Harassment. More than Ignore is needed.

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by ADG, Nov 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ADG New Player

My bad here. Lost to a great pvper. Unfortunately, the loss cost me more than I bargained for. I was inspected and mocked for being overgeared and modded and still losing. I shoulda ignored right then. I didn't. I fed the troll. I argued. I think I do well as a pvper. But, I also have a real life concern that can sometimes hinder my mad skills. I made the mistake of tossing that out there that due to a real life issue I am not always 100%. Even so, I still applaud anyone for winning. But there is such a thing as winning with grace. Just like losing with grace. Treating people like dirt because you win is simply disgusting.

So for the next few weeks, off an on, I am sent a base item "wheelchair", mocking pms and in-game emails from this person and their friend of a similar toon, basically their in-game wife or girlfriend or whatever. Sure, the ignore list works. Until they make a new toon or recruit someone else to flame me in LFG and other channels with such loving titles as "cripple", "damaged goods", etc. Screen shots, open tickets, ignore... And still, here come the pms, emails, and lovely wheel chair base items, if not from their mains, then from their alts.

I assume they received some sort of warning because the wording of their comments have changed to be interpreted as if we are just old chums having a ripping good laugh.... at my expense.

Hate speech, prejudicial speech, even if not valid, is too easily tolerated when in the form of cyber-bullying. And over a game? Being called a cripple, to me, is no different than having a racial slur used against me within a particular context. This person is still in the game and emailed me again, another lovely wheelchair, just this morning. This harassment has now gone on for two months, from two specific people at the same time. If nothing is going to be done to boot such horrendous people from the game for this sort of thing, why can't we simply have a full on blocking of their whole account from contacting me? Right? When you ignore someone, they can just come at you from an alt. Why not have it so that that once ignored, their account is ignored?
    • Like x 45
  2. Buckley Loyal Player

I think the Dev's should take a closer look at this.
    • Like x 7
  3. ShadowCyborg92 Loyal Player

u might want to said Mepps or any Dev the toon names of the ppl harassing u. No one should be doing this to any1.
    • Like x 3
  4. ADG New Player

I hope they do. The ticket was closed and it said solved. A few hours later, here comes a much politer version of a previous email from the same person. I love free speech and my skin is kinda thick. But two months and active stalking of any member for the sake of getting a rise from them is inexcusable, imo.
    • Like x 1
  5. SirMuttonChops New Player

QQ moar plz.

No, just kidding. In all seriousness, there's always a way around whatever someone does. Reset your router and now you have a new IP to work with around bans. Even if you find the actual identification of the computer and block it, there are ways around that. You can only expect so much from moderators.

Do you want to know what to do? YOU ignore it. Don't expect the game to ignore people for you. (Or you could actually CALL them and demand something be done, maybe talk to a superior about this behavior and lack of response? But this is just overreacting, seriously.)
    • Like x 2
  6. ADG New Player

If it did not respect forum rules, I would put it on full blast here complete with screen caps. But, I don't want to burn myself for trying to call it out. And see, they have no idea who I am. I am an adult mind you. But for all they knew, I could have been a child. For all I know they could be children. So I am careful with what I say and how I say it. I just don't see how someone doesn't get banned for maliciously cyber-stalking and using hate-speech.

I lfg-ed, a public channel, for raiding. And in lfg, my full in game name was put out there and I was said to be "crying cuz she is a cripple."

I'm like, whaaa? Are you serious? This is a form of cyber bullying and it has been going on for a long while now. And I don't believe I am the only one. Pointed and personal attacks made by someone and their friend unafraid of being reported or reprimanded.
    • Like x 3
  7. ADG New Player

No doubt. I think in cases like this, if banning is not going to happen, I think the ignore function should cover ignoring all toons on their account. So no matter what they alt to, if it is on their account, their target no longer exists to them.
    • Like x 4
  8. Wilder Midnight New Player

very sorry to see this.

i would suggest submitting a ticket with a detailed account of whats been going on. send them your screen shots and chat logs. as to speak to an in game gm or something.

i'd be very surprised to learn nothing comes of it. sounds like a few people have lengthy bans in their future...and deservedly so.
    • Like x 2
  9. Buckley Loyal Player

Yes but it will be a inconvenience. Besides i have seen bans for stuff as stupid as faulty ram. Also mac addresses are supposed to be unique, get it and ban it from the network.
  10. oasenhoheit Loyal Player

This is a desperately needed change, which has been asked for a long time allready but always been ignored.
    There are a LOT of improvements to the ignore-list, which need to be done.

Ignoring someone should:
    - put the complete account on my ignore list, so all this account's characters are blocked to me. If I ignore someone, I don't want anything else to do with that person, not just one of their characters.
    - put the account on the ignore list of ALL my toons, so this person is blocked to me no matter which char I'm playing at.
    - prevent the person from sending group-, trade-, duel-, league- and any other invites.
    - block their possibility to send me ingame-mails.
    - block them from being queued with me into the same group (PVE and PVP).
    - take me off their friends-list and making it impossible for them to put me back on their friends-list. This way bullies couldn't see people, which they are harassing, logging in and out anymore.

There are surely more things which ignoring should include, but those were the first that came to my mind.
    • Like x 14
  11. Notangie New Player

Account-wide ignores have been discussed, but the devs seems to want to protect the bullies instead of the bullied.
    • Like x 9
  12. ADG New Player

I have. Ticket closed. Status: Solved. Outcome, another email this morning from the same person. Very sweet. Attachment: Wheelchair.
  13. SirMuttonChops New Player

You can reset your mac addresses.

Could definitely get in line with an idea like this. Someone get this done!
  14. Maxx_Watt Loyal Player

Can you get any $ in the AH for the wheel chairs? Let them know their gifts are helping you make $. Ask them if they have any other useful stuff to send you.
    • Like x 3
  15. The Aerovenger Dedicated Player

IF MEPPS & HIS GUYS DON'T SORT THIS - THEN LET THE COMMUNITY ACT! NAME AND SHAME THEM SO WE CAN ALL BLOCK THEM! THE DUDE WILL NEVER GET IN A TEAM!

IN FACT, IF MEPPS DOESN'T BAN HIM, THEN HE SHOULD GO AND SPEND HIS DAYS LIVING IN A CAVE IN UTTER SHAME!
    • Like x 10
  16. The Aerovenger Dedicated Player

Sorry, i've a similar problem to Dr Banner......You don't want to make me angry!
    • Like x 1
  17. ADG New Player

Oh my but what a jinx this is. I recently posted a thread about pvp and deserter stuff. This was something I was getting at. The same person harassing me was queued for a 1 on 1 with me. I had them blocked on my ignore list, but here I was, back into a pvp match with them. NO! NO! NO! So I took my deserter and left. 10 minutes of farming instead. Fine. And here comes an email from then on an alt. Filled with taunts, out right spelled "are you that much of a chicken sh*% that you can't fight me." And I sent in the screen cap, and yes. Wheelchair as an attachment. There was more to it, but you get the point. 20 minutes later, requeue pops for 1 vs 1. Same dude.... OMG. Are you kidding me? And ignored or not, their emotes post in the chat. Lovely. So something needs to be done. people like this will eventually drive away some of the business. If it had not been for my subscription, I would already be out. I have invested too much in this toon to just delete her.
    • Like x 3
  18. oasenhoheit Loyal Player

I totally understand, that this is an absolutely stupid situation for you.
    But I think blocking people on the ignore list from showing up as opponents in the opposite team in PVP might be misused and a reason, why this is not implemented:
    People could just put everyone, who defeated them in PVP, on ignore and never ever be queued against them anymore to be only queued against weaker opponents.

But what would have allready helped in your scenario is, if you didn't get deserter for leaving a match against someone from your ignore-list and if this person wasn't able to send you any more messages AT ALL.
    • Like x 3
  19. Autopsyrotica Well-Known Player

This saddens me greatly, I really hope that the developers can do something more about this. I understand that children lack a modicum of respect towards adults, but what you are describing is someone being plain mean and vicious which should not be tolerated. I am truly saddened on your behalf. I too have some real life limitations that prevent me from functioning in certain ways and have also been mocked, ridiculed and publicly humiliated because of it. my heart goes out to you...
    • Like x 7
  20. kingmasternova Loyal Player

You can not always ignore stuff like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.