HH Villain Side Lore Doesn't Make Sense

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Lights Derp, May 20, 2015.

1. Lights Derp Loyal Player

Firstly I love this raid, it's actually fun with a lot of mechanics and what not to learn. But the lore for the room is off on the villain side lol.

The Consoles in the room are Sun light emiters, now these would be awesome at powering up a Kryptonian like Superman in the hero version. But they would do nothing to power up Black Adam.

So I have to ask devs, why Black Adam and not Zod? Lore wise it would make more sense.

-Derp
    • Like x 6
  2. Darkerusaelp Devoted Player

Well for one thing Black Adam and Gorilla Zod are the next villain legends characters. For another Zod would get his --- handed to him by Black Adam cause unlike Superman, Black Adam snaps necks for fun not out of desperation.

Back on topic though. I can totally see what your saying lore wise. However let's go back 2 DLCS ago... 8 villains with no magic or kryptonite shouldn't be able to defeat the Superman bounty and not only that but Superman should be the strongest legends character.
    • Like x 6
  3. Anima Committed Player

10/10
    • Like x 2
  4. Lights Derp Loyal Player

Oh I totally agree 100% Black Adam is a total bad ***. I just don't like the idea of the sun consoles giving him more power.

I guess I'll have to chalk it up to any other instance of a raid being made for heroes then slightly tweeked for us villains.
    • Like x 6
  5. Elusian Crowd Control

Granny calls the emitters different from the hero version to fit Adams theme just cant remember what she named them.
  6. Lights Derp Loyal Player

They're sunlight emiters, or at least that's what Calculator tells us.
    • Like x 1
  7. Malachyte Devoted Player

The last boss fight on the Heroes side doesn't make any sense either. How can a group of exobit enhanced heroes defeat a brainwashed Superman without Kryptonite ??
    In the pre 30 level mission and the level 30 challenge mission you need Kryptonite but for the end game raid, the DEVs say, ahhh heck with it, why do we need Kryptonite anyway....

Oh wait silly me....we have Quantum, Mental, and wait for it, wait for it.... Munitions BIG GUN to defeat Superman....because we all know from comic book lore that Superman is extremely squishy and vulnerable to Munitions weapons like bullets and bombs right....:p
    Enough of the rant on the stupidest power set in DCUO...LOL
    • Like x 2
  8. Malachyte Devoted Player

I guess the new DC Lore according to development Black Adam gets enhanced by the yellow sun and you can defeat Superman without kryptonite.
    • Like x 1
  9. Darkerusaelp Devoted Player

Kryptonite bullets... Maybe..
    • Like x 3
  10. BumblingB I got better.

Superman has many weaknesses.
    Magic
    Mental
    Kryptonite

In any case, it's 4th World tech, it may be boosting his powers by adding Kryptonian energy via sunlight. Black Adam would be beast.
    • Like x 6
  11. Malachyte Devoted Player

This is why having Supes in a boss fight without any Kryptonite makes zero sense as the following powers we have against him or any Kryptonian for that matter would stack up...

Sorcery and Celestial as they are Magic powers... yes...
    Mental perhaps....
    Munitions unless they are equipped Kryptonite bullets ummmm no....
    Gadgets unless they are equipped Kryptonite ummmm no....
    HL, maybe to slow him down a bit, but ultimately no....
    Earth, Fire, Ice, Rage, Nature...He'd laugh at all of them....
    Quantum is the lone wild card as I'm not sure how would effect him since its a powers based on the Universes space/time continuum
    • Like x 1
  12. Malachyte Devoted Player

Especially considering Black Adam/Shazam only real weakness is to get them to say SHAZAM...but I'm not sure how they could write that into the game mechanics
  13. UxDRAGON Well-Known Player

Yeah I agree it doesn't actually make sense, it would be much better if we decided what side lore we got to do
    • Like x 1
  14. Darkerusaelp Devoted Player

Mr Mxytlpk shares the same Plot Induced Stupidity weakness. Plus Black Adam doesn't care for the whole laser vision into the eye sockets like in the intro or... SPOILERS

15. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

Except Superman can still get exhausted, I mean Heroes don't kill him in that raid do they? Also we just had several weeks of people crying that they didn't feel like their characters got stronger with the first iteration of GU47 on Test... well congrats, we all got so strong that we can make even Superman struggle. Last one: whoever uses Biggun on a boss is a clueless fool who has no idea how the power works. ;)
    • Like x 1
  16. NerdOfPrey Creative Director

Hi!

First of all, I just want to say that it fills my little heart with joy when folks pay attention to the lore and motivations of the characters. We work very hard in that department, so thanks for that -- you made my day. Secondly, I agree that it can be challenging to make these incredibly legendary characters fit into gameplay needs, but we definitely try hard and we work with DC directly to make it feel like a legitimate DC experience.

Now, I’ll get into our thoughts behind the Halls of Power II finale.

Why we chose Black Adam:

Black Adam is awesome. Just amazingly bad *** and we know folks want to see more of him (so do we), so we picked him for this fight.

For the lore and mechanics, Granny Goodness is terrifyingly adept at capturing and controlling individuals of immense power. For Black Adam, she has collected “arcane photons” as Calculator calls them, a type of magical sun energy that is very much related to the source of Black Adam’s power. I believe Granny calls it the sun-power of Amon-Ra.

Shu
    Heru
    Amon
    Zehuti
    Aton
    Mehen

And as for Superman, I can see where you are coming from. He’s always a challenge to work into gameplay, but we decided we just didn’t want to do this story without him. We also believe that the player characters are top-level superheroes in their own right, and while they (8 of them!) are battling him, he’s also battling Granny’s control from the inside. Knocking him around a bit helps loosen the grip Granny has on him, and tiring him out can be quite effective. By the end of it, he’s exhausted, but free from her mind-control. That’s why it’s up to us to send him home.

Anyway, again, thanks for being interested in the lore side of things. Sometimes it can be a challenge to make this stuff fit together. Frequently, the creators behind books, movies, tv, or games that use these characters have to expand or contract certain characteristics to make these legends work within their media. Ultimately, we hope it’s fun and compelling and makes sense.

Thanks for the feedback.

Have fun.
    • Like x 38
  17. Black Jaq Devoted Player

from what I hear, Superman is a pushover compared to the BA fight.
    • Like x 1
  18. Crimson Mayhem Loyal Player

From what I hear, Superman just got hotfixed tonight to be on par with Adam.
    • Like x 2
  19. Black Jaq Devoted Player

Good.
    • Like x 1
  20. Galil ACE Well-Known Player

MAN OF MURDER STRIKES AGAIN