Fliers should be grounded in pvp arena's

Discussion in 'Battle of the Legends (PvP)' started by Nerf Everything, Oct 16, 2014.

1. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

You can't jump cancel while in flight. After you lunge you're either hopping out of movement mode and giving up flight's advantage making both other movement modes superior or you're going to try and slowly ascend back upwards.

Dylan, I have said it way too many times now. Flight has an advantage. It also has disadvantages that come along from using those advantages.

You don't kite to spam powers -_-

Changing grounding to have it function in the way you're describing would mean having it function as a crowd control effect and be classified as such. And the issue there should be somewhat obvious I'm hoping.

And as I've said numerous times now, even if there was a way to change grounding to function in that way, there would still be zero disadvantage to kiting with Super Speed.
    • Like x 1
  2. Talve Dedicated Player

Lunge without dodge? This will probably not going to change.

Go watch the arena FNL tournament dcuo had. Go count how many fliers you saw.

Everybody and their mother uses SS, specially when it comes to PvP and proper premades. For a good reason.

No one is saying flight does not have its advantages.
    But those advantages are nothing compared to free kiting you get from SS.
    • Like x 1
  3. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

erm, what?:confused:
  4. minuteofdecay Committed Player

[ quote="The Enquirer, post: 2897343, member: 302716"]You can't jump cancel while in flight. After you lunge you're either hopping out of movement mode and giving up flight's advantage making both other movement modes superior or you're going to try and slowly ascend back upwards.

Dylan, I have said it way too many times now. Flight has an advantage. It also has disadvantages that come along from using those advantages.

You don't kite to spam powers -_-

Changing grounding to have it function in the way you're describing would mean having it function as a crowd control effect and be classified as such. And the issue there should be somewhat obvious I'm hoping.

And as I've said numerous times now, even if there was a way to change grounding to function in that way, there would still be zero disadvantage to kiting with Super Speed.[/quote]
    So why kite then? I don't know I never used Superspeed in that way . My understanding of it was to jump all around and keep healing ur group. Is that not what it is?
    If it's not to keep doing ur job while keeping ur self out of harms way then why did it matter? Please tell me this nerf wasn't just because someone ran away and didn't Even contribute to the team with damage or heals or power.
  5. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

The purpose of kiting is to lower damage in. A major advantage SS had was that it could EASILY allow the person kiting to continue to perform their role while doing so. Talve already explained that pretty well though:
  6. minuteofdecay Committed Player

Combat reduces IF no need to ground SS
  7. Talve Dedicated Player

Point of SS kiting is not to run away. Its to mitigate damage.
    The second you are under focus fire, with this little quick double jump you can mitigate loads of incoming damage.
    It does not mean you have to start running in circles spamming you jump key doing nothing for your team.

And its completely safe to do.
    Costs no power.
    Is pretty much spammable.
    Takes very low amount of time to perform.
    And you can still perform actions (like throwing a heal or two) while keeping your momentum going.

Lets say i'm a healer in a 5v5 match. I'm picked as focus target.
    Now as a healer i do not want to spend power to heal only myself. It's waste as even my single target heal would heal me and someone else.
    So what do i do?
    Lets say i'm SS.
    Do a tap to keep my power regeneration going and do a quick jump away. What did i get from it?
    Weapon combo hit boxes are so bad in this game that i probably just avoided ~10k damage if not even more. Loads of damage i do not have to spend my power to heal.
    What do i do as no SS?
    Try to block or look for a lunge? If i get lucky, awesome. If i do not, let incoming burst begin.

That's the whole thing. SS has always given easy ability to keep avoiding damage with 0 risk and 0 downside.
    • Like x 1
  8. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

I'll direct you towards another one of Talve's posts (actually the same one I just quoted above):
    Sorry to keep quoting you like this Grandpa Lunge :p
  9. minuteofdecay Committed Player

And now with the increased power costs kiting and doing ur job isn't viable anymore right? Who cares if dude is jumping around kill his teammates he isn't damaging anyone on ur team .
  10. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

[IMG]
    Except he very well can be.

I'm not trying to be insulting here, but you don't seem to know much about how kiting works in PvP.
    • Like x 2
  11. Talve Dedicated Player

The guy jumped away! Lets kill his teammate!
    He is SS too? Damn.
    Let's kill the next one! SS?
    What about that DPS there? SS as well?
    I guess..afk for 100 marks?

Only a person under focus fire has to kite.
    And if your plan is to leave opponents healer(s) and controller completely free to do what every they want after they spend 2 seconds using their no risk no cost SS ability, good luck to you.
    • Like x 1
  12. minuteofdecay Committed Player

Good points I can see where that was advantage and I still would have like to seen a different way to stop it. Like grounding. What advantage does SS have now in pvp? U can't fly ur combat speed is equal to acro, right? So why be SS?
    If this was just in pvp I would probably care less but it affected it in pve too when there wasn't a need to stop a kiter. To me this was an attempt to make SS less attractive and make ppl want to respec to Skimming why else do it in pve?
  13. minuteofdecay Committed Player

Nope didn't do it I like going toe to toe. I'm up in ur face type of person.
    Not trying to be insulting but u put a gif in? I only pvp for feats almost done with them a few more lair battles and a few of the headquarters left.
    But with the increased power costs and reduce healing that has to be tougher than ever to do. How did u guys do It for four years? Why wasn't this a complaint thread with the frequency of a cash cap thread?
  14. Yallander Loyal Player

I really think there should be a vocabulary test of PVP terminology with an e-Learning app that is required before people post anything about mechanics of PVP...
    • Like x 1
  15. Talve Dedicated Player

I do not know a single MMO developer who likes to keep their PvP and PvE updates separate.
    I know that Arenanet tried it with GW1, but even they gave up in GW2.

It's actually funny how much confusion something like this actually causes.
    The whole "why isn't this thing i'm doing in PvE working in PvP?!?!?!?".
    It's pretty much like managing 2 games instead of 1 on same number of staff. Usually not worth the trouble.
    And the poor customer support...

It's not tougher to do. Same old.
    It is more important to do now though as power is more valuable.

Why hasn't there been crying about SS before? There has but devs never did anything about it.
    Why did it come up again? Because new PvP season. Developers actually noticed arena PvP for a second.
    Perfect time to shout out things that need a fix -> there is actually a chance for it to be fixed.

Also, SS kiting in PvP has become pretty much become a backbone of competitive arena PvP.
    Lots of PvPs actually do not want it to be fixed as they like the all SS vs all SS matches.
    As over all that time most people went with the "if you can't beat it, join it" path.
    So why to complain if you are SS as well. Everyone are. Everyone are OP. Works as well.

I would probably fail it xD.
  16. minuteofdecay Committed Player

Well I know that combat slows down my running speed but now it also takes away IF. To me that sounds like grounding because I can't use my movement special ability. Does combat remove RAG or flight, nope their advantages are still usable.
  17. Yallander Loyal Player

That comment wasn't aimed at anyone in specific, however this whole thread seems driven by multiple people who don't have an understanding of the differences or mechanics to do more than just rage about much of nothing tbh.

Regarding any changes made that impact PVE, I would agree that a separate thread should be made asking "Why?" instead of pointing fingers at people who just want their favorite part of the game to be balanced and WORK correctly.
    • Like x 1
  18. minuteofdecay Committed Player

If kiting is the same as before then this didn't fix it?

I'm no expert but I would swear that there are things that work in pve that doesn't in pvp already.
  19. Yallander Loyal Player

LOL...I guess it depends on which dev writes the quiz :).
  20. The Enquirer Steadfast Player

Yea, if you aren't kiting, you aren't playing at your best. Same goes for rolling. Which is another form of kiting. With the increased costs for powers kiting now is more important than ever.

There have been a few threads about this over the years.

As per the gif you suggested that performing your role isn't viable while kiting :p There really isn't anything I could say about that.

THIS IS KITING RIGHT! LOOK AT HIM KITE.

/sarcasm

What game are you playing exactly? Because that's not how SS functions nor is going to function.
    • Like x 2