Dev Discussion GU95: Universal Messaging System

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Red Five, May 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Five Developer

Howdy DCUO'ers! We have added a brand new messaging system in order to communicate important in-game messages to players. This is used to teach gameplay concepts and to announce special events and whatnot.

The goal is to display important info when it is useful too you, in an attractive format, and most of the messages should only appear once per character. Please use this thread to let us know if you run into any issues with the new screens. Thanks!
  2. RealTegan Dedicated Player

Can you make them easier to dismiss? I mean, right now it seems like I have to go find the button and click it, which can be annoying when it pops up in the middle of a fight. Maybe have it react to the Enter key or Esc on PC or something?
    • Like x 2
  3. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Better yet, don't have them pop up in the middle of a fight. Really... I mean, I had two pop up while I was in the stabilizer duo, and just dismissed them without even reading them so I could get on with the fight. I suspect I'm not the only one.

So if they're being closed down without being read, then they aren't really providing information successfully.
    • Like x 3
  4. RoundLittleArms New Player

Exactly. I have no idea what two I got in the middle of everything, all I got from it was irritation. :mad:
    • Like x 1
  5. Red Five Developer

These are not supposed to appear if it detects that you are in combat. Were you between fights, and then got attacked? Or did it just appear while you were punching baddies?
  6. Red Five Developer

You should be able to press ESC to close them. Do you know what messages you weren't able to close this way?
    • Like x 1
  7. RealTegan Dedicated Player

While running the tutorial, I had it appear just as I was being attacked. I couldn't respond because I had to dismiss the pop up. Perhaps the popup shouldn't get focus if there's any enemies nearby at all?
    • Like x 1
  8. RealTegan Dedicated Player

I tried to close all of them that way instinctively, and none of them closed with the Esc key for me. All in the tutorial so far. I'll run it again and double-check.
    • Like x 1
  9. bigbadron alt Dedicated Player

Was in the stabiliser duo for me. At least one of them was definitely while I was fighting. The other was just as a new wave appeared.
    • Like x 1
  10. RoundLittleArms New Player

For me, while throwing punches and using powers, being flatfooted and all.
    • Like x 1
  11. RealTegan Dedicated Player

Ok, just reran the start of the tutorial. The first popup came up just as the first bad guys were attacking me (possibly because I was running through it fast?) and then I had to hit Esc twice to shut it down. Again, perhaps I'm reacting to it too quickly? But yes, Esc does work, and worked on the second one as well.

Superman is still making random comments and drowning out useful info from Oracle though. You guys need to fix that before the Switch release.
    • Like x 1
  12. Penryn The Gadgeteer

I'm getting the JLD and Spring Seasonal pop-ups anytime I try to login. Even if I switch character and pick the same character, I get the same pop-ups. You can't even do anything until you progress through them.

The system didn't behave this way on PCTest. I saw the messages on my first login for a character and never again.
    • Like x 2
  13. blazeing fire111 Devoted Player

Please add an option to turn the messages off. I don't want to have these huge pop ups popping up every time I log in or at random(the replay badge one) It is annoying.
    • Like x 7
  14. Perdition Committed Player

Give us the option to turn this off please.. some of these messages block my whole screen... it's not even subtle. i do not want to see a message every 10 mins for me to buy replay badges... Again, option to turn it off...
    • Like x 6
  15. Danne0075 Well-Known Player

We need an option to turn it off. Right after we killed a boss in SM I got a popup instantly and bcs of tjat I accidentally pressed X which opened the marketplace then I was stuck in a loading screen for the marketplace until I relogged.

Also the game shouldnt ask me to buy replays or time capsules. I can make that decision by myself and dont need a reminder. This is ridiciulous that it can just pop up randomly and I cant turn it off. Its like having adds on a video or mobile game but in this case im paying for membership and I still have adds.
    • Like x 6
  16. Maxwill Committed Player

Please give us the option to turn it from from settings.It's too annoying. We were about to start a bossfight, in pano e, got the message and almost died from the boss's attack...
    • Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.