HL Chompers/Spikequake DoTs

Discussion in 'Old Arkham (Bug Archive)' started by Anti Bezz, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Anti Bezz New Player

Spikequake DoTs get overridden and won't keep going with Chompers up, so legit bug. Fix please and ty.
    • Like x 4
  2. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

Considering the horrid dot damage on each, and that none of these two powers are part of a power-combo (meaning they are two facets of the limited might lantern build), the dot damage should not cancel out. I'd add to that and say the dot 'oomph' needs to be upped a bit. Remember devs, Nature's got three poison related dots that can stack on each other, an now have the unaspected serpent's call to add to that mix. You can ease up on lantern restrictions in the might arena. Seriously.
    • Like x 3
  3. Jax Prime New Player

No, the Devs should not and cannot be allowed to ever touch HL at all. The amount of things that could go wrong or the Ninja nerfs that could be implemented is scary.

It is sad that Chompers and Spikequake do not do intense damage and it seems that here they do not stack. However, it is okay because the rest of the power itself is great.
    • Like x 1
  4. Malik Asmodeus New Player

Look away Devs. Nothing to see here. PLEASE don't ever touch HL.
    Also it's not a bug, it was intended
  5. Massah Committed Player

LOL if they use the same people that adjusted Dual-Wields, or thought Celestial and Rage were perfectly fine on Test (Glyphs ticking super fast) then I am more than okay with "them" touching Hard Light.

But whomever is in charge of "normal" fixes can ignore this...LOL
  6. Malik Asmodeus New Player

I'm not saying HL doesn't need a better DoT, of course it does, but if they made the DoTs work better they'd weaken something else and that's what I want to avoid.
  7. Sodam Yat Dedicated Player

Tbh I gotta agree with jax here, leave HL as it is. Its mostly a prec power anyway. In my rotation I do use snap trap but if they fixed either of the other DOT powers it might do more harm than good. It would slow down your rotation and you might end up doing less dmg. Best thing to do mate is forget all about those 2 and just train in the warroom till you can clip faster. If its used right and practiced enough HL is one of the, if not the, strongest powers out there considering theres no buffs.
  8. Sho Tyme Well-Known Player

HL has been nerfed enough as is. are you really asking them to open that file again and make it worse? as others have said, its prec based so stick to and practice the proper clips. if the clip fest isn't for you, there are other power sets that might fit your play style better. the power set is amazing. there are other powers that are less amazing that need to be looked at. not HL
  9. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

There are several 'low damage' issues with hard light that have remained after nerfs, and some have been as they are since the power launched. These balance issues haven't been corrected, and therefore there should be only gains to look forward to

First off, there's the first-hit damage of spikequake and chompers to look at. Initial damage is average, though it's up-front. They are followed by pathetically weak dots that function as if they are splitting with invisible targets, even if only a single target is effected. This makes the dot effect useless, especially to a might lantern build, and the moves are only used (preferably spikequake for its lower cost) as a generic AOE. (I ended up chaining it often after spinning punch). Now that light claws has an AOE effect that hits multpile targets, the need to chain spike or chompers is lessened a bit.

What they could do instead is allow them to stack (they are two separate non-aspected attacks - one is considered a bleed effect while the other is an active pair of hard light joker teeth biting the target), and spread out that up front damage across each tick, while also equally raising the min/max of the ticks that do crit. IE: Instead of seeing a bleed effect on a target hit by spike ring at a lousy "12", you'd see something closer to "50". If you can stack spike's theoretical 50 with chompers slightly more powerful 58 (ballpark), then you've got workable dots that can factor into other attacks before dots expire.

There's a similar issue with fan having a higher up-front value but less than stellar ticks. If this too were spaced out more evenly it would help the ability itself and won't really hamper the HL combo version much either (as the anim can be jump cancelled without cancelling the ticks).

Light blast also has the issue in DPS form where it splits too many times so that it's <35% health damage bonus can end up mitigated too much to be effective against the particular enemy you want to hit hardest. If light blast split only 3 times, or not at all in DPS form - perhaps even only if used as a single tray power (allowing the HL combo version to split as wildly as it is now), then i'd be a happy camper, and it'll give might builds some much needed support.

And then we still have the completely horrible placement of the support tree where the heavier modifiers are soaked up by some of the most useless and non-used abilities the likes of the old sorcery and nature trees have recently seen, at least partially remedied.

So no. Hard Light is far from fixed, the fight to fix it ain't over, and you shouldn't all be cowering in fear of incompetent coders as so much as you should be calling them out EVERY TIME. Man up.
  10. Sodam Yat Dedicated Player

Did you just say that spacing out fans damage wouldn't hamper its damage??

Mate I mean absolutely no offence by this but thats crazy. Most, if not all, HL combo's jump cancel out of fan, that 1st hit dmg is essential to a lot of the HL rotations ppl use like wep-st-fan or ram-st-fan-jump-wep. You just stated the biggest problem here yourself, your a might based HL when HL is mostly prec based. Im a full prec modded HL and I do crazy dmg without those 2 DOT powers or might mods, usually on par with or better than celes or rage. Apart from shields or triage those 2 powers are also the only ones without any HL combo's so they'd absolutely slow your dmg down.

You make some interesting points man and im not doubting that they "might" need a look at, but to me it seems like 1 of 2 things has happened- you picked the right power but the wrong mods and loadout, or you picked the right mods but the wrong power.

Theres 4 prec based powers including HL and the rest are might, it might be time to look at new mods or a new power.
  11. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

Nope, my HL dps is precision based. And the initial damage from fan is not that extra-ordinary - to the point that HL users are trying to push past that animation to get to something better ASAP. Putting too much stock in a single hit when the value of stacking dots on top of everything that comes after fan has more beneficial edges than you're giving credit to. What happens when a victim sees another pair of '50s' fly off them that isn't related to the attack their seeing? They #$)(@*&#)($*& panic. You have to really understand the benefit of dot attacks before you realize how stupid fan, spike and chompers have been acting. Though that said, i'd also be fine with fan's damage hitting for slightly higher with no dots. Point is, if it's going to have ticks they have to make sense.
  12. Sodam Yat Dedicated Player

I get what your trying to say man I really do, but its just impractical tbh. Why a prec HL dps is bringing up problems with the powers might damage is beyond me. And consider this, if HL dps like us are doing equal dmg at the moment with the two powers lauded most for being "OP" and you want the powers dmg to be increased even MORE, then your really just asking for ppl to start the "nerf HL" threads too. That or like 1 guy said, if the might aspect IS increased then some other aspect of HL will probably be nerfed to accommodate this.

As I said though I DO get what your saying and part of me agrees, but its just not worth the risk of having HL nerfed or changed. I personally enjoy HL every time I play it and thats without those two powers you want fixed so badly. And as for fan? Maybe you wouldnt call 1000 dmg every few secs extraordinary but its part of what keeps me equal with rage and celestial in raids, and id rather have it the way it is now than have to stand there for 5 secs holding a fan while everyone else does crazy dmg around me.