Test Discussion GU95: Tutorial

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Mepps, Apr 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RealTegan Dedicated Player

Just ran the tutorial for the first time and... wow, I'm totally unimpressed. Why add Superman? That just takes away the sense that your a superhero fighting for your life. Superman is there? Cool, he'll save the day.

You also removed pretty much all the tutorial lessons, from blocking and block-breaking to what the heck barrels are. I mean, there was NOTHING there.

I don't mind the idea that the other heroes jump in and help eventually, but *starting* with Superman there and removing virtually every useful lesson from the original, including the sense of wonder, just makes it bleh. It felt like a badly watered-down version of the original.

Now that I've given my opinion, I'm going to go back and read the rest of this thread, but count me as a "Please go back to the original" vote.
    • Like x 4
  2. Blazing Marauder Active Player

Alot more intelligent people than me have already posted on this, going through the tutorial is largely skipped by the masses provided they can of course. recently having being forced to pley through it, it was plainly apparent that its plain "busy-work" to teach basic controls like how to move which most games teach in the first minute where as this tutorial drags it out, not even going to mention the 50 or so adds we have to kill...

with that said, i get you want to properly inform players of the games mechanics in order to keep players and potentially drive up sales of end game items such as replays, capsules, artifact xp and augment xp to name a few but the overshadowing question i had was
    "This is how you chose to spend your time and resources?!" this time couldve been spent to fix numerous things like the problems people have with powersets, each have their own individual problems but i get that is a huge undertaking in itself but on top of that the persistent crashes on pc, hackers and cash bots everywhere, the shazam bug that got pushed live, pets bugged, seasonal quest not resolving in journal after completion of said quest...

You get the idea the list goes on, why would you put all this time into a new tutorial which i believe is the fourth iteration as of now, new player skins and now the Universal Messaging System

Please show a bit of dedication to the loyal players who actually play the entirety of your game for (Too) many years now and not just the players who spend money on capsules to sit in the watchtower looking pretty

Thanks, A concerned player
    • Like x 1
  3. KidSuperBoy Well-Known Player

Hello everyone! Here to report findings on the new update and compare and contrast the previous update and the state of the game before. First the previous update is spot on with gear progression being totally linear, and the quality of life improvements being totally awesome. Enhanced very much indeed and, which in my opinion makes for a better gaming experience overall. Secondly, with the current update on test, I would say this coupled with the previous update being analogous to a new version of the game "DCUO Enhanced" and or "DCUO 2"! I've started with a fresh avatar, Kal Quantum, now level 14 on to 30. After which I plan to make a Advance to CR 100 Avatar, followed by a new fully top tiered Avatar for continued testing.

Kal Quantum: Test
    Future Kal: In game

In game and Test Slideshow.

4. RealTegan Dedicated Player

I ran the live version to compare it against the test version. Here's my slightly unorganized thoughts.

In the live version, there is a sense of urgency and panic. You are relying on Oracle's voice to get you to safety. The lessons are there for your survival, and you are focused.

In the test version, you split your attention between Oracle and Superman, and there is NO urgency whatsoever. Superman is there, so there's no fear, no worry. It's boring.

In the live version, you get lessons in where to go, how to find goals and targets, how to use barrels, how to block, how to block-break and everything.

In the test version you get... er... Superman talking at you and distracting you.

In the live version, there is a moment of supreme danger when Oracle realizes the ship you are on contains another invasion force. Everything before that moment is necessary to get the player interested in the game. At that moment, if you want to change the tutorial to bring in more heroes, that would be great. Fantastic, even. But *starting* with Superman makes it less a game about you being a hero and more a game about you being saved by Superman. Boring.

In short, I doubt I'll ever play the tutorial again once the horrible version on test goes live because it's just really boring and useless. It actually had the effect of making me not want to play. When I went back to live and played THAT tutorial, I ended up continuing to play the character up to level 30 just because I got caught up again in the sheer joy of it.

The new tutorial feels like it was written by a committee of people who have never actually played the game. It's an awful downgrade from what currently exists.
    • Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.