Gotham TV Premiere!

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Davon (Crisis Core), Sep 22, 2014.

1. Davon (Crisis Core) Well-Known Player

Man I'm watching this right now and its so good! The casting and acting is amazing :) Anyone else pumped about this new series? Jada Pinkett is blowing my mind as a villain, forgot how good of an actress she was!
    • Like x 2
  2. TheDark Devoted Player

Possible spoilers.

The guy who is playing Alfred is horrible. I don't like the tone of his voice or his attitude.

I thought Wayne Manor is suppose to be like 10 or 20 miles away from Gotham? What the hell is Selina, who is like 12 and a street rat, doing out there?

Man, when I saw Ivy's father run from Jim I was like damn. Never seen a man that tubby last so long running in a show. He was quick too. Like 1 second later he's out the window. I'm in great shape now but if I ever get tubby, I want to have his tubby stamina. :D

I thought it was good. They can go in different so many different directions with this incarnation. There are some plots you can predict down the road. I like the fact Batman has such a large and nuts rogue's gallery. So to see them as kids, or just young adult versions, is interesting because we can see them form their ultimate crazy personalities.
    • Like x 2
  3. Davon (Crisis Core) Well-Known Player

Very true, just saw Alfred, he's pretty off as far as the character we all know him to be. Seems they are trying to get away from the cookie cutter version of Alfred that we've seen in every other movie. And yeah, that chase scene lol. My one main gripe about the episode was that during the chase they kept doing that weird camera thing where he was clearly wearing a harness or something to get that angle. Not a fan of the shaky camera technique.
    • Like x 2
  4. Mont New Player

Watching when big bang is on commercial, not bad, not riveting though
    • Like x 1
  5. TheDark Devoted Player

That Alfred sucks. He's just an angry Brit. Not enough hugs or physical contact. I was disappointed he didn't grab Bruce by the shoulder and walk away with side by side contact when they left crime alley. He also yelled at Bruce when he was on the roof. The real Alfred wouldn't have done that. I want the Alfred from BTAS/JL Starcrossed.

I once bumped into some guys who went to NY Film academy by battery park and I asked them about those kind of angles and shots. I also don't like them and didn't understand why they use it. I just want to see the scene clearly. It's like, I want to see the actor run. Especially if it's a woman lol.

They said they do it do make the audience feel uncomfortable aside from adding vibration. It was a tool to send across the message of frustration in characters running or just a feeling a character has (like the rocky movie from like 07 in the panel scene). So I guess I understand why they use it. they're just using it to throw some variation in those vibration chase scenes.
    • Like x 1
  6. Echo Blue Committed Player

Hello Everybody,

Fish Mooney is absolutely terrifying! She made every previous psychopathic character seem tame. Well done Jada Pinkett Smith.
    The Penguin... I mean Oswald (he'll kill you if you call him the P-name) is pretty intense also.

So for, I like this show because of the villains.
    • Like x 2
  7. The Doctor Loyal Player

I actually really enjoy the take on Alfred. I find it refreshing actually.
    • Like x 2
  8. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

Watching the chase now, yea I don't like that camera angle either mainly because I find it jarring and breaks the flow especially when it's facing the opposite direction. I missed the beginning is their a reason why Gordon is shouting "Stop or I'll shoot!" after the guy already shot at him a couple of times?
    • Like x 1
  9. SeeMeFight Well-Known Player

Loved it.
    • Like x 1
  10. Mont New Player

He honest cop, wants to give bad guy the other cops n robbers r framing a chance
    • Like x 1
  11. TheDark Devoted Player

Yea lol. In Gotham, you kill first. Ask questions and worry about things later. Gordon doesn't like that.
    Had to do with a scene in the police station and taking out a guy who just wanted his happy pills. He also took a cops gun and threatened to shot his cop hostage. Harvey got mad at Gordon because, rather than dispatch him, Gordon punched him out. Jimmy didn't think it was necessary to shoot him.
    • Like x 2
  12. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

Anyone know if that comedian will become the Joker? He seemed really disturbed at what was going on with Fish Mooney.

You guys are so right about the acting on this show, the cast is superb. I actually like this Alfred as well, it will give Bruce Wayne another reason to push the boundaries and maybe Bruce's later disappearance could be what softens Alfred a bit too.

Edit: I forgot to add, I would love to see a version of the Court of Owls on this show even without the "supernatural" elements.
    • Like x 2
  13. TheDark Devoted Player

I didn't actually notice him until Penguin sat at Fish's table and those 2 started talking. The whole disturbed look on him was hilarious. Looked violated too. I was thinking no way.

I forgot to mention Fish. There's one scene, "He threatened me!" I wasn't expecting her to throw bullock in the video.

I know some of Rene Montoya's profile, but that one scene with Barbara... I definitely want to see Gordon's reaction to that.
    • Like x 1
  14. Davon (Crisis Core) Well-Known Player

Don't know how I'd feel about the comedian becoming the Joker, I know its a different spin on origin stories and all, but I prefer Joker's mysterious background. Makes him more of a wildcard because you can't try and "Define" his personality based on something that happened to him. The Joker "Just is". So hopefully that guy was just a comedian, a puppet for her amusement and nothing more.
    • Like x 3
  15. SuperSoldier Devoted Player

One of my favorite things about Ledger's Dark Knight Joker was that he kept changing his origin story, still I think it'd be pretty funny to see that comedian turn up in future episodes in the back ground as some poor guy who can't catch a break. I could imagine him always in the wrong place at the wrong time, bearing witness first hand as Gotham falls to corruption and depravity until he finally snaps.:D
    • Like x 3
  16. Ankh_Legacy Devoted Player

Shows like this must wait till there's no distractions (computer is a big distraction), so I'll be watching it later.
    • Like x 1
  17. ExobyteBurt Dedicated Player

Alfred acting the way he is made perfect sense in every context. At crime alley he was already world-weary confronting Jim Gordon, and when he was walking away with Bruce to leave there was reporters, you hear him quietly say to never let them see you cry. He didn't say he couldn't cry, just not to let the public eye see it. The drilling from reporters of Bruce could be seen as an attack. He was giving Bruce a solid pillar to lean on when his whole world was shattered. Get through this. He can save whatever tenderness for private once he has ushered Bruce out of harm's way.

As for the roof thing, Alfred did exactly what a smart parent should, not fly into a hysterical panic. Alfred is dealing with a boy at an age where only a firm reality check tone of not approving and finding the dangerous action of Bruce stupid would snap Bruce to his senses.

Alfred has never been afraid to voice his differential opinions to anyone.
    • Like x 6
  18. Mont New Player

19. Davon (Crisis Core) Well-Known Player

@Supersoldier Odd, my quotes are working. But yeah, I think they laid out a strong foundation for a lasting show. I just hope they don't putter out by tossing in all of their good ideas so early on like what happened with NBC's Heroes. Loved that show but they pretty much had a series finale on the first season, so many big things happened, making it hard for a proper follow-up.

@ExobyteBurt As per the TV guide, the next episode focuses on Selina Kyle. Interested to see how Alfred will interact with her since he's sharp and opinionated.
    • Like x 1
  20. BroadSt Bully Well-Known Player

Thoroughly enjoy Donald Logue's take on Bullock and Robin Lord Taylor's penguin. Think these 2 can steal the show, other than that I thought it was good but definitely has room to get better.
    • Like x 3