Hogwarts Legacy

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by OneWhoLaughed, Feb 3, 2023.

1. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

What do people think? Are you gonna be playing it?

I've pre-ordered and already got sorted into my house, so I'm definitely giving this game a deep dive.
  2. Emoney Dedicated Player

Naw.
    They seem to be over hyping this game, which from past experience usually means its probably not worth the price. The studio that developed it also doesn't seem to have a lot of experience. So I'll wait to see if it's really worth it, although, I'm not the biggest fan of witchcraft stuff, so I may pass on it all together.
  3. Ultimus Primus Well-Known Player

Looks pretty, and kinda fun. I will def play it but will most likely wait till it hits Xbox game pass. Granted all I've seen are like 2 or 3 videos of the basic game play, but still!
  4. Drathmor Unwavering Player

I'll play it but will wait for it to go on sale
  5. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

There's definitely a generation gap, I tried the first book, and couldn't make it 20 pages. Same with the first movie, 1/4 the way and I lost interest. Hats off for getting kids reading again but ultimately this is a series that is aimed at a particular generation group.
    • Like x 2
  6. FoolsFire Devoted Player

My mother read the Harry Potter books in her 80's. She then tried reading the first Twilight book and couldn't get past the first twenty or thirty pages, "The writing is horrible!"
  7. myandria Item Storage

This game is definitely for Harry Potter fans; I'm sure there will be a lot of easter eggs referring to the books and movies within the game. I "might" pick it up when it goes on sale and after I see the general player reviews on it.

I got through the first 3 books; after that the story went in a different direction and I got bored. I've never watched the movies. This is similar to the Twilight Book/Movie Series; mainly for the younger readers. I'm surprised a game wasn't made based on the Twilight Series.
  8. myandria Item Storage

Yeah, I don't blame her; I "pushed" myself through the first Twilight Book. It was like reading a "coming of age" Harlequin Romance Novel for teenagers/young adults with vampires and werewolves. I didn't see these movies either, so I can imagine the hot mess they were.
    • Like x 1
  9. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

I should clarify, I don't think the writing is terrible. The writing was geared towards people aged 10-15. I have a degree in journalism, and a year of English Literature. George Orwell, and Umberto Eco are my go to reads, switching from that to Harry Potter just didn't work for me. Most genre fiction presents the same problem to me.
    • Like x 1
  10. Quantum Edge Steadfast Player

Wow, does that make me look pretentious, which wasn't my intention. Judging by the millions of people who have read and enjoyed the books, they are well written, just not geared to me.
  11. DezFTW Active Player

I’m preordering today
  12. MikeB Level 30

never was big in the books but this game is amazing.
  13. myandria Item Storage

I've been watching people on Twitch play the game; it does look very good. However, you can tell that the game is made for PC/next-gen consoles. I didn't watch too much of it (just the beginning missions) but I at least I have a visual aid to help me decide if I want to buy it or not. If I buy it, it will be for the PS5; I think the graphics will be compromised a bit on the PS4.
  14. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I finished it a couple weeks ago. Making a new character later this week.
  15. OneWhoLaughed Committed Player

I tried to 100% achievements and gave up at around the 80% mark when I realised you need to restart the campaign as every house and progress to a point.

Saying that the game was stellar
  16. Deathmike Devoted Player

I'll definitely give it a go at some point in the future, maybe when I take another break from DC or after I upgrade my laptop, or both.

Deathmike out.
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

With a licensed property, whether it's an MMO or a single player game, I find myself asking if I want to spend time in that particular fictional universe before buying the game. I had read all the books and watched all the films, but the ending of the story in Deathly Hallows left me with a "that was a good ending, I'll leave it there" feeling.

As an example, being a fan I picked up the book/script for Cursed Child when it came out. But after starting to read it, I only got as far as Act One, Scene Fourteen (I know because that's where the bookmark still is LOL) before just leaving it alone. I don't think it was good or bad one way or the other, but I just never got back into reading it. I'll still re-read the books and watch the movies, but my interest in anything further with the Wizarding World was pretty much done at that point. I haven't even watched any of the Fantastic Beasts films.

Given all that, the game isn't likely to make it into my collection, regardless of how good or bad it might be.
  18. myandria Item Storage

I've only read the first 3 books and never got into watching the movies. I didn't want to go any further with the books. So, for me, I'll try this game; it looks awesome from the few partial game playthrough's I've seen.

When it comes to Mortal Kombat, however, I'll pick up the newest version of the game every time. I watched the first live action movie and I have NEVER, EVER, EVER watched any of the sequels because of the horrible scar that was left on my psyche; I've been very cautious about live action movies from anime, cartoons and video games ever since.
  19. WilderMidnight Steadfast Player

Never been a fan. Somebody actually broke up with me way back when the first movie was coming out because I had no interest in going (it wasn't serious anyway) which is weird because something like this would be right up my alley. Something about it just lessens what magic should be about. With all of the current controversy surrounding the franchise I finally tried watching the first few movies. I can see why kids would get into this. The first movie was well done but as I progressed I just lost interest.
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

At the risk of going WAY off-topic, that pretty much sounds like my experience with the Highlander franchise. LOVED the first film, so when the sequel came out later I wasn't super hyped about it, but I was working in a video store at the time and figured I'd watch it for free through work (we got some free rentals as a work perk), even though friends from college told me not to bother watching it. So I rented it when it came out on video.

Highlander 2: The Quickening was the only, and I do mean only movie I ever regretted using a free rental on. After that, I left everything else Highlander-related alone, defaulting to a phrase that I still stick to today:

"There should have been only one."

:D
    • Like x 1