Getting an "invalid name" error, despite changing it around (PS3)

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by RadCanon, Jun 2, 2016.

1. RadCanon New Player

I was going to post this in the bugs section, but I'm not really sure if this is a bug or not. If this isn't the right section, let me know and I'll delete it and repost it accordingly.

So, long story short, a few friends and I are running a superhero campaign in the Cypher system, and I wanted to create my character from the campaign on this game. Problem is, when I input the character's name, I get the "Name is invalid-please choose another" message. The name in question is Noah Vincent. As far as I know, there aren't any major characters in the franchise that have either of those names, and the only time I've seen this error message is when I try to use a name that's relevant to a major existing DC character. More importantly, I tried changing the spelling of both parts of the name (eg, "Noa Vincent" and Noah Vincet"), and still got the message both times.

So what gives? I'm only using one space, and there are no invalid characters- the names are typed exactly as I've typed them here. I also tried removing the space, with no luck. Is there currently a bug affecting the name system? Are these names all taken (for some reason), and I'm just getting the wrong error message? If not, then does anyone here know why, exactly, this name is invalid? I can't figure it out for the life of me.

Thanks in advance for any answers
  2. Superskull85 Devoted Player

• Like x 1
  3. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

Both Noah and Vincent are allowed, so who knows o_O
  4. RadCanon New Player

Thank you for the quick response. I know this game is kind of strict on its names, but I don't think they would go as far as to restrict an alternate spelling of fairly common names like these, especially when the character they're connected to are known by a different alias. At least I'd hope not. I'd understand, to an extent, restricting variations of Calculator, but I would hope they're not restricting real life names on the basis that there happens to be an existing character within the DC universe with a similar name. If so, that would be more than a little ridiculous.
  5. TybeeTahiri Devoted Player

There's a player in my league named Rip Hunter, so I doubt the restrictions apply to any kind of licensing. Especially when you consider all of the Supermans in the game.
  6. RadCanon New Player

Weird. I'm not sure what would be causing it then. I tried to search the bugs section, but I'm on mobile and search apparently doesn't work on here :/
  7. RadCanon New Player

I have determined that it's the name "Noah" that doesn't fly. I tried pairing different words with both names, and it accepted names with "Vincent", but not with "Noah". It also accepted "Kuttler", so I don't think it's related to Calculator. So it's specifically related to the name Noah, and also restricts similar variations of the name, and I'm not really sure why. It is kind of annoying, not gonna lie, since I don't see a logical reason the name would be restricted
  8. TITAN ephemeral Loyal Player

It could be a religious restriction...as in common religious names are not allowed...that way no one can run around being a celestial healer calling himself "Jesus"...and perhaps offending christian players...call him Vincent Buddha...bet "Buddha" is restricted too...and on and on...
  9. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

I had that with a name once - can't remember which. Toon was on EU so I was even trying some of the special characters open for use there to circumvent the problem of the name being invalid. Worked two days later after I checked the app if the error message was maybe wrong and if the name was taken instead, not invalid. Since the same name worked within two days without updates, I assume the validation server or service was buggy or disconnected when I tried for the first time, so I advise you to just try again.
    • Like x 1
  10. RadCanon New Player

This is the only conclusion I could come to. However, I tried Abraham, which worked fine. It's pretty lame to restrict a name just because it's shared with a biblical character, especially when they go as far as to cover variations in spelling. I understand, to an extent, restricting "Jesus" (which is restricted) and names of other gods/messiahs, but Noah seems like it's stretching it a bit too far, especially since it's a fairly common name in real life, and it seems to be the only other historical Christian name that's blocked.

Y u do dis, devs? :(
  11. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

Really check again. There are a couple of 100 toons on the US server starting with the name Noah. There's a Noah Vale, Noah Var, Noah Walker, Noah Stormbringer etc.

Unless it's related to the filter currently acting up and Noah is blocked by now for being a reference to a person of significance in Christian mythology, the name should get through.
    • Like x 1
  12. RadCanon New Player

Well, I did reset my system and try again with no luck. I figure it's as TITAN Ephemeral said- a religious thing. It's a bummer, I resubbed and everything solely for the purpose of making this character. I'll try again in a few days, though. Hopefully it turns out to be a hiccup in the name checker.
  13. Superskull85 Devoted Player

Keep in mind that at one point the name restrictions were mistakenly lifted or certain names were not restricted at some point. The restrictions were not applied retroactively thus why some characters may exist with restricted names (or restrictions rules, etc.). What is important is that the name is restricted now, presently, not that X character had been allowed at some point.
  14. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

Just tried for myself and it looks like Noah was added to the filter. Maybe it is the religious filter, but I tried Abraham with various names and Abraham works fine.... thinking bout it, I should have tried Adam maybe :D However, there is a slight chance that it is an overly protective move due to Noah Kuttler. They did somewhat the same with Black Canary, blocking Canary entirely disallowing White Canary, Green Canary, Red Canary etc. all in the same move. Same with Hawk IIRC.

Anyway, you can go the ugly way and x it out - xNoah Vincentx etc - or try Neoah Vincent to add a little matrix touch to the surname and circumvent the filter.
    • Like x 1
  15. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

True. Still, if they completely filter any surname related to Christian mythology or related to anyone from the DC lore, we'll be running short on good names very shortly, especially if it's the latter. No Clark, no Bruce, no Oliver, no Noah, no Jimmy nor James, no Perry, no Adam etc. that list is endless. That sort of filter is out of control, it would be enough to block the relevant names solely like either "Noah Kuttler" and/or "Noah". We can have all sorts of "Arrow" and "Arrowette" characters, just not Green and Red; same should have been done in the Noah case. And in the Canary case :D
    • Like x 1
  16. RadCanon New Player

I actually tried xNoah and xNoa and it was still blocked. Interestingly enough, N0AH was not (although I'm still not going to use that, because it looks tacky). Also, Kuttler worked fine so I don't think it was because of Calculator. It must be a religious thing, which again is pretty lame, especially since no other Christian name aside from Jesus is blocked.

I mainly think it's dumb that they block different spellings. Why block Noa? I would have settled for that, since it was a spelling I was tossing around in my head when making the Cypher character anyways. I doubt anyone would get offended seeing a character named Noa. (Honestly, I doubt 99% of the Christian population would be offended at the original spelling either.)

Arghh, whatever. I guess I'll just settle for his first and middle initial. Not much else I can do at this point. Lame move on the devs' part, though, I gotta say.
  17. it_was_Friday Dedicated Player

You could always write a complaint. They have a filter on words with religious reference - in some cases, but not all. The filter is there so people don't get offended.

Well... What if someone got offended because the filter is there?

For example, if in an act of praise for a figure of their own religion, some9ne wanted to make a "Jesus" character. They find out they can't, but also find out that "Mohammed" is not censored, which allows Muslims to create a character in praise. That makes it seem like Christianity is being called out as bad by the developers.

Note that "Buddha" may have been a better choice as a 2nd example. Per strict Muslim tenets, a practitioner would not create a rendering of their prophet. That would be haram.

It is really best if people with authority and power make NO moves regarding what is good or bad, what is allowed, etc. Since it can be interpretted either way, the game developers should have just not voiced into it, allowing for all. People will be offended one way or the other, so do nothing, so they aren't involved, so they aren't liable.
  18. RadCanon New Player

I didn't know Mohammed wasn't blocked. I just assumed it was. If that's the case, then I feel like a complaint really should be written about it. Although I won't write one, because I can't say I'm offended by any of it. I don't really like how easily offended some people are nowadays, and I don't want to come off like that. I'm just peeved that a name like Noah is somehow considered inappropriate for this game. But if someone else was offended by religious filters, I'd encourage them to speak their mind about it.

I may still write a complaint, though, simply out of frustration that a fairly common first name is not allowed through the filter, because that's kind of dumb, and needlessly restrictive.
  19. Slade Wilson Devoted Player

About two weeks ago some people in /shout tested and were baffled to find out that Jesus is blocked by the filter but Mohammed and Buddha both are not blocked. So if blocking Noah is a religious motivated move, the thing is obviously centered around Christian mythology, rampant, random and out of control.

I just tried to create a character named Jehova and found out someone did already. I then named it Jehova Jehova and it went trough which....

....it obviously shouldn't have to not hurt any religious feelings :D
    • Like x 1
  20. RadCanon New Player

It is pretty one-sided of them to filter names from one religion and not another. If they're gonna try to be politically correct about things, they at least need to go the whole nine yards with it.

Also, great clip there. I haven't seen that Monty Python movie, but I'll have to look it up now.