Gamer's Tax...

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Minie, Oct 11, 2019.

1. Minie Well-Known Player

So, I'm on ps4 and have been with PSN since 2011ish and have never been taxed for ingame or PS Store purchases until these past months. I never see anyone on PSN or anywhere talk about this and am beginning to wonder am I the only one who has a problem with this. I used to go to stores and buy PSNs never being taxed. 20 PSN cards were $20, 25 PSN cards were $25, and 50 PSN cards were $50 exactly.

It's frustrating when I buy a membership and think "Sweet at $15 ill use the other $5 from my 20 psn to buy a body respec for an alt" for example then realise I've been taxed over $2 dollars, so now I'll have to buy a extra $10 PSN for something I already could afford initially. I wouldn't really mind the tax if ingame purchases always had a tax from the start ,but they didn't, it feels like a random, negative switch of lanes.

We never have been taxed so hard since I can remember (atleast on PSN). Why out of the blue now are we being taxed?
    Have Xbox/PC players always been taxed? Or am I tripping and missed the memo?
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Online purchases have for quite a while been exempt from sales taxes. For quite a while here in Michigan any online purchases or transactions you made were supposed to be reported on state tax returns but I wouldn't see any tax on stuff I bought in the checkout windows.

But many companies now are following state laws (at least in the US) and applying state sales taxes to any purchases you make. I've seen it not only with purchases in places like Nintendo's online store but also online retailers like Amazon.

I don't think I'd call it a gamer's tax. It may just be the state you live in (if you are indeed in the US, can never tell LOL) pushed enough to start getting the sales tax you hadn't had to deal with before.
    • Like x 1
  3. Minie Well-Known Player

Right. I personally don't necessarily have a problem with the tax, my only issue is how we've been tax free for like 7+ years now out of the blue one day we are getting taxed (heavily at that). Just seems fishy and off to me, guess it's nothing we can do right now anyway. I just never see any complain about it and I don't know why.
  4. myandria Item Storage

Well,

Sony started collecting sales tax in the US in 2016. However, each state did not start applying the tax at the same time due to tax laws/policies for each state. Canada started doing the PSN tax this year. I live in NJ and I am also on the PS4 for this game; the PSN tax actually started last year for NJ. However, I didn't see it until this year when I had to renew my membership.

Here is a link to the PSN support page concerning the tax:
    https://support.playstation.com/s/article/PlayStation-Store-Sales-Tax-Collection?language=en_US

Just to note: not all PSN purchases are taxed.
    • Like x 1
  5. GoldenDodge Dedicated Player

I noticed it when I did the winter sale subs last year.
    I had the exact amount but it was short and I didn't catch it at first and was in wtf mode.
    Then I realized they were taxing it. (State - PA)