Hard Light DPS powerback questions

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Rebel230, Mar 21, 2016.

1. Rebel230 Well-Known Player

I switched my 126 villain back to HL. With the recent changes it is def stronger. I am finding I am running into power issues and was hoping for some help to figure out what I am doing wrong.

I am following the 1. chompers, 2. recharge, 3. inspiration. Then 4. fan into the combo chain. then 5. impact into combo chain until recharge is back up and I start over.

However, I am not sure where to pick up from if I get interrupted, KD, etc. I read now that you can start the chain within 3 seconds and continue to get power back, does that mean just hit fan again and go into my combos?

In an alert with trash mobs so to speak, would I just hit the 1,2,3, into 4. fan, or since they die faster should I just do 1,3, 4. fan into combos as I think it is recharge that has a heavy power cost?

Any help would be appreciated. The damage is definitely there now, I am just messing up with my power.
  2. Delta796th Loyal Player

FYI the AM incorporates PI + INS damage when activated.
    What does that mean? Lose them they aren't helping you...

PT to get into combat then either melee or range infinite combo
    Great info in the guide from Dr Strange will help you
  3. Rebel230 Well-Known Player

I feel pretty stupid right now, Can you explain what PT is? Is that the powerback mechanic? So just chompers into the combos? Sorry. Thank you
  4. ErnieB Loyal Player

its simple, dont use inspiration, chompers or recharge.
    1. you are breaking the combo each time and losing damage
    2. power backdoesn't work that way either, specially because recharge doesn' t actually recharge us.

only use infinite combos for range or melee.
  5. Delta796th Loyal Player

Going into a fight (out of.combat) tap Triangle (phantom triangle) clip with beginning of.combo
    Like fan.

No need for power back as combos take zero power.to use.
  6. Delta796th Loyal Player

7. Greenchain Well-Known Player

PT=Phantom Triangle which was, as I understand it, a range weapon attack especially with Rifle that was used with the old Clipping AM. Now it is referring to just a tap triangle attack to go "into combat" to reduce the timer towards getting AM level damage.

Chompers or Spikequake (better choice IMO) is OK but not really worth it and can situation based DPS loss. Recharge is absolutely useless. INS might, might be useful at the start of a rotation but isn't worth breaking the AM for. Also dont want to give that grungy Ice Elemetal exploiting puke any more buffs :D

Powerback mechanic is only relevant to the Clipping AM which is currently underperforming compared to Infinite Chain AM. Keep that hit counter rising then mix in some melee combos and you'll be fine.
  8. Rebel230 Well-Known Player

So basically I am causing myself to have no power by clicking on chompers, inspiration, and recharge?

So as a PC player, at the start of the fight in range should I start with a RMB click to start combat and then just fan or impact into the combos?

If I get interrupted, KD, stun, etc do I just start over from fan or impact?

Sorry if I seem like an idiot, just trying to be clear as to what to do. I am old so it takes me a few...lol
  9. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

There's a fundamental disconnect in how the mechanics work here. Please if you still have questions click the link in my sig and go to page 2 and look at the DPS section of the guide. There's basics on DPS'ing and a breakdown of the Combo AM.

The Power Refund Mechanic is not functioning right now. It hasn't been since GU 57. The bug has been reported(Along with a few others).

Combo's will add to the hit counter which increases Power Regen and Super Charge. The formula is 10 Vit = a 1 % increase. Every time you cross a new tier(colored numbers) the counter restarts and give's 9 additional ticks of power and SC.

You don't need Chompers or Inspiration. Your actually doing a disservice to your damage by ending your combo's. The AM is built upon infinitely combo'ing. Recharge shouldn't be used at all. The amount of power vs the extra gain is garbage time. An extra 6.2 DPS is not worth the power cost for 6 seconds at end game level.

Don't end your combo's early anymore. That's the biggest issue with your damage.

When interrupted/Controlled all you need to do is start combo'ing again within 3 seconds. Meaning : Your Controlled>You Breakout>Cast a Power Tray Combo Starter(Fan for Example)>Combo into Impact. Your Impact Combo will be dealing AM level damage.

The Combo AM does not have a power regen/refund mechanic. That was added for the Clipping Mechanic. The Combo AM is very power efficient because combo's don't cost power.

Hopefully that will help. If you have more questions please ask away.
    • Like x 1
  10. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Yes your rotation is extremely power hungry. Recharge is meant to be used by controllers.

Ending your combo's early is shooting your damage in the foot. The mechanic is based on continued combo'ing.

If your stunned/countered/knocked down etc. Just cast a combo starter and continue combo'ing. Fan or Impact will work.

I'm not sure what the buttons are for PC players. In order to reduce the AM's timer to 1.5 seconds we have to be in combat(red DPS icon by your name). You can do this easily by using a basic weapon attack and immediately casting a power tray combo starter. There's two video's on page 2 in the Combo AM section of the guide in my sig.

No need to apologize. None of this is inherently obvious and the tool tips can be misleading(along with updates changing things on a seemingly quarterly basis). If you have more questions ask away.
  11. Rebel230 Well-Known Player

Ok I am reading through your guide now and watching the videos as suggested.

Just to clarify for myself:

So the tooltips for inspiration and recharge say they increase precision, might and crit strike. These things are not worth the time/ cost of stopping the infinite combos, is that correct?

As a ranged preferred dps player, what should I have on my bar?

So just use a weapon attack, then fan/ impact to start the combos. For ranged it the proper combo choices fan->impact->light blast->mini gun->ran, back to fan etc?

Thank you very much for the help. I am currently cr128 with 107 sp and trying to get more sp as I can.
  12. dr strangeonline Loyal Player

Inspiration increases the critical strike/ability chance by 10%, it also increase's Precision by 15 %. That will effect you and 3 group mates.

Recharge will increase Might and Precision by a +77 and + 62 for 6 seconds. The + 62 Precision equates to a 6.2 DPS increase. It's small potatoes and isn't noticeable at all at your level.

It's not really the time that makes them not worth it. If you know how to set up a parser you can check this yourself(I can walk you through that if you'd like). Or you can take my word on it.

Its the AM timer that makes them not worth it. Casting them resets the AM timer and you end up dealing baseline level damage more often. That effectively lowers your DPS vs just continuing to combo. Overall we deal more damage by skipping those abilities(which aren't part of the AM's design for use) and should just infinitely combo.

INS isn't that important. It's buff is factored into our AM buff's damage formula. It's part of the increase(doesn't passively activate). That said you can stand near another player and receive the buff. That way you don't reset the AM and still get the crit/prec buff.

The example Range Loadout from the DPS Combo AM section is
    • Chompers, Fan, Robot Side Kick, Light Blast, Light Barrier and Strafing Run.
    Only use Light Blast from the tray when enemies are under 35% health or if Fan is on cool down.
    Yes the AOE to AOE Cycle from full range is Fan>IMP>LB>MG>Rm>Fn.
    If your looking for feats re running the solo's and old duo's are a good easy way. So are the races.