How do you solve a problem like a non-skilled high-CR player?

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by sirzap, Apr 11, 2018.

1. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

This might be sort of in the vein of this thread....

I was running SSr a couple of night ago and pugged into a group. There was a 2nd tank in there with a higher CR than me and I asked if them wanted to DPS instead as they could probably do better than I could at that. They stated they didn't have any DPS gear. While they were a decent tank, it kinda made me sad and a bit frustrated that at this stage of the game a player isn't equipped/able to play both roles. I know there are other players like this person and I am not commenting about HOW they played their role or about them as a person, just a bit irritated that players, at the end game level are not preparing themselves to jump between roles in instances where it would be useful/helpful because they do not have the neccessary gear.....arg.....
    • Like x 3
  2. velvetsanity Loyal Player

But...but...I just wanna fix your booboos! I don’t wanna have to hurt anyone!

:D

Seriously, though...if I had more time available to play, I might *consider* setting up a second set of gear for DPS (maybe even one to work on getting the PvP feats.) As it is, I don’t even have enough time to do a *fraction* of what I want to in game. That pesky RL is always in the way.
    • Like x 2
  3. |The 3rror Committed Player

Preach! :D ask a dps can they troll/tank/heal and will say they cant i be wanting ppl learn both roles incase an important role out but whats more important is this community pickups/communication :(
  4. Wallachia Devoted Player

Two options:

1. Teach them
    2. Put them on ignore.
    • Like x 3
  5. Miss Adora Loyal Player

1 call them noob
    2 rage quit
  6. Chaos Evolution Devoted Player

there should be a feat hunter guide....

Unless there is one already? (And I don't mean the in game feat searcher the whole text on a lot of those feats takes forever to slide across my screen it's annoying)
    • Like x 2
  7. KlausKilowatt Committed Player

Their are a few goods ones online. I believe that I used to use a mix of dcuobloguide and mmorpg back in the day. Not 100% sure though. I will check and repost :)

I'm honestly over the feat system in this game, it's outdated and never made the most sense. They used to be called "Skill Points", but that was always a misnomer as little/if any skill was required to get them.

IMHO feats should award styles, tites, and other cosmetics only. Stat points should be earned via a graduated experience scale like most other games do. Basic leveling would still stop at 30 however the experience meter would keep ticking away and every level after 30 would result in a stat point. Stat points would be awarded for time played/content run, not completing a bunch of menial and grindy tasks (the majority of which have nothing to do with player skill at all).

Don't get me wrong, I used to do nothing but feat hunt. I started playing in 2011 but took a break almost two years ago, at the time with 249 skill points. Coming back recently I'm somewhere in the 260ish SP area, I just don't have the time to hunt'em anymore. Not only that but a good majority of the feats require having a Unicorn of a PUG group or a large league to run with, which most folks do not have.

IMHO an experience based system would be much better than the current system and a fair shake to all players, those in large leagues, small leagues, or no leagues at all.

But that's just my 2.5c :)
    • Like x 4
  8. RedDeth1998 New Player

All of this. It's okay to not understand how to fill your role or use your powers as this game can be a little complicated and overwhelming to someone who is new but it doesn't excuse being nasty towards them for it. I barely knew how to be a great fire DPS until last year and I've been playing this game since like 2014. I had to look up videos and have someone teach me how to do that and to get my CR up.
    • Like x 1
  9. Roocck Committed Player

I am one of those players, I have a Water that only DPS, A munitions that only DPS and an Ice toon that only Tank (lost interest on playing certain roles since revamp)(if AM was still in the game I wouldn't of mind playing all roles). The amount of material that it requires to mod gear is insane, the amount of replay badges or time that you need to get all of your end game gear requires a part time job or wait a year. In my opinion, not worth trying to have the latest end content gear with the latest end content mods with all the farming and money that you need to do so. You'll spend 2-3 hours farming for material and 30 min of actual playtime. LMAO
  10. Tilz Loyal Player

It's possible that this tank was a 2nd char or a 3rd one.
    My 2nd char is also "only" tank. Simply because I don't have time to get elite gear for my main role (heal) + normal gear for the dps side of my heal and then do the same on my tank. Oh and i'm not replaying like crazy.
    I used to play both roles on at least 2 chars, but i simply don't have the time (and I hate earth dps!).
  11. Here2Help Devoted Player

All games have players of different skill levels. This game is no different. The problem is that you can become high CR without needing skill and instead it's just a simple, easy and usually quick grind. This means that CR isn't representative of skill; a lesson I learnt very early on in my DCUO career :p Don't ever expect someone to be good just because of their CR, instead always look at other traits and qualities. Maybe things like how long they've been playing the game, if they can communicate well and listen to others etc. If you literally just want to solve having non-skilled players at high CR though, then you make high CR harder to get. Simple :)
  12. Exodusblack Well-Known Player

Industry standard. :)
  13. OnlyNomad The One Above All

Unfortunately, this type of mentality leads to more toxicity.

If you have the time luxury to acquire two sets of gear at end game, that's fantastic!.. but expecting EVERYONE else to fall in-between those lines is ridiculous, arrogant and borderline childish. Some of us have kid(s), a profession, job(s), businesse(s), or maybe even a social life we want to maintain.

I have been playing since 2012 and there's been instances where it was possible for me to acquire two sets of gear, sometimes it wasn't because of time constraints or because I simply didn't feel like it. Everyone has a different level of "dedication" in the game and we should never expect others to follow our protocol.

Bottom line, if someone feels like running one role that's their choice and theirs only. If you don't feel like running with such individuals, it's completely up to you. I certainly won't condone looking down on people because of that.
    • Like x 2
  14. Tilz Loyal Player

:eek:
    • Like x 1
  15. JKwak Well-Known Player

my 2 cents: the players who complain the most are mostly the players who are actually the bad players,
    tank in dps gear blames always the healer, troller who never restore power blame always the tank, the healer or both,
    and healer who barely use any heal power blame the dps dieing to fast

everytime i see a thread like this, i wonder if i allready played an alert or raid with you and who you blamed for sucking at your role

p.s.
    last time the troll blamed me because he was unabel to restor power i just told him soder has a cooldown time.... i think he got the hint
    • Like x 1
  16. sirzap Well-Known Player

the very reason i created the thread. blaming, projecting, unrealistic expectations, complaining and what not....

If you read the question/title... i'm implying is that to solve the problem.... oh! the words are already there "solve a problem" :D
  17. velvetsanity Loyal Player

“Guys, this is an elite 8nstsnce. We need to coordinate to get through it.”

“I’m trying to keep you guys healed, but Ambush Bug keeps getting in my face asking me something about missing comics!” :D
  18. JKwak Well-Known Player

A fault confessed is half redressed.:D
  19. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

I find most players will argue they're always right no matter what. doesn't matter the argument or situation, doesn't matter if they're blatantly wrong.

player a: when are we going to get captain america in game?

player b: captain america is a marvel comics character. this is dc comics game.

player a: BULL!@#$ing !@#$ I saw Captan America in a comic with Batman! YOU THE !@#$#$ WHOS WRONG NOT ME!!

player b: that was a special event crossover. Its only happened a couple of times in the comics and took a lot of....

player a: !@#$ you!! YOURE WRONG IM RIGHT !@#$ YOU !@#$ YOU @#$ YOU.

This applies to just about every situation I've been in in game.

You'll very rarely hear someone admit they made a mistake. Its usually only among close knit players and even then hat stubbornness is going to surface up. I remember back when Throne Elite was top tier content. After its major exploits got fixed it became a challenging raid to get through. I cleared it several times with a group that took time, effort and communication. Going into it with a group of friends I explained how we did it and all I heard was "no.no.no youre wrong this is how we do it" and hours later were still trying to take down Ares the first boss and hours later everyone is still unwilling to do things the way I knew would lead to success.

These guys weren't noobs or power leveled too fast. They were top tier game vets.

Theres nothing in game you cant accomplish if you put your mind to it. If you find yourself with players that are going to be counterproductive to your goals...move on.
  20. |The 3rror Committed Player

well high cr/sp but bad at they role just do what i do add to ignore :) get the bad players out the way and only deal with the good players the players that actually heals you when you need and they know how to keep you alive when in the most dangerous situation or troll keep you powered up on point with stuns and debuffs or tank can keep aggro and not die<- on top of all that if they do that and do pickups here’s a name these players call us for years “ elitist” :p