Firstplayers: All you need to know! FAQ Level 10 - 29

Discussion in 'Oracle’s Database (Guides)' started by LadyLightning, Nov 20, 2013.

1. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Firstplayers: All you need to know! Part 2: Frequently asked questions for Level 10 - 29
    (PC only)
    Here is Part 1.

After the first steps into this universe many questions might come up and this FAQ tries to answer these to help you level up.

How do I get to the other city (Metropolis or Gotham)?
    Go to the nearest police departement or nightclub and from there you enter the headquarter (heroes: WT, villains: HoD) or go directly to another safehouse.
    If available, you can also teleport directly into HQ (headquarter) by pressing M and teleport there via the map.
    Upon arrival, you can see many teleporters on your map of which 3 lead to Metropoplis and 3 to Gotham. The other teleporters lead to other destinations in the universe.

[IMG] How do I use the map?
    Rightclick places a green marker, which you can see in the HUD as a green arrow. By pressing shift + rightclick you do a ping on the map, which your groupmembers will see on their map as a blue arrow.

Weapon attacks
    The attacks with the weapon can be compared to the game rock-paper-scissor

Why is that child's game related to DCUO? That's simple: The weapon-attacks can be divided into three categories:
    Interupt, Blockbreaker, Block

And the rules are this:
    Block beats Interupt
    Interupt beats Blockbreaker
    Blockbreaker beats Block

[IMG]

Which weapon attacks are Interrupts or Blockbreaker is written in the description of the weaponcombos, but in general, Interrupts are executed with the left mousebutton and Blockbreakers with the right mousebutton.To block press Shift, which is left on your keyboard, above STRG.

What are those symbols above my head?

Those show for what weapon attacks you are vulnerable:

[IMG] vulnerable to Block
    [IMG] vulnerable to Interupt
    [IMG] vulnerable to Blockbreak

Where can I reset my power- and skillponts?
    In the respec-chamber in the headquarter (HoD or WT).

Villains: Down in the pit. Just go into one of the wings, pass by the first vendors until you are standing in front of Harley Quinn, Cheeta or Bizarro, then do a 180° turn to see the entrance to the pit. After that just follow your map.
    Heroes: Mark the respec-device on your map and go to the Meta-wing, then follow the arrow on your map.

[IMG] What are exobits?
    Exobits are fragments of exobytes which future-Lex Luthor brought with him from the apocalyptic future and which grant all new heroes and villains their powers. These fragments can be used at the R&D station for some minor use and collecting them is a feat.

[IMG]Which gear should I wear or buy?
    There is specific gear for every role. If there is no role-requirement in the description, then the gear is for damage dealer (dps).

[IMG] How do I play alerts?
    By pressing Y you can queue up with the on-duty menu. Alerts are more dificult instances, which can only be beaten with 4 teammembers and teamwork. They also require the knowlegde of the basic game mechanics. As a reminder: You can change your role by pressing T.

[IMG]How do I form a group?
    To do that you have to invite someone first. The player who send the invite is automaticallly the group leader, who can add more players to the group.
    There are two ways to invite players:
    • type into chat: /invite name
    • with the social menu (F4),there you can choose from "recent text", "nearby" or "friends" choose a name and use the option "invite to group"
    [IMG] A player has a red and blue head above him - what's that?
    That's the duel sign. You can challenge him by going towards him and pressing E. Don't be afraid to try, because you will lose nothing when you lose.

How do I get those grey fists / signs with stars?
    [IMG] Those are the currencies for PvP and you need to play PvP to earn them.

What are Source marks for?
    These are for the mainframe of your base (DLC) and to buy eccellent gear when you reach level 30. You will also need them for your artifact breakthrough.

What is the dispenser in my base? (Lair System)
    You can buy upgrades in the mainframe for Marks of Triumph, which will be created by the dispenser. What kind of upgrades exist is shown in the mainframe.

What are artifacts?
    (Coming soon)

[IMG] What are feats?
    Feats are achievements with varying difficulty. They have a seperate menu where all possible feats are listed, but also your progress to the next skillpoint, because in DCUO those are not just for show, but also an important part of leveling!

Where can I get more characters for Legends-PvP?
    In the headquarter (HoD or WT) you can find two vendors, who sell characters for Marks of Legend.

Heroes: In the War Room, below the entrance to the Meta-Wing, at Beast Boy or down in the Meta-Wing at the Power Core where Hawkman and Hawkgirl are.

Villains: Down in the Meta-Wing where several vendors are close to each other or down in the Pit at Catwoman. How to find the pit is described in "Where can I reset my power- and skillponts?"

In the marketplace characters are available for SC. You need to go to the "redeem/claim" tab to receive them.

What does restoration / dominance / vitalization / might / precision do?
    You might have spotted these on your equipment or you have taken a look at your statistics.
    I will give you a more detailed description:
    Defense: Reduces the damage caused to you by NPCs. Depending on your defense, damage will be deducted from your incoming damage, which as a result will not receive as damage. Since it would be possible to become immune to any damage, armor piercing was added to higher levels of endgame content.
    Toughness: Reduces the damage you receive from other players. Depending on your toughness, damage will be deducted from your incoming damage, which as a result will not receive as damage.
    Health: Defines the amount of damage you can endure before you get knocked out.
    Power: Some players call it "mana" as well. Power is required to use your powers, but also to break out from control effects.
    Precision: Increases your weapon damage (white numbers)
    Might: Increases your power damage (yellow numbers)
    Restoration: Determines the amount of healing you can do, but also the strenth of shields. This is maintly a stat for healers.
    Vitalization: Determines the strentgh of your power-recovery effects. With vitalizaion your power-recovery from weapon attacks increases as well (hitcounter). This is mainly a stat for controllers.
    Dominance: This determines the duration of control effects and if you are able to apply control effects at all. Along with defense and health this stat is important for tanks. For controllers it isn't that important, but shouldn't be ignored. Dominance increases the strength of shields for all non-healer powers (together with restoration)
    • Like x 17
  2. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

How does leveling work?
    The main mission which is available to you is not limited by your level, but instead they are linear and you must complete the previous mission before you can see the next. Not all of your missions will be from your mentor and you will have tasks in both Metropolis and Gotham before you reach level 30, regardless which mentor you have. But don't get too confused: Your mentor still has some jobs for you he/she won't offer characters with other mentors.
    Because of the linear mission design you can level as high as you want through side missions or events, but you won't skip or miss anthing.

What is the escrow?
    The access levels Free-to-play and Premium both have a money limit and all money that a character receives beyond that limit goes into the escrow. It is only accessible with All Access (PC), Legendary Membership (PS4/xbox)) or the escrow access from the marketplace.

[IMG] What is an event?
    An event is an occurrence, which is usually limited to a few weeks and returns periodically. It offers a chance to get special loot and rewards, which are not available outside of the event. This includes Collections, styles, furniture and many feats - and....stabilizers! Yes, there is a way to open Time Capsules for free!
    Seasonal events: Tides of War (Summer), Mxyzptlk's Mischief (St. Patricks Day), The Witching Hour (Halloween), Winter Holidays (Winter), Springtime (spring)
    Stabilizer Fragementation: This event grants stabilizer fragments depending on your access level and Nth-metal.
    Legends-PvE: Daily changing maps, Marks of Legends and many feats are the rewards. You can spend Marks of Legends to buy more Legends characters. More about that above where I explain Legends PvP.
    Episode Preview: This is the most recent addition and will offer a preview of the most recent episode for free and available to any character of level 10 or higher.

[IMG] Should I do sidemissions?
    Absolutely yes! The extra experience is good, but more important ar the Marks of Triumph. Additionally you'll get feats and some other useful stuff. Get 'em all!

[IMG] Where can I buy gear for level 10-29?
    Don't bother looking for gear of that level on the HQ vendors: There is none.
    However, you can check the broker [IMG] if someone is selling gear that is better than what you have.
    The lowlevel gear vendors are in the safehouses, which each offer slightly different gear. Check the vendors whenever you visit a safehouse!

On what else should I spent my money?
    Besides gear and Soder Colas you can also spend the money to earn more skillpoints of style sets: In the HQ and safehouses there are vendors that sell pieces of the following styles: Schoolyard, Street, Metalhead, Paramilitary, Formal, biker
    The style vendor for heroes is in the War Room.
    The style vendor for villains is in the Main Hall.

[IMG] What is the armory?
    The armory can save your style, gear, role and where you spend your power and skillpoints when you imprint on it. Then you can load what you saved in the armory just by loading it - it even works in combat! The default key for armories are the numbers of the num pad. You can have up to four armories active on your character and more can be bought in the Marketplace.
    Be aware that armories become invalid when you change your power, movement mode or have more than 10 free skillpoints!

Why do some NPCs and players have a level beyond level 30?
    The numbers you see there (eg. 43, 52, 103, ....) is the combat rating of those NPCs or players. Don't get close to those! Move away and hope they didn't notice you...because those are so much stronger that they will take you down in an instant! Don't mess with those until you are strong enough.

What is Linkdeath? Currently deactivated
    Link Death allows you to get back to where you left of, if you come back within ten minutes, when you disconnect or you crashed. But your character will remain in the game during this time, so hurry to get back!

How can I enter a friend's base?
    Your friend has to add you in his/her mainframe (requires Lair System). Once you are added, then you have to open your map and click on "Base Tracking". Add your friend's base and confirm. Now you can see that base as soon as you are in the right city.

Where can I get an aura?
    Auras are sold in the Marketplace, but they are also a random drop from [IMG] Promethium Lockboxes. During seasonals special auras are available to buy for DBC or seasonal currency - or they drop from the seasonal on-duty instance.
    Here you can see characters with a blue, a light blue and a white aura:
    [IMG]

I have trouble to defeat a boss in my mission. What can I do?
    The answer to this can differ very much, because there are many possible reasons.
    A common problem is missing or broken gear. Make sure to repair your gear regulary and buy better one. Side missions and alerts offer gear too. Soder colas offer power and healing when you might need it the most - don't forget you have them.
    Another cause is often that you might be relying only on your weapon or only your powers - ideally you use a mix of both.
    Look around you; are there red or orange barrels you can use to your advantage?
    And finally: Read your task carefully - do you really have to beat down the boss, or does the mission say something else?

Does the game end at level 30?
    No! That's where it starts. More about that in the next guide

On what should I spend my RL money, DBC or MC on?
    This highly depends on what you want and what you like. Most of the stuff is just useful, but no big help.

If you want to play a different power, it is a waste to switch your lowlevel character with a token or do anything else you can change at character creation. If you haven't played much yet, you won't know that leveling is INSANELY fast. You can indeed bring a character from zero to hero (or villain) lvl 30 in just a single weekend without much effort.
    If you are new to the game the same applies to skipping to a high CR: unless you have friends you want to play with very fast, it will put you at a disadvantage to skip instead of helping - leveling is the tutorial.
    Buy styles? This is always a nice choice, because these are permanent and for all your characters, even those you haven't made yet.
    Teleporter? Really useful and again for all characters.
    Mobile R&D? Teleporter is better.
    Armory: Useful at endgame, not so much for the tutorial. The bigger packs are the better choice than just one because you can move them between characters until you "consumed" it for use on a character.
    Seasonal currency: You can have a lot of fun with these - keep in mind that using replay badges on the seasonal instance will give you more marks for the same money.
    Stabilizers? Keep doing the Stabilizer Fragmentation event and get them for free instead. These are expensive for a very small reward.
    DLCs/Episodes? Membership? You don't need any of that - you would barely notice a difference.
    Escrow unlock? You don't need it to play - really. And even later these are overpriced and - I really have say: Useless.
    !
    • Like x 5
  3. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

• Updated the parts regarding marks of triumph
    • added links to the HoD map
    • had to find out that it no longer fits into one post with the new links in it
  4. Miss Adora Loyal Player

for respect chamber, it will be easier going to the tech wing and enter the door way on left at the bottom.
  5. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

I added an image, links and minor changes :).
  6. Cyrus Kain New Player

As a new player i would like to say "Thank you so much for taking the time to create this!" My family just started playing this together and the this information has helped a lot!
  7. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Cool! :cool:
    If you have any suggestions, you can also send them to me via PM ;).

Part 3 is in progress :D.
    • Like x 2
  8. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Added
    What is that mod that a NPC dropped?
    Where can I buy gear for level 10-29?
    What is the armory?
  9. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Added
    On what else should I spent my money?
    Why do some NPCs have a level beyond level 30?
    Why is nothing happening in the queue for PvP arenas?
  10. Raider Champion New Player

nice guide, but a just wanted to let you know, just a mispelling, but good work :)
  11. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

I don't see the mispelling you want to point out :(.
  12. Raider Champion New Player

thats fine, you meant to spell lose and you put loose instead. :)
  13. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Thanks for the help! Only after looking in a dictonary I realised that I must've been doing this one wrong for years... :oops:
    • Like x 2
  14. Raider Champion New Player

its all good, i just wanted to help. :D
  15. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Much apreciated!
  16. Brotherlobo New Player

Outstanding guide(s) -- one suggestion....there should be newbie category folder in the forums and this should be a sticky

Thanks
    • Like x 1
  17. La Shark Dedicated Player

This should definitely be on the front page of the forums home to better help new comers.
  18. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

I am thinking abouut making a new guide overview thread, because the old one seems to be not updated anymore.
    • Like x 1
  19. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

20. LadyLightning Issue Tracker Volunteer

Added:

How do I form a group?
    Should I do sidemissions?

removed:
    Why is nothing happening in the queue for PvP arenas?
    There are usually not enough players below level 30 who try to play PvP arenas and that is why it can be neverending. You will see this change when you reach level 30.

And I am very happy to see that the loading screen tooltips answer the questions of this FAQ now as well. Great work devs!