Good & Bad Traits Of The Tank Power's

Discussion in 'War Room (Powers, Artifacts, & Builds)' started by Oceanly, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Oceanly Well-Known Player

I Wanted To Make A Tank a Wonderboy one (don't judge me lol) and make him a tank and give him diff stuff but i wanted to know whats the good & bad traits of the tank powers.
  2. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

What powerset are you going with? Earth?
  3. Oceanly Well-Known Player

Atomic and Earth
  4. L T Devoted Player

Atomic will be a lot less forgiving than Earth, as you have to maintain your aura and complete combos often to keep your health up. It excels at juggling adds, and you can heal yourself with combos, which is helpful in open world bounties. Also, Atomic has a very strong group shield. Atomic is flashy-- and you get a cool aura.

Earth -- Pet tanking with Earth is very strong, especially if you're running on a character without a lot of skill points. If you hate Pets/if your pet always dies, then there's a whole separate tanking mechanic for Earth called aftershocks, where you complete quick combos every 12 seconds or so and can buff your defense very high. If you have enough dominance, your defense gets really high.
    • Like x 2
  5. Oceanly Well-Known Player

thank you so much im not really informed about tanks so this really helped:)
    • Like x 1
  6. Dogico Loyal Player

If you go Aftershocks I recommend running three shields (Gemstone, Hard Light, Movement Mode SC/Amazonian Deflection) while for Brick running Totem and Pheromone Bloom with EoG is a good idea.
    • Like x 1
  7. Oceanly Well-Known Player

lol Amazon Deflection lowkey a top tier shield just the bad thing is it can be countered and the long cooldown
    • Like x 2
  8. MrStoob Well-Known Player

I'm an Ice Tank.

Putting your stats fully into Dom, as one should on an Ice Tank build to maximize shield strength, will mean you're doing bugger all damage.

When on a Might DPS build, you'll still probably do less damage than other powers but it's fine for dailies and whatnot. I can't comment on Prec builds, so there might be options there I don't know of.

Ice Tanks can withstand the most damage due to shield rotation options but if there's any other tanks (particularly 'battle tanks') in play using the other Tank powers, they will generally win the taunt due to higher damage. Not a problem in raids as you'll generally be the only tank but 'annoying' in open world stuff as it feels you're being denied your raison d'etre of standing there taking all the beef.

Currently my skill line up is using Reflection (shield), Winter Ward (shield), Shatter Restraints (group breakout + shield), Amazon Deflection or Resonating Gail (depending on scenario), Bitter Winds (DoT), and Inescapable Storm (pull). Only 2 (or 3 if using Resonating Gail) actual attack skills but between them they do what needs to be done.

Tuppence worth / two cents.
  9. Critical Massacre Committed Player

Atomic is a lot of fun but I’ve heard the combos can be difficult on pc, even though I’m sure some people have no problem with it. Get your build from obsidian chill vids. You do have some leeway when it comes to movement and weapons, especially if you’re not going run elite content. Atomic mass pull is awesome for building your aggro; you will literally be surrounded by every enemy on the map as you’re running combos, which is pretty thrilling. Atomic can’t stand up to orbitals and what not from bosses but as long as you pay attention and either block or roll you can avoid death. I actually like that aspect because it keeps the play through very active on my part and takes some skill. The Mass Density mass shield is probably the best in the game and if you are strategic with when to use it you can save your team often when bosses do the mass kills. The one personal shield you have is also good because you can activate it almost as fast as you can a block and the cool down is fast. Think it’s one of the most fun tanks in the game but it does take skill to run it well.
    • Like x 1
  10. Oceanly Well-Known Player

Thank You Ily so much
  11. Nangaf Well-Known Player

Best tank power ( if it can help for your tank choice)
    1-Earth
    2-Fire
    3-Atomic
    4-Rage
    5-Ice
  12. Thunderstrikke Well-Known Player

Of the 3 methods (earth has pet or aftershocks), I definitely prefer pet. Aftershocking has always gotten me killed (which I guess is why you need the shields per above), and while initially fun, comboing the same two moves over and over and over again with atomic got old fast.
  13. BitGam4r Well-Known Player

Statistically, Rage is the best, however its high risk (meaning rage crash), high reward.

Earth - Low risk, medium-high reward. Its got extremely strong shields, but if you're using brick, and he dies, you're taking the full brunt of the damage, its also got a high variation in ways to tank, turtle, brick active, aftershock.

Ice is good in single boss/low amount of adds, but the more targets you put on ice, the weaker it is.

Atomic is really good in the right hands, (don't know how to rate with risk vs reward because my experience with atomic tank is about 10 raids total). The disadvantage with atomic is if you let your aura drop/proton remedy drop, you're f****d. So with atomic, you really have to be on your toes.

Fire is significantly worse than it was pre--revamp. They tried to make it into something its not, and I warned them against it. It went from being the best tank power in the game, to above average in the right hands. You rely on the healer a lot more, but if you have really good heals behind you and you know what you're doing, you're almost as good as rage.
  14. Dogico Loyal Player

Aside from giving Fire a damage mitigation shield and multi target range pull they didn't drastically change the way Fire plays. It's still about boosting your health and increased incoming heals. I started playing in 2012, took a break, and have been back since May but I don't remember a time when Fire was ever the strongest tank. Ice was top until Rage came out, more balanced now imo. Having played Fire, Earth, and Atomic extensively since coming back I'd say Fire is a great tank power and offers more survivability tools than Earth (my main).
  15. Nangaf Well-Known Player

Fire and earth are really close in term of survivality, fire have a little bit survivality with better in defense, but earth are better in attack

fire and earth are the best tank right now by far.
    Rage is too instable,
    atomic ,if you are stun you die
    and ice is a joke, no damage reduction , only fix defense, shield absorb like example 30 000 damage, ice really need a shield that damage mitigation like fire, rage reduce by 100%, fire have 45% shield mitigation, earth have 100%shield and 50% from pet ans , atomic have 25%

beforr ice have 90% def from dom but now all other tank have something close to 90% def from dom + health or something else
  16. Dogico Loyal Player

In terms of overall survivability yeah they're pretty close, but I should have maybe reworded "survivability tools," because I meant to say that Fire has more options at their disposal to keep themselves alive (multiple healing options, damage mitigation shield, multiple cc options) vs Earth which doesn't have as many tools (variable shield, one great cc option).
  17. Psyfur Well-Known Player

Fire’s one of the best tanks? Not when it takes more time and more power for a fire tank to heal back 100k worth of damage which gemstone shield, winter ward, redirected rage or even density can absorb in 1 second. But I’d say it’s one of the hardest working tanks, along with atomic.
  18. Rejchadar Inquisitor

Why compare nails to bricks? Two completely different mechanics. But if you really want to compare, then compare correctly. Compare this in different situations, for example compare how much healing and shields are effective in a situation where the boss's attack ignores all or part of the shields. Compare the effectiveness of shields where the boss's attack deals% of your health regardless of defense. Compare the effectiveness of healing and shields in a situation of large damage spikes. Compare your Absorb / Heal and Cooldown ratio. Compare the availability of additional shields for fire and additional healing for tanks such as ice or earth. This is not all comparison is needed, but this is where you can start ...
  19. Dogico Loyal Player

Fire heals back damage faster than Earth because it receives a boost to incoming heals and has self healing capabilities that are inherent to the power; Earth literally has one viable shield and needs to use multiple iconics/movement mode abilities to have good survivability. I think where people come away thinking Fire isn't that strong is if they try to run multiple shields instead of go all in on the self healing, the latter being what I did as Fire. High SP also helps Fire more than any other tank imo. I've ran CoUE as both Earth and Fire with a solo heal so each power is equally viable, they just have different considerations to maximize tanking.
  20. BitGam4r Well-Known Player

I'm not saying fire is a bad power, far from it. Its just a shadow of its former self. With the revamp, they tried to make every power like atomic, this active tank, no blocking always moving type deal. And while its good to have options, they made it to where with almost every tank power, you pretty much have to tank that way. That was always my issue with the revamp, them almost forcing you into a play style when its very simple to provide people 2 viable options. I learned how to tank by turtle tanking, then when they introduced the PvP mechanics during Origin Crisis, I learned how to counter and turtle. That is how I like to tank, I CAN do the other tanking, its just not enjoyable to me. Fire could take most any hit in the game by just popping a power and blocking, now it can only do that by having your hit counter going, having immolation up and relying a lot on the healer. If you turtle with fire now, you're toast.