How do I...

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Doctor Anomaly, May 23, 2019.

1. Doctor Anomaly Level 30

give a new alt of mine the name from an alt I wish to delete? Say I have "Hercules" or some such and want to delete him and do a name change from another alt to that... I know I'd have to get a name change token via MP but I have tried this in the past and couldn't get it to work, so I gave up. I had someone hit me up on an alt of mine asking to buy the name... the answer was no, but it got me thinking about a name swap for one of ... me... in game. Any advice would be appreciated.
  2. Rainnifer Committed Player

Would it work if you deleted the alt and then tried the name change token? I think deleting the alt should free up the name to use. You may have to be quick before someone else takes it. (if it's common)
  3. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Delete the alt.
    Sign into the other character.
    Use the name change token.

If the name is still unavailable, that means the name is blocked by DC or someone took it before you used the name change token.
  4. Doctor Anomaly Level 30

I've done that before on a different alt. The one at the time was "back alley"... an homage to a CoH dev. I deleted him and tried to name change an alt with him but it was blocked. I think I even tried to reclaim the original alt and got blocked for invalid name to bring him back. Maybe the name was blocked up front, but I would think if it was I couldn't have named him that to begin with. I am leery of trying again to lose this particular name all together... sigh. Please let me know if anyone has successfully done this in the past? Thanks again for the replies.
  5. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Yeah: before you waste money on a Token, delete the first character, create a 'test' character (no, not on the Test Server), see if they can use the deleted name, if it works, delete the 'test' and then get and use the Token, if it doesn't work, petition to find out why the name is no longer acceptable (sometimes they retroactively block names or phrases: characters made before the block are okay, butt characters created after aren't)
  6. Mighty Hyperion Committed Player

You have to delete the alt from your character list before then using a name change token to change it in game
  7. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

That's it...i'm creating a toon named 'Butt Character" right now....

Reinheld
    • Like x 1
  8. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Don't forget to make them look like me, ask Lorax, he knows everything about me so should be able to help with that
  9. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

So basically just pick a random style for each slot. Colors should be based on whatever is to your immediate right. Delete any and all gear that drops in your inventory. Don't even open it. Progression is evil. Constantly ask what something is even when you're 110% sure you are never going to use it. Gifts are bad.
  10. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Nah....I've already got like 7 of those characters. On any storage toons I have I never lock styles so they are constantly changing to whatever garbage pieces I pick up. Colors were pretty random, but never change.

Or were those instructions on how to look like DarkVisor?

Reinheld
  11. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

12. TheOracle Active Player

Reserve name on Account 1, Type name on Account 2, Delete name from Account 1, and Hit create on Account 2. That way you dam near guarantee you get the name
  13. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

That would require having two accounts...
    • Like x 1
  14. Reinheld Devil's Advocate

Or have someone you trust on a party chat and have them be the 2nd account. Sign in-sign out process could add a min or 2 in between the switch...unless you are saying the 2nd account is a PC account you could be simultaneously signed in on...again, as DV pointed out, requires setup of a 2nd account.

Still wont help if the name has been added to a prohibited list though. Only 1 way to find that out, and by the time you realize it, it's too late.

Reinheld
  15. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

send in a ticket with what you want to do. see if one of the devs will help you.

years ago when i created my first batch of characters i used all lower case letters for my healers name. after a few months i wanted to change the first letter of her name to upper case but i couldn't as the name was alrady taken (by me, didnt matter if the first letter was upper or lower case). wrote in a ticket and a dev met me in game, took my name change token and gave me the name with the upper case first letter.

this was a good six years ago, maybe even a little longer. who knows if they have people to do this or if anyone would take a few minutes to help you or if they'd even care anymore but its worth a shot over the potential frustration of wasting ten bucks and your characters name.
    • Like x 1