Got YLOD :(

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by XODUIS, Sep 14, 2013.

1. XODUIS Committed Player

Was in Wave but extremly exhausted so decided to leave group sounds selfish but hey im human i need rest. In the middle i say, im out too tired they say ok bye, i go to the master menu and press turn off system. Get a couple hours of sleep and was about to play again but the game wouldnt start. Thinking my controller wasnt responding i plug it up and try again but wouldnt work. I finally rub the crust off my eyes and see that the game LED light is flashing red, so im confused. Turn it off and try again but in the midst of it happenening i see it flash yellow. Intsantly the worries hit me, i run to youtube to try and fix my problem fearing i'd gotten the YLOD but praying it was a fluke. In the video i see the guy get exactly what i did and im instantly heartbroken. After trying the hair dryer method for about an hour i call it quits and give up. If anyone has gotten this and no any other methods without opening the console please comment or provide a link.
  2. Splinter Cell Dedicated Player

Unfortunately, I had this happen to me around October of last year. I said my goodbyes, and burned it inside a funeral pyre (appropriate for fallen Jedi knights). With my tax return from this year, I got a new 500GB slim PS3; I shall never forget my first though.
  3. SuperSloppsta New Player

Just look up a tut on how to open it up and fix it (its super easy)
    just need a heat gun and some thermal paste,
    I did it twice on my old ps3 first time lasted 9 months second time lasted 6 it probably wouldve wworked again but I bought a super slim instead
  4. Ilunis Dedicated Player

If nothing can bring it back, you have my condolences. I used to have a fat launch PS3 and it bit the big one two years ago in a freak accident with our tv. We had unplugged the PlayStation from the wall, but neglected to unplug the tv. TV got shocked and sent a blast through the damn hdmi to the PS3 (that was the only cable connected at the time). I remember my friend fondly still.
  5. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

There is no other method to fix it, unfortunately. They did a show in the UK when the PS3 first came out about the YLOD and they had professional engineers fixing the machines for the customers who's PS3's broke. They fixed them initially but they all broke again within a month.

It's to do with overheating of the components inside due to a bad design and also potentially neglecting the maintenance of your machine.

Same thing happened to me about 2 months ago. It was heart breaking. It doesn't help that this game in particular is so heavy handed on the hard drive, too, but don't worry kiddies, it's a design flaw and not DCUO that breaks your PS3.

I bought a new Super Slim 12GB model and a hard drive caddy for about £140. I used my old 80GB hard drive from the now deceased PS3 and it's been sweet ever since. DCUO hasn't been crashing as much either. Only 2 or 3 times since, which is unbelievable considering how bad it's been. Not sure if that's because of my PS3 upgrade or something the developers have done though.

I feel your pain.