Forum Writers’ Guild

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by velvetsanity, Dec 15, 2017.

1. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Creating this thread as a place for those of use posting stories here on the forums to share ideas, brainstorm, and so on for DCUO fiction (stories about our characters or otherwise relevant to DCUO) that we’re posting here on the forums.

This is not for posting the actual stories (or reviews), this is strictly for bouncing ideas off of each other and asking for help when we get stuck.
    • Like x 4
  2. Eve YouTuber

This is a great idea. I keep writing but never post, or have Ideas I simply don't feel like writing but would love to see if others can make something out of it. I will post a few ideas in the future, just for now passing by to say thank you for that thread! ;)
    • Like x 3
  3. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

[IMG]
    Sweet! Nice going on creating this thread which is perfect for the many writers like myself in the forum. You can count on my support and help.
    • Like x 1
  4. velvetsanity Loyal Player

I figured it’d be best to have a separate place to discuss plot points when we get stuck so that we could leave the story threads for the stories themselves :)
    • Like x 2
  5. velvetsanity Loyal Player

And now that we have it... :)

I've hit a logical break point for part 5, but debating something with part 6. Specifically, considering who and what Raven is, is what she suggested something the Phantom Stranger would be obliged to show up beforehand to make sure she's fully aware of *all* consequences, or after to make sure she understands just what it is she's done, or would it best serve the story to leave them to discover the full extent of things on their own right alongside the readers? I'm not overly familiar with the Phantom Stranger, so I'm not sure what would be considered serious enough for him to show up.
  6. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Decided not to have the Phantom Stranger show up right away for various reasons (he's busy elsewhere), still debating whether he shows up at all. Need some more reference info about him. :p

Anyone have a link that can point me in the right direction?
  7. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

8. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Hmm. Thought DCUO was based on New Earth continuity rather than Prime Earth?

Still, any info helps
  9. velvetsanity Loyal Player

And once again, it’s failing to let me edit. Lovely.

Anyway, thanks, Bern :)
  10. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

• Like x 1
  11. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Hmm...I recognize Zatanna, Spectre, Doctor Fate, Deadman, Etrigan? And is that Phantom Stranger with the pipe? Alan Scott with the colorful costume? No clue who the guy in the glasses or the woman in the slinky black dress are. Not sure who among them would have the relevant *knowledge*...Etrigan or Spectre are likely based on their natures. Deadman, *maybe*, though I’d call that iffy based on the little I know about him, and I think only Freyja or the Valkyries would see him unless he was possessing someone. It’d have to be someone who’d have mystical knowledge about soul bonds and their effects and consequences on the people who share them.

From your links, Phantom Stranger does feel like the best choice to me for the role of explaining some of the likely consequences, but if one of the others is also likely a good choice for the part, I’ll need to read up on that character.
    • Like x 1
  12. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

I wouldn't worry too much about keeping in line with game continuity. IMO when it comes to fan fiction [especially something like this/DC comics] there is SOOOOO much to play with. Just have fun with it. I agree that reading up on characters you want to incorporate, also, try to find videos from movies/animations they are a part of in order to try and get their "voice" close to what/who they are. I don't write much in the DC world anymore and tend to stay to my own world I try to create [that sonds pretentious, sorry], but when I did/do, I try to read up through various comics sites/databases or videos on youtube to get a sense of who a character is, so I can write them accuratly. Even when I write stories with other players characters I want to know "who" they are so I can capture them the way the creator has envisioned/desgined them, out of respect to the creator. A bit winded, sorry bout that.
    • Like x 1
  13. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

The guys with glasses is Faust, son of the villain Felix Faust. The lady in the slinky dress is Madame Xanadu. The Blue horned guy is Blue Devil and the guy smoking a pipe is Dr Occult
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentinels_of_Magic
    • Like x 2
  14. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Ok, I was definitely way off on those guesses :D

I’ll definitely be looking them up for future reference, though. As it is, I’m not entirely sure who will show up, though it’s starting to look like nobody at first. We’ll see. I have made progress on part 6 today, still leading up to them actually going in and getting it done so far, but it’s almost time.
    • Like x 2
  15. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Ok. Part 6 is done. Part 7 begins with them going in, but her I need a bit of help. How do I depict Raven taking someone with her into another person’s soul? Is there any reference material for that?
  16. BernUnit81 Devoted Player

Off the cuff, I might reference how the physical body i left in the room they are in. I might look at some of the scenes where Dr. Strange goes into the astral plane [in the movie and the comics].
  17. velvetsanity Loyal Player

Dr Strange? Ok. And I’m pretty sure I remember reading that Raven is able to *physically* take someone into a soul, but if not that’s fine. Key is that Nightwing can go in with her to be a distraction while she’s busy convincing Tanja to go for the soul bond. Once I get past that point, I’ll need help with the actual fighting.

Basic plan is: (1) find Tanja (2) convince Tanja to accept the soul bond while keeping the exobyte construct distracted (3) continue distraction while Tanja gets to the cave and takes possession of her birthright (4) kick construct’s butt until they figure out a way for Tanja to integrate it with herself (5) everyone returns to physical reality
  18. velvetsanity Loyal Player

For once google image search actually proved useful! Stumbled over scans of actual comic pages showing Raven teleporting people through her soul-self
  19. velvetsanity Loyal Player

And yet again, the edit button fails. Ok. I’m at the point where they’ve gone in and are about to meet up with Tanja inside of her soul. The first bit will focus on that end, but once Tanja gets what she needs from the cave, that’s the part I’m not sure how to proceed with. How long do I drag the fight out, how do I describe the action, and so on. I’ll probably be ready to get started on that in the next couple of days, for now I need to get in game and grab my Star Sapphire ring from the prezzie tree :D
  20. velvetsanity Loyal Player

I’m scaring myself now...my story just made a skidding turn off of the path I had envisioned it taking and jumped a collapsed bridge across a river O_O

I have absolutely NO idea where it’s going now, even as I continue writing.

Parts 6 and 7 are complete, I’m halfway through part 8...still haven’t gotten to the fighting...