GU 73: Controller power imbalances

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Mighty, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Jeff Bond Committed Player

Keep in mind an important aspect of this game is the difference between powersets. Each one excels at some things and isn't as strong in others. Balance does not mean making every power the same underneath with a different light show skin on top of it.
  2. SparkmanX Committed Player

As a HL troll player, I appreciate you bringing this topic. The subject of changing the defense debuf of whipthrash is as old as the power itself. I have tried several times and the truth I do not see sense to have a melee debuff and which in addition spends a lot of power. For HL there must be two options regarding debuffs

1- Debuff that can change in construct combo = grasping hand (damage debuff) and light blast (def debuff)
    2- Debuff that are direct and do not change to construct combo= (light weight and spike quake)

In this way, the player can decide if he wants to play by combos powers or prefer to play directly as do all controllers
    • Like x 1
  3. Control Creed Well-Known Player

A valid point in theory.

That assumes there is advantage the other power doesn't have, in this case it's an imbalance because there are limited variables so there really is no other option. A plus B equals 200 is not equal to C plus D equals 300. Since the number is the main function of the troll, power, exclusion would be inevitable.

DPS powers have been excluded for much less than a 100 percent difference in output so... there really isn't any other solution given healing debuffs are rarely used in the game and there is no other debuffs... you could give one power an 8 man stun and not give it to the other power, if it was like that you could get an abstract, "in theory" balance but... try that and watch trolls flip out.

The differences actually come from the power interactions, even that is a little wonky cause if you get in a raid / alert w/o interaction synergy, ugh. Quantum is REALLY getting the short end of the stick, but it has that nifty teleport move though, and now with a shield? Pickup beast. Almost makes up for not being able to set up PI for the DPS.
  4. Jeff Bond Committed Player

The advantages and disadvantages don't necessarily equate solely to numbers. Quantum Tunneling for example is an ability that no other power has and is a significant advantage in many situations. (It always had a shield component but never had an animation to go with it)

Alcubierre wave now moves adds from behind you to in front which is another powerful ability when it comes to grouping adds and collecting strays.
  5. Control Creed Well-Known Player

Yup, why I brought up quantum. Not saying I don't see the point, in theory. The point that quantum is different is to show if you balance power cost for debuffs there will still be differences, thank you for making my point for me.

However, most people who don't troll won't even notice the lack of PI synergy. They'll just blame the dps. No exclusion in actual practice although in a perfect world this sounds like it balances out it doesn't.

Quantum used to be one of the few with group shield.Now everyone has one, was the game imbalanced before or now? (personally I vote for before because group shielding is a huge advantage).

You could say that healers should learn not to spam, dps shouldn't cheese, tanks shouldn't spam pulls for no reason on and on... but, I expect free time capsule keys permanently in the game well before I expect that. Practically it's an imbalance.
  6. Jeff Bond Committed Player

What I'm saying is that despite Quantum's defense debuff costing 200, the power set has other qualities that offset that extra cost. I haven't had any issues keeping debuffs and power up even speccing only 110 SP into Vit.
    With QT I can get to any supply drop in the room instantly and have full power again.
  7. Control Creed Well-Known Player

Right.. but it doesn't have decoy, or snare and pull munitions, I could go on and on... I main troll and I know all the powers well. Mechanics wise they are already fairly balanced and different beyond a cosmetic difference with the addition of the group shield to all powers, this is another issue entirely. The main function of a troll is to give power and debuff and this effects both.