Healers- Superpowered vs. Hybrid Focus

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by RoBotkin, Mar 5, 2020.

1. RoBotkin Well-Known Player

So I recently got into a discussion with a few friends about the pros and cons of superpowered vs. hybrid focus for healers and I was hoping to get some input.
    One friend who mains a troll was vehemently opposed to superpowered focus healers. His reasoning was that like a group heal the group power heal affects the group members with the lowest power level, so with the healer not dropping to low power as often they'd miss out on the group power heal being applied and miss out on the power over time because of it.
    Personally I don't run superpowered focus on my healer because I don't have problems with power management, but I understand the reasoning behind choosing it- you get a larger power pool and better power regeneration, especially if you aren't able to get in attacks because of having to spam heals and avoid damage mechanics.
    What are some thoughts on this? Has anyone tried both and found one to be clearly superior?
  2. Pale Rage Dedicated Player

Both seem viable to me. The power over time hits everyone, period. The group power restore will only hit 4 lowest. If a healer can self maintain power somewhat, whichever build is more comfortable for the person.
  3. xm3n3hun3 Well-Known Player

I think most players just want players that are competent at healing.

As a healer I'm precision based and I don't normally need much from a troll as far as power goes.
    I do appreciate all the debuffs trolls do as well as when a tank uses their debuff as well

I do run into players that are not aware of the environment (I think they are either newbies or lag is occurring and the players either can't see strafing as it occurs, a skull above the boss or feel via their controller the stun that is occurring and by the time they react it's too late to breakout.

I also don't use any power mods in generator or restoration mods (I do use health mods and dominance mods)
    • Like x 1
  4. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Couple things I need to point out.

First of all, the trollers group power heal IS determined by who has the lowest power at that moment of casting. However everyone in the group get the power over time as long as they are within range and in line of sight. So you as a healer choosing hybrid or superpowered does not make any difference on the PoT at all.

There is no superior choice here. It’s honestly up to you. If you are able to attack often between heals than hybrid works just fine and the extra resto and dom is great to have. However if you don’t get to attack often than hybrid will end up draining to fast and you would be better off going superpowered. Something else I should mention is that cross weapon combos don’t give you back any power regards of which focus you use. So if you use one than hybrid is also not for you.
  5. Isif Committed Player

Sorry, but not sorry to say this, but it seems unfortunate that healers can power themselves. Ah well, \[T]/. Convenient-ed for the masses.
  6. spack2k Steadfast Player

The superpower spec and the role less buffs are the reason why the controll role is not in a good spot atm.
  7. Stanktonia Dedicated Player

But beforehand people were complaining about trolls being nothing but batteries lol, this player base is never satisfied. With the way power regeneration works now, the trolls can debuff and stun if needed, while not running dry on power, something they couldn’t do until they introduced self regeneration for other roles, it makes things easier for everyone
  8. Isif Committed Player

Pre-revamp I remember asking for more duties as a troll, not less. To not tangent this thread, Hybrid focus to me is the more traditional style of healing and SuperP is more of a spamfest. If you are just starting, SuperP is the way to go. Its just a different playstyle that mimics "the way it was."
  9. RoBotkin Well-Known Player

Are you saying cross-weapon combos don't give any power, or just no extra power over normal attacks for hybrid and weapons focus?
  10. RoBotkin Well-Known Player

I think that's maybe more of an issue with general game design- having any role focused on just supporting the group in one key way makes that their sole purpose. Just look at healers- they're just controllers for health- the only reason people don't consider it at similar is because unlike power post group members have no real way outside of soders and supply drops to heal.
  11. Black Jaq Devoted Player

It should go without saying that a Water or Celestial healer using combos is better off with a Superpowered focus.

The game metas are constantly evolving due to Artifacts and other game changes. Right now healers can use Omegahedron and Demon's Fang to manage their power consumption. DF only works with weapon attacks so the problem again is not being able to generate power because they are too busy healing. But why would a healer need to manage their power? PUGS.

Get a squishy tank who doesn't know their tank mechanics and it can be a disaster. Unfortunately you don't always know until you are in that boss fight. A Controller can only give so much power out even as a battery troll.

Alternatively run Metal pt I raids with Controller who is entry level to that content. The PoT will be lower and your power cost much higher than a healer who would also be at level of progression.
    • Like x 1
  12. Berza Committed Player

The cross-weapon part of the combo does not return power. So if you use DW Flurry Shot, the only hit that gives power is the first range tap.
  13. spack2k Steadfast Player

at least back then the controller role was mandatory, right now the role feels like a luxury to have, groups run hardest content without that role...atleast the devs try to merge dps and controll role atm lol
  14. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

As stated above the cross weapon part will give no power at. The regular part of the attack will give you power.
  15. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

That’s not entirely true. Yes people will not get one of each role for alerts but that has been the way for as long as I could remember. The raids on the other hand you will always need a minimum of one of each role. There is no roleless buffs in raids (except event versions) so you’ll need a tank troll and healer.
    • Like x 1
  16. RoBotkin Well-Known Player

As much as I appreciate your insights I don't really know what to do with any part of your post past your recommendation that celestial and water healers using combos spec superpowered- without any supporting information that I could tell.
  17. RoBotkin Well-Known Player

That's... dumb. I don't know whether it's a bug or intentional, but that's probably one of the more asinine things I've encountered in the game.
  18. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

Why is that? Yes it is intended and not a big deal. Most people who use cross weapon combos are prec dps who don’t need extra power. The other ones using it are probably battle roles who are trying to do extra damage. If that’s the case than yes they should have to sacrifice extra power regain.
    • Like x 1
  19. DeitySupreme Steadfast Player

I thought it was pretty clear.

Hybrid and superpowered are more of a playstyle choice with ways to supplement the power regen with artifacts. However that can change at any given moment.
    • Like x 1
  20. spack2k Steadfast Player

nope u seem to interpret to much into the "need" part, there are many videos on youtube on end game(elite/SM) were controller role is indeed not needed.