Hot Lava: PVP Race Maps

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Harlequin_Nox, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Harlequin_Nox Committed Player

I'm not a huge PVP person, so if something like this already exists, forgive me, but I haven't seen it.

The idea is simple: The RL children's game of Hot Lava meets DCUO Races in PVP (1 vs 1). You queue up against an opponent with the same movement type as you to compete in a Race. Straying too far outside of the ring markers results in a one-hit Defeat. A Defeat deducts points from your total. The first player to complete the race wins, or the player with the most points (fewest Defeats) when the instance times out wins.

So, for Flyers, let's say the Race map is one filled with acid fog. The safe spot is marked out by the race markers (rings/hoops). If you go too far into the fog, you die (Defeat) and must respawn to try again (and your opponent has the advantage of being closer to the end of the race). You can also be knocked away by your opponent into the fog or be hit by an obstacle and pushed into the fog along the way. The player with the fewest deaths wins (or if one of you completes the race first). For Speedsters and Acrobats, this could be literal hot lava or some other ground-based insta-death environmental obstacle.

I think this would be 3 new PVP maps (1 for each movement) for Arenas & Legends.

I'd like to hear the community's thoughts, suggestions & questions on this idea, please. :)
    • Like x 15
  2. Craven Green Loyal Player

I really like this idea +1
  3. Deranya Dedicated Player

I'd spend way too much time on that, but yes please!!! xD
  4. Harlequin_Nox Committed Player

Thinking I should link this back to the Black Waters thread where it originated (the idea, any way) from, just for a point of reference.
  5. Cara EL Well-Known Player

You may have started something to improve PVP to make them like mini games rather then straight PVP... I think in a sense people might stop complaining about PVP if everyone was equal and your skills can only earn your victory. Not just lava game mode but more ideas such as Heroes vs Villains was meant to be. For example, villains are trying to rob a bank and heroes have to stop them from stealing money. This is just typical game mode I'm sure the DC Community can come up with more game modes :p
    • Like x 1
  6. Harlequin_Nox Committed Player

Yep - they certainly can. :p Though what I was trying to do here was to come up with something new, and we currently only have 3 PVP modes (to my knowledge): King of the Mountain (hold key points), Death Match (straight killing each other), and Capture the Flag (get object from Point A to Point B). No one else has tried to come up with any new PVP game modes, so figured I'd give this a shot. :)
  7. Harlequin_Nox Committed Player

It seems that I posted this at a bad time for forum activity. That being said (and now being a better time), does anyone else have any other thoughts on this idea?

EDIT: Please remember to up-vote the original post if you'd like to see this, so hopefully the Devs can see it. Also, please comment to keep the thread up. Thanks. :)
  8. MentalKayse New Player

Isn't that what "diamond heist" is? An open world PvP cops n robbers?
    • Like x 1
  9. Gassius_Spray Loyal Player

Anything to diversify PvP. Pretty cool idea.
    • Like x 1
  10. The Doctor Loyal Player

I would probably do nothing but this race over and over and over again if it existed. Great idea.
  11. Cara EL Well-Known Player

If you think diamond heist is fun it really isn't very few players even know what this event is until they get marks randomly by standing in Diamond Heist area :p
    • Like x 1
  12. Harlequin_Nox Committed Player

I'm confused; weren't you saying in your earlier post that this idea was something the community could come up with on their own, but you felt we needed to get back to events like Diamond Heist where it was Heroes trying to do things like stopping Villains from committing an armed robbery? o_O
  13. Cara EL Well-Known Player

You
  14. Harlequin_Nox Committed Player

The idea for instances that are basically designed around instances came up in another thread. I thought these would be a great sort of map for just such an idea. Posted it there, but wanted to add it here, too.

How about Hot Lava Vehicle Race Maps? ^_^ Could be fun! :)
  15. The dark knight New Player

PVP plus Races? I'm in!

It's in detail what I suggested in rough as competitive races in an old thread. (Competitive races in future DLCs)
    You might also like the thought of relay races in this thread?
    • Like x 1
  16. Minnion Devoted Player

Nice.

I too wouldn't mind some PvP themed scenarios like this...
    • Like x 1
  17. Harlequin_Nox Committed Player

Has it really been two years since I posted this?

Now, I do still think this would be fun, but with all of the Legends content this would be even more of a blast.

*nod self* Mepps - make it happen! (please?) :)
  18. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

Remove or severely limit the ability to attack other players : it's a race and that should remain the focus, and if you can just fight it out it'll turn into a safehouse map where people just fight for 10 straight minutes instead of doing objectives. Maybe a situation like Wipeout, where X amount of checkpoints gives you an attack, defensive, or dash Ability usage, that way you're restricting the ability to just fight and instead focusing it into the context of the original concept - a race.

That aside -

Races are one of the few things I have zero complaints about and actively wish there were more of in this game. So yeah, sold.
  19. Harlequin_Nox Committed Player

Are you suggesting basically making it a PVE instance, but where you can get weapons/buffs to hit your opponent with, a la Mario Kart? Otherwise I'm not really sure how you would go about reducing the PVP aspect of this...?

Thanks for the support, btw. :)
  20. Kimone Luthor Genetech Clone

PVP but with a focus specifically on the movement and track dangers aspect of the race, otherwise your 'race' will literally just become two people killing each other at the gate.