Get your dream name!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Accept, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Drathmor Unwavering Player

while I understand the sentiment. I have to state this because for some people they truly don't get this fact (not singling you out just in general) that simply because you want something doesn't give you the right to it
    • Like x 3
  2. >>>KIra<<< Dedicated Player

I understand this more then a lot of people may think. I log on everyday in hopes that the person who has the name i want and never, ever see that person log on at all in the last 3 years. I am willing to pay whatever in game cash for it but again i never ever see this person at all log on. I am not asking for a name reclaim or anything like that at all. But like someone said earlier in the thread 1st come 1st serve
  3. Knarlydude Loyal Player

This is a very good and reasonable explanation of how the name purges should work. There should be zero drama and it should be done regularly.

• Like x 1
  4. Knarlydude Loyal Player

I will add how the DCUO's last name purge was exactly how not to purge names. I saw the problems coming from a mile away when I saw that name change tokens were being pushed to be sold. The name change tokens should have never been added into the mix. That was a recipe for disaster waiting to happen.

DCUO could fix a lot of these name issues by adding more spaces and a few other things. Like adding name selling to the cannot do part of the TOS. Players going in and making names trying to take them all up so that they can sell them for millions is a type of market manipulation and is usually illegal in most financial markets.
  5. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

Sorry, can't follow. The tokens were bought by people who hoped to snag a name that got free'd up, not by name traders/sellers/horders/whatever. Why should someone trying to make ingame resources invest in 2 name change tokens - one to grab a name, one to release it after the deal - when he could get an additional character slot for still less money? Or just use a spare character slot that is maybe there?

What made both name purges a desaster was the amount of people who went "I want that name" and then "Another one, I didn't get it", stressing that there was "money" to be made. Their attitude plus Daybreak willing to cater to it brought all the name traders in position, not the token sale. Starting a free account and buying just 1 character slot was the way better approach to hoarding: the extra slot turns the F2P account into premium, and there's 7 slots for 7 names to grab, for 500 MC. The tokens were at 750 IIRC.
    • Like x 1
  6. Wonder Wiccan Dedicated Player

Would I like a name reclaim personally yes there are names I want that are taken but never used. I have them on my friends list in hopes that they are freed up. But our wants are a poor master. Allowing for constant name reclaims would mean no one can be secure in the names we get. People's lives aren't cut and dry. There could be any of a number of reasons they couldn't log in in a while. Seeing some of the responses here is disgusting though. "I do something bad to prove I could do something bad." Awesome mentality. But now onto the reality of the situation. It's not going to happen. The original name reclaim was to merge the servers. The devs stated they are not going to do another name reclaim as you have rented out that name and they can't just take it away from you.
    • Like x 2
  7. Stark23 Committed Player

Lol, what terrible comparisons.
  8. Enemy Ace Well-Known Player

One of those ideas that gets waaay more hate than it deserves.
    • Like x 1
  9. Deus Ex Machina Committed Player

Your friend will never have "Buddy". ;)
  10. Protecktor MKV Committed Player

I was happy to get my name after the last reclaim
    • Like x 4
  11. Knarlydude Loyal Player

Hopefully this is easier to understand.

The biggest issue was that DCUO was trying to sell name change tokens when it shouldn't have. The powers that be at that point in time were trying to make a buck when it was not appropriate. They knew what they were doing when they pushed the name change tokens. It was shady to say the least.

The server name merge and the name purge should have been done separately and name change tokens should not have been pushed. DCUO made it seem as if all kinds of names were going to be freed up when they knew better.

I have no issues making names but I can see where others are coming from.

IMO, Name purges should happen monthly based on account inactivity and it should be written into the TOS. Something like....if your account is inactive for 6 months or 1 year without written notice then your original name ( JoeBob) is recycled while your existing name (JoeBob) has a symbol or acronym added to it and given a free name change token just in case you come back and feel like you need to change their name. The name given by the game would be something along the lines as JoeBob_PSInactive or JoeBob_PC7. The symbols like the underscore would be something that only the devs could add to names.

This way newer players still have an opportunity to find a name that they like and its not a turn off because they are sitting there for 30 minutes to an hour hung up trying to figure a name out that will work for them.

Like I said. I can make names all day long. DCUO could alleviate some of the name issues by adding more spaces and longer names.
  12. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

OK, agree on he sorta shady business. However, it does not make the mechanism applied a catastrophe, from a pure technical point of view. I considered both name reclaim runs around the server merges fair, from the point of criterias applied. I lost 2 names in them, one was unavoidable since I used that name on both servers myself ;)

I somewhat don't. Haven't tried new names for a while now, but I grabbed some even DC names in correct spelling. These folks are just too focused on their Batman/Supes/whatever super big name they want.

I think starting with regular purges should be done on the level where no one could argue against it: inactive F2P accounts. That would equal already a number of names freeing up, and Daybreak would not cross any kind of paying customer that way. 6 month to a year would seem a reasonable frame of time.

If they work out without large amounts of drama, one could eye for premium accounts. Important is that in any case activity is determined on the account level.

Like I said, don't think so. Maybe it would be a better way to actually enforce the naming rules - no licensed material names, no matter if properly spelled or how many X have been added, these names need to disappear, making it clear that the players are not supposed to "impersonate" existing characters but make up their own - and I say so knowing I'd lose about 5 names from my collection. Once this is made clear, all the Batman names are no longer in demand nor available, making the factor of envy a non-factor.

All these "I want that name"-threads are usually about licensed material - or "OG" names. The latter can't be cured, there will always be lots of people thinking "Pizza" or "Lasagna" are great names for superheroes/-villains.

Of course there is also always the option to combine the character name with a global handle. That way every single player can have every name within the ToS, but usually just once. Other games like STO do it. And to close the circle, I bet with changing the naming to this approach, Daybreak would again sell a bunch of rename tokens.
    • Like x 1
  13. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Completely agree that there needs to be a second space added, allowing up to three names (and allow non-European's to use 'special characters')

What is wrong with using 'Pizza' as a name? Have a speedster named "Street Pizza" ("Road Rash" wasn't available :( ) because she doesn't have the secondary power of enhanced reflexes (got the idea after that Super Hero movie with Tim Allen and how he was a bit of a clumsy speedster)
  14. Lamiawitchprincess Level 30

Or just get more creative lol you can create a unlimited amount of dream names just open your mind and be more creative lol
    • Like x 3
  15. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Yups, like 'AitchTwoOh' for a water bender
  16. Lamiawitchprincess Level 30

My water dpser is named plaguerain girl lol and undead then i got pirate healer water that is named lady tigershark lll
    • Like x 1
  17. Wade Spalding Loyal Player

And the character bio includes having nightmares about being eaten by a bunch of turtles? ;)
  18. Erin Arror Dedicated Player

I'm ok with the way it is. Name reclaims from server merge was out of necessity.

On the player's side, if it is for the pure intention of using it for yourselves that's one thing. Not really a fan of hoarders lobbying this topic, strictly for a resell market.
  19. Magnificent Loyal Player

The last time was a bit of a fecalshow because of the fore-warning. So many people who haven't played for years logged in just to keep their name, then logged back out or grabbed a name just to try to sell it.

So if they do it again, I hope they do not announce it.
    • Like x 2
  20. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Hadn't thought of that, like said, was 'inspired' by clumsy Tim Allen and 'Road Rash' wasn't available :p
    • Like x 1