How avoid most harassment in the forums - A Guide

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by N4TURALKILLER, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Dirty Fred New Player

Totally agree with this guy;)!
  2. General Zod 10000 Post Club

Booo
  3. N4TURALKILLER New Player

Fixed
  4. Willydon305 Well-Known Player

5. Tesseract Prime Dedicated Player

From where?

There's your problem!

In proper English, it's been around for a very long time (although still quite a contentious issue) and evidence says it is perfectly correct.

He, She or They (Oxford Dictionaries Website)

Thanks for the vids comment!
  6. farm3rb0b Committed Player

Best quote update ever. Just sayin'.... Especially since I've never even heard of the Chicago Manual of Style. :|
  7. Joybird Committed Player

Oxford? Tsk. England is that way -------------> These're the 'merican forums here, bub.

The CMOS is the most widely used text for publishers in North America (including Canada, though they keep their own spellings). There are a few others in use, including the MLA, which is used in academic contexts. However, Chicago's the standard one.

Style standards and grammatical rules have to come from somewhere. There is no grammar God, and the U.S. has no official language. We certainly don't accept the authority of the English, with their silly hats and crappier food. Rather, they come from consensus among publishers based on their commonly used style guides. Chicago is the most commonly used one (btw, the others are even stricter on the neutral pronoun issue).

If we're going to help these youngin's with their grammar, we'll need to pick our source of authority. Oxford lost its authority in 1776. I suggest Chicago. It says that pronouns should agree in number. However, I'm open to other suggestions.
  8. BigAl Devoted Player

17. Derail a thread to express your own opinions on something completely off topic.
    • Like x 3
  9. Itazuki New Player

Forum hate / harassment is inevitable. There's no way everyone will agree with anything you say. Some may not agree, nor disagree because they have no knowledge on the topic. They may still reply negatively to your suggestions and/or comments just because they can.

I say, post your opinions on any topic you feel you need to in a reasonable and logical manner. If you were wrong or right doesn't matter, someone will correct you if they think you were wrong. Just express your views, if people agree or disagree is completely out of your control. So why worry about it?

Most importantly... Remember that this is a video game forum. Don't let it get to you. :)
    • Like x 2
  10. MalconTent New Player

I'm all for QQing on the forums. Better than having people QQ in the game. Plus, some people like to be harassed. Makes them feel like they matter, especially if they know they don't. To be perfectly honest, QQers gonna QQ, so why QQ about QQers QQing in a QQ thread? Sounds like something I need to QQ about. Let me just start a new thread...
  11. N4TURALKILLER New Player

Good one!
  12. Biologie New Player

Don't submit a post without going through spell-check. Tend to the words with squiggly red lines under them first. I know, its Obsessive-Compulsive, but it should be a habit everyone should get into when typing.