant and nothing has any challenge because it's all the failure-proof Event content. Being a Premium that makes no purchases at all would really be rough, and pretty unfulfilling as a player.

Being a Premium who spends some money regularly is totally fine. Buy the newest Episode when it comes out. Buy the Lair Access and Utility Belt. Buy a bit of extra inventory here and there. Maybe spend a little money on Stabilizers or Seals. If you make a few basic purchases, and then regularly make the odd additional indulgence, being Premium works great.

In fact, being a Premium who spends $15 per month will probably get you more of what you actually care about than what you would get if you spent that same $15 on the Legendary Sub and then never made any extra Marketplace transactions.

The game seems built with the idea that they want players to Sub AND make extra purchases, not either/or. The sub gives you access to things like the cash cap to bring you in, but your $15 will buy a lot more Stabilizers or Replay Badges a la carte than what you get as a part of your sub.
    • Like x 1
  18. L T Devoted Player

You can buy tokens on the marketplace. They are generally very poor values-- all are pretty completely useless except the unlimited one, which costs 500. Sometimes those go on sale and they become moderately good values if you've somehow accumulated cash to spend on the broker.
  19. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

There are a few escrow unlock purchases you can make. The 1 that gives you a set amount of money (I think 25K) seems totally worthless. Unless you are only concerned with being able to purchase 1 or 2 particular things which are over the 3 K limit, avoid this one completely. The unlimited has some value as you will get access to all your money for 7 days, but you'd better have a lot already there. You won't be able to do a lot of broker hustle in 7 days to build up the cash, to then spend the cash you've built. You may want to buy soder enhancers or something, but you are better off just trading for built soders and not unlocking if that's your goal.

Honestly at 1/3 a 1 month sub's price, if you need access to your cash that bad, save up and buy the sub for 1 month. You'll get the cash, the monthly grants(DBC/MPC and Replays), the extra daily stabilizer frags and 1 month to try and blow through current content, open treasure boxes, promethium boxes, etc... I had a friend in game that was premium and every once in a while he'd buy replays and an escrow unlock to get some things. Once those purchases landed on the same day. I asked him what those cost together...he started saying "about fifteen...."...then just swore a few times and went quiet.

But yeah, Brit has it right. If you are going premium and have spent nothing on extras and don't expect to spend anything else, it will be a lackluster experience that you will probably tire of quick. Event only runs are a drag.
  20. Wallachia Devoted Player

Oh, but I plan on buying all the stuff. The thing is that, due to the subscription being six times more expensive, I just can't pay consistently.

I plan on following you guys' advices and get a lair + utility belt. From that on I want to get all powers, then, one by one, the episodes. The thing is that it will be a slow build, instead of paying monthly.
    • Like x 1