Funny story about why I don't trust NPC AI

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by willflynne, Jan 12, 2020.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

To be fair, my distrust of NPC AI isn't reserved for this game, it's pretty much ANY game, MMO or console. What I encountered yesterday is just a funny example. :D

I hop into the game and queue up for the Iceberg Lounge solo. I go through the motions in the first part, fight Pengbot Maximus 2.0, guard Harley, rescue Catwoman and use Ivy's "babies" to clog the vents. You know, the usual stuff until the fight with Penguin starts.

Penguin shows up, he starts shooting/using his umbrellas and then the annoying-as-all-get-out pengbots that blow up on contact start spawning. It was a little weird, though, as Harley, Catwoman and Ivy were just standing there when I started fighting. I just figured they were a little too far away to get triggered into the fight.

Anyhow, one of the pengbots spawns and I see the ladies finally start moving. "Cool," I think, "they finally got flagged for the fight, here we go."

But they didn't fight. They just started following that one particular pengbot like a weird game of follow-the-leader. :confused:

Now on that fight I tend to zoom the camera out far so I can keep an eye out to prevent a pengbot from sneaking up behind me and going kaboom, so I was able to keep an eye on the ladies as they moved. And they proceeded to perfectly follow the same path as that one bot all around the room until they finally got back to where Penguin was.

THEN they started fighting him. :rolleyes:

It's not been a recurring issue or anything. In fact it was the first time I had ever seen that happen in that instance. But the whole time I was both chuckling and saying to myself, "Yep, this is why I don't trust AI in games." LOL
    • Like x 2
  2. Eve YouTuber

Recently I started playing Guild Wars 2 and NPC's usually help pick you up if you die in the open world. I think NPC's used to do it on DCUO aswell, but I don't see them do that anymore xD It at least makes it feel like your character has some interaction with them.
    But yeah, it happens to me a lot like that NPC's don't even fight or join mid-battle lol
    • Like x 1
  3. TechWarrior0329 Steadfast Player

related story along those same lines. This is about the last Son of Krypton solo from the death of Superman event.... Now II am a realist and don't expect Supergirl to be a huge help... It is supposed to be MY job to defeat the bad guy right? But it would be nice if at the very least if she is going to be hovering around that she could prove helpful? Don't ya think?

Instead I've had numerous incident where she has "played" tank and pulled Kryptonian troops away forcing me to chase them down to defeat them.. But that is minor compared to the final battle against Xa-du. Like I said I don't need or expect her to do major damage but while I am running around shutting down all the Yellow Sun Protectors it would be really nice of she didn't use those so called tank abilities and pull him directly to where I am making it impossible to turn the thing out. SHE IS WITHOUT A DOUBT THE WORST TANK I EVER SAW lol

Oh and here's an example that goes just the other way.... How many times have you been in the Gotham under Siege outdoor zone and found yourself unable to defeat "X" number of the "BAD" Amazons because the good ones have not just attacked but defeated all of them. SO you get to sit there and wait for new ones to spawn. MOST of the time NPCs provide very little assistance in damaging anything.. in that zone they tunr it around and kill them off before you get a chance to help at all?
    • Like x 2
  4. willflynne 10000 Post Club

I think I can trace my dislike/distrust to the old Rogue Squadron games on the Gamecube. There were some missions in there where my mission score would get fouled up by NPC ships getting blown up or not doing the tasks I assigned, so it got to the point where the first thing I would do in a mission would be to dismiss them. LOL

There's been other examples, but it's just gotten to the point where I don't trust any AI and the idea of potentially having to babysit those NPCs rubs me the wrong way. The whole Companion bit was one significant reason (among many) why I didn't bother with SWTOR.
    • Like x 1
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It's also fun when Supergirl (or any other NPC, for that matter) goes for a lunge attack and somehow propels themselves clear across the map or room, putting themselves out of the fight and dragging their opponents with them in the process. :rolleyes:
  6. Rainnifer Committed Player

I have a dislike for Terra in the Titans duo, she just loves to pull enemies away from me with her big ol' earth hands and proceed to gloat and insult like she's the better one while earth-slamming the air. Sure Terra, you can think that...
    • Like x 1