How is a guy with only PVE gear able to beat me, someone with PVP gear?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MidnightStranger, Aug 20, 2017.

1. MidnightStranger New Player

I was just chilling around in Metropolis just having some parkour fun with my superspeed movement. After a while, I stopped by on top of a huge *** building to chat with some of my buds until a flight player came out of nowhere and attacked me. I was pretty confident that I'd win because I had well over a hundred SP, lots of weapon mastery combos, and the highest tier PVP gear (And I pretty much avoided PVP'ing until I got both), but he still dealt some nasty damage to me--that isn't to say I wasn't able to do the same to him, though. I ultimately lost to the guy and he literally had only an inch of his life left.

I respawned and went back to the building for a rematch. I nearly lost yet again - with the guy I was fighting still being somewhat a glass cannon of sorts - jumped off the building and stealthed when I landed. He followed me down and, out of curiosity, I inspected his gear and was surprised to find out that he was only wearing pretty powerful PVE gear (Impressive, and pretty amazing how he was still a bit tough without PVP gear).

So, can anyone help me out here? Any tips on how to PVP better or something like that?
  2. LighTning Emperor Well-Known Player

It's you. If you die to someone in pve gear and you have the highest PvP...then you are to blame. Just telling the truth. Unless he mixed both Pve op pieces with PVP gear.
    • Like x 2
  3. krytine Loyal Player

There has been an issue for sometime with pvp and pve geared fights. Normally pve has been able to defeat pvp gear the devs have talked about it and are slowly addressing it but it still seems as if more work is needed
    • Like x 1
  4. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

As LighTning said, maybe it was just you not being as good at PvPing

PvP gear may give you an edge, but it doesn't make you unbeatable, same as someone wearing all Tank-gear can still out-DPS a full DiPS-ticked player
    • Like x 1
  5. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Are you serious???

It has been a complain for quite some time now..... PvE gear has been better then PvP gear since.... T7 at least.

Are you saying you never noticed how PvE gear has more stats then PvP gear??
    Sure.... you have less toughness wearing PvE gear...... but you get a LOT more HPs..... Might..... Prec... etc.

People have been using PvE gear in the PvP Open World for quite some time now.
    o_Oo_Oo_O
    • Like x 1
  6. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

You said the magic word.

Glass Cannon..... sort of. ;)

T8 PvE gear pretty much turns your character into a Glass Cannon in PvP Open World.... sort of.

You get a lot more Might... DPS.... making you do more damage.
    But also...... even if you don't have as much toughness...... you have a lot more HPs.... helping you survive through the fight.
    Shields are pretty strong right now helping with survival too.

Any tips??? Use the best gear you got. If your PvE gear is better then your PvP gear..... use that.

As for your 100SP and WM combos..... Haven't used WM since the GU73..... so not sure how powerfull WM is...... but people seems to suggest that WM is nowhere near as powerfull as using your powers only.

So that might be another reason.
  7. MastaMind Dedicated Player

I think people forgot the one main thing. What power was he using and what power were you using? Because if you are Quantum going against an Earth player. You will get slapped down every single time. However, as stated above a lot of it could just be you yourself. I have seen a guy with PVP gear stand completely still for 20 solid seconds and he was able to come out and slap down 2 guys with completely maxed PVE gear. As you said you have 100 SP. Maybe he had 300. I know I used to have a PVP build that was spec'd to prioritize toughness (How much damage you take from players) and precision/health/etc. Did you just have the gear or do you have a PVP build? It could also be that after you ran away like a sissy that he re-activated his PVE build and was done with you since he clearly was the victor. I know I wouldn't bother with someone who ran off. A ton of factors that could have played a part in it. If you didn't expect him before the match there is no way to know.
  8. Dreadshow Well-Known Player

9. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

I was under the impression.... and this is just from talking with other players and things i have read here on the forums since I don't PvP ever.. But seriously it was my understanding that outside of Arena and other types of PvP actual missions if you simply challenge some one on the streets of Gotham, Metropolis or where ever (CC or so on) PvE gear could be and is stronger?

Again I have no in game experience to back that up but I've seen threads here where PvPer complained about that. Now i am not sure how it works because again I do not PvP but maybe .. JUST MAYBE.... if the PvP community actually used the entire PHASE they can go to that is designed for PvP instead of hanging out in PvE areas and at times being total PITA trying to lure other players into a battle .. would THAT fix the problem? Seems to me if your in the PvP phase that pvP armor would be more effective? Sorry not really that upset with PvPers but I do just love TEAMING with one on an alert or raid and we both arrive at an objective and try to click and instead of completing the objective i get a notice saying " You have attempted to challenge so and so to a duel.. That feature is not available at this time" OMG if your in a PvE mission can to get marks abd up your CR can you PLEASE take the time to go shut off your PvP flag?
  10. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

In the Open World there are PvE missions even in the PvP Open World.

So the Devs can't do like in Arena and dissable PvE gear in the PvP Open World.

So in the PvP Open World.... it is just the best gear that matters.

In the PvP Open World... anything goes... so no need for special flags or anything.

If someone wants to do PvE missions and not be bothered by enemy players... they can go do those missions in the PvE Open World.

Using the Phase Shifter is very easy to do. ;) ;)
    • Like x 1
  11. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

Yeah BUT here is the thing..... When was the last time you were in the PVP Phase? We have had a couple small glitches where the immediate solution, until the devs could fix it, was "GO TO PVP There are more of them in there to attack"

Case in point:

Gotham Under Siege when it first arrived. You had to defeat 3 Harpy Couriers to get to the final battle with the Mesmerizer. Well the Harpies were not spawning.. Quick fix from the devs until they could get in and correct the glitch/bug was.. Use the phase Shifter and go to PVP"

Metropolis Battle Ground ... At one point the Orange you on our side mission developed a bug/glitch and the Mist affected Green lanterns were either spawning anywhere they liked or not at all. problem was they were no where to be found in the shaded area they were supposed to be in. Once again the temp solution was "Lots of them in the right place in the PvP zone .. use the Phase Shifter"

Now initially i was worried that I'd show up in that phase with my "hey over here ATTACK me' flag flying and spend hours trying to actually complete the PvE mission between dealing with a pile of players wanting to duel. There is NO ONE in that zone! At this point I have lost track of how many times i have gone there to find and defeat whatever .. and i have never seen a sole. Kind of makes you wonder why they even keep the thing around? It has to take up server space.

ANYWAY.. thanks Magneto I had no clue that the PvP Open world was like that. of course once again it raises a question.... If true, which it is, then the ONLY difference between pve open World and PvP open world is your PvP TAG appears. Now since you can turn that ON in the PvE phase .. why do we need a special PvP zone again? LOL

Now its been suggested before and I know it will never happen because it would mean less $$$ coming in ... But why not just lose the PvP gear completely and let everyone battle in PvE gear?

REASONS WHY NOT:

Lose the ability to sell as man as 2 (or more) additional armories to the player that has full sets of Pve Support and DPS gear and full sets of Support and DPS PVP gear.

Not exactly sure how PvP missions work but i am guessing ,..... just like Pve so if you want to do a 4 man or 8 man more than once ..you need to BUY replays

and so on.

Nice idea and would make things simpler BUT will more than likely NEVER happen
  12. loupblanc Dedicated Player

You do realise that the simplest answer is just to queue up for pvp? You do realise also that current pvp meta has the least amount of skill ever?

Some powersets are just so.... o_O Atomic Tanks full Pvp 101 on an objective node. Crazy. Mental Trolls.... crazy. Try hards abusing either 5 tap rifle combo, or starting the pvp match already in Wolf form or Gorilla form... o_O

So just stick to Pve for the moment.
  13. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

You're welcome. ;) ;)

As a rule of thumb... I always play in the PvP Open World.
    There are exceptions..... but once I leave the Brainiac ship.... I give access to one of my Lair to a new character and start playing on the PvP server as soon as level 3.... although I think it is level 4 now with the new system. ;)

So if there was a glitch in PvE only.... odds are I never noticed because I usually am on the PVP server.

Although for Gotham Under Siege even in PvP... lot's of NPCs did not want to spawn. Not just the Harpies.... but quest givers as well. The only fix I knew was to leave the map..... and come back..... and then finally the NPCs would spawn.

For the orange myst and the GL in Metropolis Battlezone..... there was the same glytch in PvP.
    Pretty sure I have a video with this glitch. So you took your chances either way.

Yes... the PvP zones are pretty deserted since people do not have access to PvP at character creation.

Usually the PvP Open World is more populated when a new DLC gets released.
    But usually just the maps of the new DLCs.
    Although there is still a few people in Gotham Undersiege and the Typhon Monster map even thought these are older DLCs.

Why have a PvP Open World??

Yes people can put up a Flag in PvE...... but most don't.
    And you cannot turn on the flag of someone else.
    So if they try to cheeze you off..... like griefing you...... you cannot raise THIER PvP flag.
    So they will sometimes try to grief you safe hiding behind the fact that you cannot do anything about it.

In the PvP Open World....... if some DB tries to heal the Obot while you're fighting it.... or any other NPC.
    You can beat the snot of that DB while you also defeat the Obot.

That is the most obvious example why the PvP Open World is needed. ;) ;)

Why 2 types of gear?? PvP and PvE??
    To keep you busy and make it so you have more stuff to grind for.
    More grind to buy multiple sets of gear.
    And even more grind to make Mods for all that gear.

Also probably makes it easier to balance.
    You can balance PvP gear for PvP...
    and PvE gear for PvE.

So if they decide they need to add more HPs to PvP gear... they can do so without affecting PvE gear.

Look at how sometimes we get nerfs in our powers and abilities because the PvP players complain that it is not balanced for PvP.
    So with 2 types of gear they can balance the PvP gear for Arena... and not affect PvE gear.

But sure.... needing an Extra Armory for your PvP gear surely is a consideration. ;)
    • Like x 1
  14. Shifty Committed Player

I've skimmed thru these comments, and man I don't think half of you know what you're talking about loool. Since the revamp PvE gear was rendered pretty useless against a full PvP geared player, no matter what your cr is for pve. If you're in pve fighting someone in PvP, they're gonna hit you like a truck while you hit like a fly. Yes pve gear has been a big issue in the time before the revamp, but not since it dropped. To the OP, I think you're not doing something right.... You honestly shouldn't be losing to a pve geared player in open world lol
    • Like x 2
  15. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

o_O
    PvE gear has been disabled in PvP Arena......
    but still works fine in Open World... even in PvP Open World.

Heck.... some of your PvP gear is actually disabled in PvP Open World.... like your Trinket.... PvP Utility belt if you still have one.... and the PvP soda as well.
    Even made a video about it a few eons ago. ;)

In PvP Arena.... they give you a minimum amount of Stats even if you have 0 PvP gear. The equivalent as if you were wearing the lowest PvP gear if I remember correctly.

I guess you weren't around when people would complain that people with NO PvP gear would beat the snot of people with TOP PvP gear in Arena??

And this is not the first time that the subject of PvE gear being better then PvP gear has been raised.
    There was plenty of complaint on these very Forums.

Maybe you should visit the the Battle of Legends Forum once in a while.... you might see people posting about the "Open World madness". ;)
    • Like x 1
  16. Shifty Committed Player

Who tf is talking about arenas??? Lmfao, this discussion is about open world, you brought up something completely irrelevant. I'm an actual pvper, so ofc I know the caps and **** in arenas, as well as people without PvP gear being buffed to the minimum in arenas.

This topic is about OPEN WORLD, get it?? Not arenas, OPEN WORLD. and clearly you don't know about it, cause as I said, since revamp, pve gear has been useless against PvP gear in OPEN WORLD. If you are losing to pve geared players in OPEN WORLD, then I'll put it bluntly, you're bad.

Just saying, if you're going to reply with more irrelevant crap, don't expect a response next time.
    • Like x 1
  17. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

Probably why I said ;
    "but still works fine in OPEN WORLD.... even the PvP OPEN WORLD"

PvE gear is only disabled in ARENA.... hence why the mention of ARENA.

Don't bother replying. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    • Like x 1
  18. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

The Revamp made PvE gear worthless in any form of PvP....duels, arenas, open world, if you lose to someone in pve gear, you may need to practice. Not trying to be rude, just saying.

One of the few good things that came out of the revamp PvP wise
  19. Multiverse 15000 Post Club

And what if you defeat someone wearing PvP gear while you wear your PvE gear??
    What does that make you?? a God?? ;)

How did the Revamp make PvE gear worthless for PvP in Open World?? seems to work as well as before.

In Arena... sure... PvE gear has been dissabled in Arena for some time....
    but how was it made worthless in PvP Open World??
    Heck the PvP trinket and Cola are actually worthless in the PvP Open World.

The only mention of PvP in the notes I see is this;

PvP
    • Most normal stat vectors (such as Skill Points, Mods, etc.) will now work in PvP, but will be scaled to PvP item levels. Note that this is different from the hard-clamping on Live.

Just tried with my Galactus.... did not see much difference.
    Sure I have more toughness with PvP gear...... but more HPs.... Might..... Prec..... with PvE gear.
    And I don't even have TOP PvE gear.... but I don't have TOP PvP gear either. ;) ;)

1v1 either gear worked fine. :confused:
    • Like x 1
  20. Fatal Star 10000 Post Club

Are you online right now? I can get my PvP gear and we can meet in open world so you can visually see the difference it makes.

Edit: we're not saying pve gear is disabled in open world, were saying pvp gear greatly outclasses it.