Handling Rude Players?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by SethZoulMonEl, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Steamboat2302 Well-Known Player

Also notable... that there is a difference between a negative connotation on an action/words and that being applied to the individual person. "You aren't playing your role right" is going to land differently then "You are an idiot". Right? If people are being reported for well intentioned criticism... yeah, thats not ok and I would hope that the investigation would show that it wasn't in fact toxic. But if you are directing insults...its a different story altogether and is counterproductive. Causes people to retreat into their shell so to speak anyway, so it does no good.
    • Like x 1
  2. Steamboat2302 Well-Known Player

I can say its teenage naivety. It didn't work in high school...it certainly won't work with adults. My point is people on average grow up precious little. This isn't a tv show where the bully gets stopped by one kid standing up to him....he's there because of real pain nine times out of 10. It doesn't come out of nowhere. It comes from somewhere, something. Maybe, he was bullied then got a growth spurt and is now bigger than everyone else. There is no harm in arguing back, but by arguing back merely lobbing insults... I mean look at twitter man. Seriously. Its become a cesspool. I try to understand where people are coming from, I'm not going to report for things I find to be minor. The idea that "snitching" is bad is a seriously fundamental flaw in society. It harms people every day in every conceivable way when they feel they have to take on toxicity by themselves by being toxic, inching ever closer to being the exact same person they are trying to contend with.

My son will never be told its ok to become someone you are trying to deal with in order to deal with them. I'm not perfect in the area...there's a reason I never discuss certain topics in certain environments. Dealing with issues by yourself creates a you against the world reality... its awful lonely doing so this way, and in the end, when you have to take on the whole back row, you end up doing so by yourself. I don't care who you are, this isn't a tv show where you can engage 5 people at the same time because they take turns.

He could get his butt kicked. I did. But I had others to stand up for me/with me. I wasn't alone taking on the bullies while everyone around me just saw me as a lesser equivalent of those who bullied me. I'm not talking from lack of experience... I was bullied my entire grade/high school life. I was socially awkward...a nerd. I wasn't even saved by the fact I was on multiple sports teams and captain on each of them in high school. The teachers pet, got good grades. My kid is practically me. I made mistakes, from advice like what you are giving. Like all parents we try to teach our kids what we learned from the experience. I'll never allow him to take on life alone if I have a say on it.

But even the discussion we have now... there are seriously weighty things we are talking about. A chatroom in a game? The only things they have, in the end, are words. I have an ignore button. I guarantee you I won't be bullied, and I don't value anyone willing to bully over a video game. They shouldn't be interacting with me and its up to the devs whether they want them in the game. I'll leave anything that crosses a line to me up to them after ignoring them. Or, if its just annoyance, I just ignore, like I have on the forum.
    • Like x 2
  3. Steamboat2302 Well-Known Player

I tried what you recommend. It did the opposite. I don't need the money. Don't want the money for it. It taught me how to live life. It taught me to value things and how to deal with adversity. It's a good thing too, because for most people...being an adult isn't any easier.

Know what caused people to stop bullying me when I was a senior in high school? Self deprecation and showing them they didn't impact me anymore. I stopped caring, they stopped bullying.
  4. Steamboat2302 Well-Known Player

People are tougher than they seem. They just need the right amount of encouragement and to find their family if its not from there. I was lucky.
  5. Steamboat2302 Well-Known Player

Regardless... I fully believe that toxicity can be rebuffed without being toxic. And if it can't be stopped without being toxic... you aren't changing anything, you're just changing their target.
  6. Steamboat2302 Well-Known Player

Yep. I went all the way to the superintendent of the school system. If I had my choice, he wouldn't be where he is because of a lack of discipline...but. I don't yet.
  7. Staggiie Level 30

Reply to literally everything they say with a very simple, "no u"

"This tank ***"
    no u
    "Bruh ur stupid"
    no u
    "You should uninstall the game"
    no u
    "You suck"
    no u

Remember, at the end of the day this is just a game and you'll do yourself wonders not taking it too seriously. Have a little fun with "no u's", ignore them, or leave the instance and find some like-minded people to run with. Unless its something horrible (like report worthy) there's not much else to do about it.
  8. Steamboat2302 Well-Known Player

The only point of disagreement here at all...really. Is what line each person has for what is crossing that line.
  9. FlawlessTime Dedicated Player

Yeah allot of rude folks around but it's okay I have a special place on my ingnore list for them it's amazing these people look forward to joining it.

I feel bad for new players trying out this game and when I talk to a few I meet and give them tips they always say thank you to me and they have ran into rude people I do tell them about the ingnore to .

I play a few other MMOs just three when I can or when I take a break from dcuo and I will say from my experience dcuo is more toxic then any MMO I've ever played again for me personally.
  10. Hunted2468 Well-Known Player

Thats a pretty bad example of the Complaints team getting anything wrong. Its actually a solid correct move on their part. Let me explain:

Im white and I have a friend in work who's black. For years we've had this private running joke between us where we try to be as insultingly racist to each other as possible. Dark, dark stuff on both sides. For clarity btw, i was genuinely worried about how he felt about this little game so on a drunken night out i asked him if he was alright with it or wanted to stop, he immediately laughed and got me in a friendly headlock saying he knows i dont actually mean any of it. Anyway, NEVER, in a million years, would he nor I stand up in a crowded office and shout these insults between us with everyone listening.

Now lets look at the scenario you just presented. You stated a 3rd person reported your friend. That means the 2 main people involved in this "mock argument" were doing it on either SAY, SHOUT, LFG or TRADE chats. In other words they were being as public as possible about it. I honestly mean no offense to your friend but thats the definition of stupidity. Its me and my friend slinging racial slurs at each other with a crowded room listening.

Something offensive does not have to be directed directly at the person taking offense. Sure, there are some who get offended WAY too easily these days but neither you nor I get to decide what is and isn't offensive. Your friend absolutely should have been doing this in either a 2 person GROUP chat or by PM. Its not difficult. Theres no context. Theres no gray area.

Ultimately, good job Complaints team.
    • Like x 2
  11. OnlyNomad The One Above All

Ignore the person and move on. Works wonders.
    • Like x 1
  12. Harlequin Devoted Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 9
  13. OnlyNomad The One Above All

Some people really believe that buying a lot of stuff in-game shields you from the ban hammer. The field day we have on the forums when these idiots do get banned. *Chef Kiss*
    • Like x 5
  14. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Your miss representing. In your opening your talking racism an dark dark stuff. Thats not at all what i said. Not even close.
    People in this thread are promoting reporting people
    For even the slightest, tiniest, insignificant comments.
    Thats why im advocating that he ignore button be used as 1st line of defence.
    Reporting someone is serious an carries potentially the most extreme consequenses and that should never be taken lightly nor tossed around willy nilly
    • Like x 1
  15. Steamboat2302 Well-Known Player

In the end the report does nothing but what the devs choose to do with it. We all have different lines we don't want people to cross. You cross my line, you'll get reported. I've said nothing about what that line is, where I draw it etc. If you annoy me too much but don't cross the line you'll get ignored. If people were actually civil towards each other...or at least made an attempt to be... this wouldn't be a legitimate fear.
    • Like x 1
  16. Zneeak Devoted Player

Wouldn't the better decision be NOT to act in ways that could get you punished?

People should probably think twice about that IF they value their accounts and in-game achievements, rather than trying to convince the playerbase that reporting behaviors/issues is bad through some BS "dOn'T sNiTcH! "-angle.
    • Like x 1
  17. Proxystar #Perception

I do agree with this, that the report button is for genuine offense and genuine offense can be subjective.

That being said over use of the report feature is also a possibility and I'd probably say at their discretion the developers would probably come down on someone obviously doing this by reporting things that are 'objectively' not offensive.

If you think something is really offensive, then flag the chat log as well and maybe give it 10 minutes or so and have a think about whether it really is. If you still think it is, then report it, but in that 10 minutes you may have also realised it's not worth it or wasn't really as bad as you thought initially and isn't really worth reporting.

reporting every single tiny infraction is going to eventually make you look silly and over use of the report feature could potentially result in action being taken on you when it starts to look like your're just attempting to 'troll' people through use of report.

There are limits to things.
    • Like x 1
  18. |The 3rror Committed Player

to be honest half the time the players that try to help fix the issue people see it as rude or that 1 player have the courage to say some to get rid of the player all im gonna say if you causing the group to fail ill try to give tips or help out but if you coming at me reckless that toxic side come out and i make them leave the group
  19. OnlyNomad The One Above All

I always read the game chats and wonder how some players are still not banned for the **** they say (Probably because unless they're reported by another user, nothing is seen). I totally get you guys' point about the report feature being abused to some extent and I agree but I think if we had someone (or something?) monitor the chats and give people warnings or mute them for X amount of time, it would solve a lot of the random toxicity.
    • Like x 1
  20. Qwantum Abyss Loyal Player

Here in lies the problem.
    Its a self centered attitude. Thats my point. By your own logic, its proper and ok to report people if they are polite because you can accuse them of being condescending and if being polite is your line then there ya go.
    As i have said, at my work where im the manager i promote decency and giving the other peron the benefit of the doubt. We should try an help each other. We should attempt to protect ourselves while also considering others. There is no harm to you by using ignore (which is what its there for), there is possible harm to others by using report.
    The system (ignore, kicking, reporting, etc) is by design in “tiers” its designed for us to take steps. If your jumping straight to reporting for every tiny thing then your not following the system and putting others at risk when most of what is being reported is probably harmless.
    Reporting is for the worst of the worst, its for when all options are exhausted.
    We should be considerate and understanding. Show grace, be the example.
    You have heard the story of the boy who cried wolf?
    The moral of the story is dont excercise the extreme u less the situation is extreme