How do I type and use voice when playing on xbox

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Mystere, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Mystere Well-Known Player

Thought I would play on Xbox some but rarely use Xbox. How do I type or use voice? What do I need for this?
  2. Phill Committed Player

Go to settings and see it your voice/push to talk is on and then go to key bindings.
  3. Mystere Well-Known Player

I presume I need a Bluetooth headset or something.
  4. BoatsNHossa Level 30

use the mic that came with your xbox?
  5. Harlequin Devoted Player

Like Boats mentioned, you need a XB1 headset to use voice. Your console should have come with a simple mono headset that attaches to your controller. There are wireless and/or stereo models available starting around $25 US at various retailers or your favorite online source.

I was shopping for a replacement yesterday and saw models priced around $300 US! I'd divorce myself if I spent that on a pair of glorified headphones...
    • Like x 2
  6. Mystere Well-Known Player

What about for typing - what do you guys use?
  7. Harlequin Devoted Player

You can use any usb keyboard or buy a chatpad that plugs into your controller.
  8. OmniDevil Well-Known Player

I might have to agree with that. I spent $150 on mine, but I also use them for more than just my Xbox, so I saw it as more of an investment. $300, however, is a bit too much for just Xbox gaming...
  9. AverageJoe Dedicated Player

you can press that button usually in the select button on many controllers. And it will pop up. You can press x to toggle to certion chat format's like Shout, Say, etc...
  10. it_was_Friday Dedicated Player

I am on PS3, so I can't comment on particulars, but in regards to texting, I use a chatpad. I got it specifically for this game, and unknowingly stumbled upon lots of cool shortcuts.

These should work with an XBox textpad or USB keyboard, too. PC players are probably well versed in this, already.

Emoting can be done by typing "/(action)" rather than just the emote menu. Try "/sleep", which I believe is not on the standard emote menu. There are other emotes to discover. This feature is pretty well known by most people already.

Hotkeys available to open your menu directly to a specific tab exist. I don't remember all of them right now. Just hitting the key on the keyboard or chatpad will open that menu. "I" for Inventory, "J" for Journal, "Y" for On Duty, "M" for Map, "O" for League Management... and a few others. The hotkeys have saved me a lot of trouble navigating the start menu. On PS3, it is a start menu tabbed through with L2 and R2, but it works laggy and if trying to quickly reference or do something (like in an instance, or even in combat), the hotkey features are very valuable.

That being said, it is important to note that the chatpad is sometimes difficult to interface with. Some menus, type boxes, etc. have different ways of interfacing the chatpad. Sometimes you have to hit "X" on the PS3 to get the text entry window to recognize input from the chatpad. For text chat, it is simply press "enter" on the chatpad to activate, type text, hit "enter" again - that also deactivates the text box menu placing you directly back to gameplay. (No need to back out of text box menu.)

I find my chatpad is for skilled thumbs only. If you have large hands or a hard time with text entry on a small pad, then I would say a USB keyboard is better. However, I like the convenience of the chatpad attached to my controller, always available in thumb's reach.

AUDIO
    Fully enclosed headsets for chat and game sound are the way to go. Turtle Beach... but any good brand is fine. You will want them for farming, for listening for nodes.

NOTE
    Apparently if you join a League, you lose proximity chat feature, as it is replaced by League chat channel.
  11. xoHLxDPSox Steadfast Player

naw there wasnt 1, they didnt give a mic with xb1 lol